Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 2004 100 Series

That all sounds horribly familiar - I had exactly the same problem and took the same path to 'adjust' the motor position to get it to align.

Having put the brushes back the locker has never worked, I think there's a wiring fault somewhere.

My '100' is currently off the road for some serious body repairs, chassis painting and transmission servicing - but it will have to wait until the spring!

Bob.
I'm going to have to work through the wiring and see if power is getting where it should. i noticed the rear locker red lamp on the dash was really dim while flashing, not sure if that gives me any clues at this point.

Got the non starting issues sorted per other thread. just for sake on continuity of this thread placing a summary here.
Non starting issue - now fixed.
Truck needed a lot of cranking one morning after being moved earlier and starting fine. noticed also the cheap air compressor for the rear air bags was running weak. then truck refused to start at all. after several hours tracked it down to a broken and very flimsy earth wire from the EDU that powers the spill valve on the pump. it had been replaced by previous owner when he fitted the filler neck for the second tank. I replaced the earth wire a few times and still had an occasional fault so replaced it with a much beefier strap I made. All seems fine now.

Last edited:
last night i noticed the number plate light was out. took a look at it today and it is an aftermarket LED unit. have ordered replacement (and a spare) that should arrive tomorrow and will fit it then.

last night i noticed the number plate light was out. took a look at it today and it is an aftermarket LED unit. have ordered replacement (and a spare) that should arrive tomorrow and will fit it then.
New number plated light fitted. had to redo an earth connection back there as well. The old fitting was amusing at best, loving the stuck on tin foil to get it through its mot.

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

and after some messing. I wanted to use bolts to hold the lamp to the piece of steel but did not have small enough nuts. so cable ties for now.

IMG_3165.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Cant work out if i hit a tree / branch or a tree / branch hit the truck last night. driving back home in the heavy winds and dark and rain on an unlit road at 40mph, a really loud bang just above the left of the windscreen. Certainly made me and my stepdaughter jump. The truck had not moved off line. stopped at a petrol station about half a mile up the road. was followed in by a van. my mag mount cb aerial was now bent and stuck to the right of the truck behind the rear most drivers side window, as opposed to its normal roof position. whatever i hit impacted the front edge of the passenger side roof rail, and only scratched it. the van behind had more damage, just missed his windscreen but made some nice dents in the section of his roof above the windscreen. Exciting night.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Slight misfire - well that what it feels like. between 1400 and 1600 rpm i notice it. seems to be gone after sitting on the motorway for an hour or two and i dont notice it again for a few days. fuel filter changed recently and makes no difference. new earth on the EDU. I had noticed it well before the old earth gave in. intake has been cleaned and the egr has a metal blanking plate. otherwise truck seems to be running fine. pulls hard off the line and revs all the way to the red line if i stand on the loud pedal.
Valve clearance done last summer.
No DTC codes, mpg still really good (well i think so)

I ran a large can of liquid moly diesel purge through the pump / injectors 10000 miles back when i got the car. ill run another can through it later today to see if that helps. i suspect the injectors would benefit from an overhaul after about 20 years and 183000 plus miles.

any other suggestions of things i should check in the meantime gratefully received.

Last edited:
Does it run rough, or is it just down on power, between 1400 and 1600 rpm? Wondering about sticky turbo vanes hesitating before they get to full boost. These turbo's seem quite sensitive to fuel quality when they get sticky - so a tank of e.g. Shell or BP with the extra additives, seems to go easier on the VNT than a tank of JET for example.

Thanks Jon. It feels a little rough in that rev range but only if i am cruising at that speed. it is not bad, just i notice it more these days - so it might be a bit worse or it might be me being more attentive of it. If i sit in neutral and move the revs up slowly i can feel it too - like it is running on five not six, above or below that rev range i cannot feel it. powering up through the revs i dont notice it. i'll grab a tank of the pricey fuel and give it a go. i should probably give the old tug a good hard long push along a fast road to clear things out.
Did not get the moly done tonight - it is tipping it down again so I will do that tomorrow.

went out this morning and gave the engine a good workout on long runs up the hills to get the egts up. holding it in lock up as long as i could on some hills and then running the truck foot down up to the red line through the box on other hills. 20 minutes of italian tune up later no misfire that i can detect. as usual, little noticeable smoke. i reckon i need to give it some grief more often, and still think an injector service sometime this year would be in order. I used DieselBob last time to service the injectors on my Rav 4 so I might give him a go this time. I had used RVS in swindon previously on the injectors on the old green 80.

Last edited:
Just been to the pub. Drove it more briskly on the way. sat in the car park at the pub and the misfire was back when i tickled it up to 1400 rpm. ran the truck home through the hills and gave it some beans down the by pass. and at home in the drive way no misfire at 1400-1500 rpm. got to love an intermittent fault. i'll pull the MAF in the morning and run some cleaner over it. i was reading another thread on a different model 3.4 v6 petrol i think it was, where he had a bad misfire and los of power, turned out to be a bad MAF,
cleaning it will be easy enough, i have MAF cleaner on the shelf.

Last edited:
Cleaned the MAF - looks to me like it has never been cleaned. Fiddly to get out and one of the screws was pretty stuck. I shall report back.

Was a lot easier to get at and remove on my RAV4 that I did before the Landcruiser.

Last edited:
Finally got some new rubber. just need one more tyre for the spare now. Found a guy who had bought 4 x Falken Wildpeak AT3WA 275/65 R18 (that I was after) for his Discovery and decided after fitting and before driving they did not look meaty enough and he removed them from the rims. So i grabbed these 4 with zero miles today for £540. He was in Blackpool so I included a trip up to see my daughters in the Lakes. I will get another tyre ordered this week and then get them borrow my pals tyre machine and mount them later this week.

Managed to load them into my Rav4. There would have had more room if I had remembered to remove grandsons car seat before setting off! That Rav4 has been such a good wee car.

7AAF7807-5B7D-4B68-A924-9408BE1C9FD4.JPG

Last edited:
Back