Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Moving tailgate ladder

jjsaul

Country Flag
uk
Our ladder is mounted in the usual place offset to the passenger side on the top tailgate. Is there any particular reason for this? Can I move the ladder across to the centre of the tailgate or is this going to put a lot more strain on hinges etc?
We used it for getting in and out of our roof tent.
The reason for moving it is that it currently fouls one of the arms of our 270 awning and stops us getting the tailgate above head height when the awning is deployed...

I don’t have a tailgate, my 80 has a ladder mounted on the LH door of the ambulance doors configuration, but seeing how the upper tailgate is mounted, hinged and fastened, I don’t see any reason why the ladder can’t be positioned anywhere along its width.

The only restrictions to consider are being able to reach the release catch and for visibility... along with accommodating your personal layout of auxiliary equipment.

Remember, the tailgate (and my ambulance door) are secured at 3 points of contact, the 2 hinges and the single catch mechanism. All 3 are very robust and an average person is probably only 80 - 100 kg (some members of this forum excepted.. :lol:) and the force is along the plane of the gate, meaning straight down, you’ll never be on the ladder with the tailgate open will you?

I’d say there’s no problem where you mount it, IMHO.

Back