Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mountain Bikes

Jimbo4x4 said:
A word to the wise; do not be fooled by flashy looking disc brakes with cable calipers.

Cable calipers are next to useless so either get hydraulic calipers if you can afford it or v-brakes if you can't. Cable driven disc setup's might be priced inbetween but seriously, you might as well have a wooden stick to drag on the floor. They're worse than the old centre-pull's.

I only mention this as I've seen both Carrera and GT (possibly other big names too?) are outfitting some bikes with this technology :?

Jim.

Yes i second that Jim. I was actually sucked in and bought a bike that had these discs and cable/caliper and they are really crap.

Joe

Hey guys,

Just chose and reserved a bike from Halfords. I was in a bit of a hurry as I would like to take it with me to Scotland.
I have selected to setup the bike at home as the store can not have it ready by tomorow. Will ask again and see if they can do it..... what u think??

this is the bike
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_512507_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

I am also looking for a bike carrier, preferable for 2 bikes, any suggestions????

you will have to drop in at Bothybikes - Aviemore - if you goto that area, as lots of good biking trails in glenmore forest - to suit all abilities, from easy double track to knarly singletrack!

roof or rear towbar mounted bike carrier? -

pro's and con's of both

roof-mounted carrier (e.g. thule)
- you need a roof rack
- drags down fuel economy more
- you might forget bikes are on and drive into a multi-storey car park!
- hard to get bikes onto roof carriers on a tall vehcile like a LC without a ladder!!

tow-bar mounted (e.g. pendle)
- need a towbar!
- cant open rear boot when bikes on
- doesnt impact fuel economy as much
- easy to get on car
- make sure it clears the spare on back if you have one

i use pendle towbar mount.

you can get "spare tyre" mounted carriers, but they arent recommended.

you can also get bike carriers that are attached to rear of a car with straps, but they arent as strong as the roof carriers or towbar ones

www.roofbox.co.uk has ideas

I just put a spacer between the spare wheel and number plate holder on mine and put a bike on that but you'd need a swing out wheel carrier for that to work ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nav, I have a towball mounted rack you can have for a few beer tokens if you want

I'll do you some pics if you're interested...

Cheers

I'll have a looksee when I get home tonight Nav.

Cheers
Gav

Navraj Singh said:
Hey guys,

Just chose and reserved a bike from Halfords. I was in a bit of a hurry as I would like to take it with me to Scotland.
I have selected to setup the bike at home as the store can not have it ready by tomorow. Will ask again and see if they can do it..... what u think??

this is the bike
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_512507_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

I am also looking for a bike carrier, preferable for 2 bikes, any suggestions????

Looks like a nice choice :thumbup:

Mine needs renewing soon, I might plump for the same one.

I have a spare wheel mounting carrier and would not recommend it. Some of the noises the back door makes are a bit worrying sometimes :?
Jim.

Hi
I'm new to the forum and a new LC owner. Just bought a great left hand drive 2005 J12 120 from Spain, which I plan to export from London for my new life in Sweden.

I'm planning on fitting a towbar and would be very grateful for any insight into how best to do this (in London). I have also decided that the towbar mount is probably the way to go for bike racks as I think that roof mounts would risk taking out low bridges (given the height of the vehicle). Anyone know the best towbar mount bike rack for it?

I expect that the model of bike rack also influences the choice of towbar. I was offered a bike rack from the dealer which should fit outside the rear mounted extra wheel. However it required a "French fitment towbar" whatever that is. Anyone have any ideas?

I expect that the tilting bike rack models are really for hatchbacks and wouldn't be much help for the LC's swing door at the rear. Please let me know if anyone has experience with this.

Grateful for any insight.

Best Bruce.

Hi Nav, sorry for the delay in popping these up for you...

Here's the pics of the carrier that came with my truck when I bought it. There's a block that bolts between the towball bracket & the towball with a couple of tubes in; the arms then drop into these & are then secured by a pin.

Pics:

08082010981.jpg

08082010980.jpg

08082010982.jpg

08082010983.jpg

Definitely get a couple of bikes on there :thumbup: I've never used this one but have used similar in the past - I just gave a nice Witter one to my Dad...

If you want it, you can have the long bolts with it - you'll need them to bolt it all to your cruiser :cool:

Leave it with you dude.

Cheers
Gav

I wish I'd tidied the garden first... :roll:

You could well be right there Andy. Quite a pricey bit of kit that carrier of yours though eh... Hoping for Nav that it shouldn't be an issue as, IIRC, the Amazon's spare tyre is tucked away underneath the boot area... But it does depend which towbar Nav's truck is fitted with as to whether this rack will work for him.

This rack wouldn't fit my Colorado as it has a 'swan neck' type towball plus the tyre on the back to kybosch the whole shooting match!!!

Leave it with you Nav

Cheers
Gav

Cheers Gav,

I will put a pic of my tow bar up tomorow and see if it really can fit :eusa-think:

"Quite a pricey bit of kit that carrier of yours though eh.."

not when i bought it 10 years ago!

Touchez :clap: Actually, I was just having a quick look at your rack again Andy & reading the blurb raised another point that you ought to be aware of Nav - you will need to have a light board to go across your bikes with a number plate on it...

Its been a while since I regularly transported bikes on the back of the car but back in the day, plod were rather sharp picking on bikers without light boards... Things may have changed but it is a point worth talking about & you should probably thing about getting one...

Any experiences to assist chaps??

Gav Peter said:
Actually, I was just having a quick look at your rack again Andy

I beg your pardon? :shock:

I shall keep mine covered up in future :oops:

Jimbo4x4 said:
Gav Peter said:
Actually, I was just having a quick look at your rack again Andy

I beg your pardon? :shock:

I shall keep mine covered up in future :oops:
Oi, birds have racks; blokes have.... :hand: Yeah, not sure how to end that one off... 'Something else that has no interest to me' ;)

:lol:

Back