Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Must have (a) gadget

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
I have more gadgets than many men can dream about, or indeed many might think sensible. Some are in a box marked *** ***** ***** * ** ****, some are pretty good, some are simply awesome (more another day) and some just have this sort of basic functionality that puts a smile on your face when you use it.

I have had a **** weekend in Scotland where every thing that could could possibility think of went t**s up. Whilst I had other ways to cook and boil up a cuppa, none made me smile as much as this one. It's my storm kettle and yes, that is another kettle on top. Well it was cold, I hadn't washed for 2 days and I wanted my brekkie seeing as I was out on the hill at 6 in the morning. Yes, it's bulky and yes it gobbles fuel like the great fire of London, but it is the most fun.

28022010029.jpg

This was the best use I could find for the other gadget. Yes, the big blue (broken) Yamaha storm kettle stand.

C

I've got a kelly kettle like that but I haven't got one of those adapters for the top of the chimney, that's a good idea, even if you don't put anything on it because it should slow down the heat escaping and boil a bit quicker? Mine always took an age to boil so I gave up using it!

Really? Mine boils incredibly fast. They also do a grill to go on the base plate so that you can use it without the kettle to fry up on. The top is very simple Jon. It's aluminium two identical flat pieces one slotted from the top and one from the bottom so that they slot together to make a cross - yes? Take you five mins. Mine is a Storm Kettle not a Kelly but I think they are almost identical.

C

I have the grill for the bottom but where I got mine wasn't offering fancy kettle stands, have to have a think about that. When you say yours boils fast, do you mean kettle on kettle, of storm kettle on its own? My kettle on it's own was slow compared to my gas converted thing I can't remember the name of! Begins with a T!

Trangia was the name you were struggling for - or Teapot maybe.

No I was talking about the the storm kettle. I have a Trangia with gas conversion and that thing will melt steel! The pans / kettle are half litre and of course the Storm Kettle is a litre. If, like me you have little sticks cut and stored inside, there is very little needed to get going. I would say that it would boil a litre in abut 5 mins. That's a litre! Not bad really. Given the choice I would take the Trangia out with me as it is very very fast and good on gas usage too. But on a wild camp, having the SK is just more fun and nice and warm too.

C

That's the one - Trangia - very efficient but not as much fun :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Battery died Les, then the hand pull starter cable snapped, then the return spring snapped when I re wound it. At the bottom of a ravine. New battery, hand pull keeps snapping??? But this weekend the big blue kettle stand went really well. Handy for dragging big dead things.

C

Back