Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Little roadtrip with my 90 (suspension question)

Brecht

Country Flag
belgium
Hey guys,

Doing my first little roadtrip right know through germany, only a few stops because I don't have a lot of free time right know, 1300km I guess.

Loaded with 2, rooftop tent, 270° awning, Dometic fridge, some kitchen stuff etc. Oh and 2 mtb on the back.
20230802_100606.jpg

The problem I noticed (even when the awning wasn't on yet) was that the back axle was already on the rubber block of the suspension stop. Is this normal or is my suspension just worn out? My roof has ~100kg on it. Lets say the boot is filled with 100-150kg. I would think that the suspension would be able to handle more that 250kg of cargo (without persons). I didn't fill my water tank because of this.
20230801_160857.jpg

Let me know what you guys think or experienced !

Attachments

• 20230801_160857.jpg
    20230801_160857.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230802_100606.jpg
    20230802_100606.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 15
Apart from any suspension problems there may be, I suspect the extended weight of carrier and 2 bikes behind the rear axle could be creating a cantilever effect, thus pulling lc down at the rear.
New/uprated springs/shockers would be an improvement on original/worn components for your use.

I tend to agree with TM - those extended carriers are bad news. But irrespective, the truck shouldn't be sitting on the bump stops with that little load, and personally I wouldn't drive a vehicle on the bump stops off-road. Can't comment on the specifics of 90 suspension, but I would be tempted to go with heavier (and slightly raised?) suspension if you plan on carrying on with that set up and have any intention of driving anywhere other than on tarmac. We fitted a +2" Pedders kit to our 80 series and have been pretty happy with it.

Apart from any suspension problems there may be, I suspect the extended weight of carrier and 2 bikes behind the rear axle could be creating a cantilever effect, thus pulling lc down at the rear.
New/uprated springs/shockers would be an improvement on original/worn components for your use.
Yeah, but it was the only way to take our mtbs with us as far as I know, and it's only 45kg but hanging 50cm behind the car like you said.

I tend to agree with TM - those extended carriers are bad news. But irrespective, the truck shouldn't be sitting on the bump stops with that little load, and personally I wouldn't drive a vehicle on the bump stops off-road. Can't comment on the specifics of 90 suspension, but I would be tempted to go with heavier (and slightly raised?) suspension if you plan on carrying on with that set up and have any intention of driving anywhere other than on tarmac. We fitted a +2" Pedders kit to our 80 series and have been pretty happy with it.
That's why I've not even drove over forestry tracks, only tarmac sadly. I said to myself a year ago if I had to renew my suspension it would be a lift kit. Not with a constant load because the only things I have on my car constantly is my roofrack and awning. I was suprised the vehicle was on bump stops already with this load.

Then the question comes what kind of liftkit ofcourse...

You guys ever take bikes on a trip?

How about adding air bags for when you go on tour? Air up for the trip.

But if you're running the original suspension then at this age they are at the end of their useful use.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I fitted spring assisters to one vehicle I had permanently loaded with a van vault + tools with a bike carrier (not your type) occasionally used, and had great results for little money.

How about adding air bags for when you go on tour? Air up for the trip.

But if you're running the original suspension then at this age they are at the end of their useful use.
Never really looked at this solution. Neither do I have the setup to quickly add airbags so I guess it is quite expensive with the compressor and running all the lines?

I fitted spring assisters to one vehicle I had permanently loaded with a van vault + tools with a bike carrier (not your type) occasionally used, and had great results for little money.
Never heard of spring assisters either?

Not sure what's available for the 90 but airbags inside the rear springs with a simple gauge work well and give a variable ride height depending on load.
Looking at your vehicle I would say your use doesn't warrant fitting a lift and with IFS they can bring on a whole bag of issues with drive shaft angles and camber , arb drop links etc on the front and arb drop links on the rear

Maybe just replace with new OE ride height springs from OME or Pedders and fit rear inside the spring air bags as the ultimate solution .

I run a very heavily ( read no available capacity ) Fiat Ducato van as my business vehicle.... rather than upgrade the rear leaf springs I fitted airbags that fit where the bump stops normally go ( Ducato rear bump stops are like 80 series front ones and act as a progressive stop ) They are brilliant and give a good ride and are infinitely adjustable..... so much so we put a set on our Ducato camper van as well , combined with Kings progressive front springs both ride better than any standard van .

Re air bags ....
You don't need a fancy compressor... use a normal air line or tyre pump to change the pressure ...you just have a valve and ideally a gauge mounted somewhere accessible..... I fitted the van ones in under an hour.

So after 2 months I've upgraded my suspension to the arb old man emu 2 inch lift! Conversion went smooth, the rear shocks have been replaced a couple of years ago by the previous owner... so it toon around 3 hours!

The ride height gaines around 6,5cm overall right after the conversion. Haven't checked it after 2 months of driving... but the ride is soooo much better with the new suspension!

Attachments

• 20231002_202322.jpg
    20231002_202322.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231002_203141.jpg
    20231002_203141.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231002_215452.jpg
    20231002_215452.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231002_230515.jpg
    20231002_230515.jpg