Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 2004 100 Series

I wanted to replace the reflectors in the rear bumper. the previous owner had fitted leds which may have been pretty when new, but some of the diodes had failed and plastic had turned rather pink. i checked my local Toyota dealer and laughed when they said £50 each - for the small reflectors. so i opted for a cheap set from China came in about £12.

Double shrink wrapped the cut ends of the cable and taped them up out of the way.

We shall see how long the reflectors last. I think it looks better at the back now.

Changed the Bosch fuel filter out for a Toyota one. Nice that it was only hand tight.

Oil and filter change, Toyota oil filter. Mannoil 10w 40 semi synthetic oil again.

The passenger headlight and sidelight have been getting condensation / water ingress. so popped them out. some silicone around the edge of the sidelight and then Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure (used in boat portholes) on the carck in the plastic, and also all around the seal with the plastic and the glass on the headlight. We shall see how that fairs.

IMG_2715.png

IMG_2717.JPG

The passenger headlight and sidelight have been getting condensation / water ingress. so popped them out. some silicone around the edge of the sidelight and then Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure (used in boat portholes) on the carck in the plastic, and also all around the seal with the plastic and the glass on the headlight. We shall see how that fairs.
View attachment 332371
How is the headlight and Captain Tolley doing? You said crack in the plastic - where was the crack, any pics?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Has been ok so far. i'll keep an eye on it as the winter weather gets closer.

A very dissatisfactory third attempt to get my diff locker off to replace with the new unit. spent about 90 minutes chewing up the bottom left bolt on the locker housing. it is well stuck. i'll get her up on a large 4 poster ramp when i get back the week after next and have a proper go, rather than wriggling around under the truck on a damp driveway. if that fails we cam pop the diff off and have better access on a workbench.

if you can get your hands on a Sealey Induction heater, it just ... works. Quite amazing how effective it is at loosening obstinate nuts and bolts ...

Reactions: uHu
How are you getting on with your new front fog lights? I've just replaced mine again with a set from Roughtrax {depo i think}. There misting up again. I must of replaced these 4 times over the last 10 years.

Strange about the fog lights I've had me truck for nine years now been through deep water to the top of the tyres lashing rain at motorway speeds and have not had an issue with mine could swap them though for all your major organs and first dibs on the major organs on any great grandchildren oh and your right leg because im in need of a new one but only in blood group A+

The OEM fog lights never last long in our salty environment (because of salted winter roads), so I've found out that it is best to forget about them. "Delete them" as the yanks say. They don't give much of useful light in any case. I've fitted blind covers instead, part number 52127-60030 and 52128-60030, Toyota 52127-60030 (5212760030) COVER, FRONT BUMPER HOLE, RH - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
Either that, or fit some sealed led lamps instead.

How are you getting on with your new front fog lights? I've just replaced mine again with a set from Roughtrax {depo i think}. There misting up again. I must of replaced these 4 times over the last 10 years.
so far so good. they dont give out much light but i find them useful down the lanes and smaller dark roads around here.

if you can get your hands on a Sealey Induction heater, it just ... works. Quite amazing how effective it is at loosening obstinate nuts and bolts ...
Thank you. I have heard they are mighty good. i'll check my mate at his garage. going to get the old girl up on a ramp shortly and have a proper go stood up instead of crawling around underneath.

i ordered replacement front anti roll bar bushes from Amayama. As with the diff locker the delivery has got messed up. they got as far as clearing customs in the uk, and now they are in new york, usa. go figure.

Last edited:
Fitted the front anti roll bar bushes. Bit of a fiddly job, especially in this cold weather. The old ones were pretty much shot.

Last edited:
decided today would be a good day for swapping out the old difflock for the shiny new one.

took best part of 2 1/2 hours to get the old one out. seized bolts that i ground off (tight for space isnt it). then the aluminium plate was crumbling and stuck in places to the diff housing. so cleaned up the mating face.

and the fun begins when i went to refit the new locker. pretty sure there is no power to the plug that feeds the locker so i cant put it into the locked position for fitting. went for my multimeter and little test torch to find a pal had borrowed and not returned. by this time i am getting wet and running out of time and need the truck running to go and see someone.

when i offer the locker up to the mating surface on the diff and slide the rod into the hole it is about 7 or 8mm to short of where it needs to be for the bolt to go through.

and here’s the mistake. i thought ok, i need this thing back together and ill sort the power / wiring issue (maybe the switch on the dash) at a later date. to get the rod to the right length i thought i would pop the end off the motor and wind it in a bit to position the rod where it needed to be. then refit and we are all good for now.

Except obviously when i pull the cap off it pulls the rotor upwards and the sprung little brushes pop out. no problem, spend a while figuring out how to hold them in place. pushed the rotor home, seemed to be stuck for the last 5 mm or so having a stupidity spasm at this point i thought i’d encourage it home by leaning on it. and crack. one destroyed brush.

long story short ive put it all back together minus the broken brush. i can drive the truck but do want that locker sorted. any ideas if i can buy a couple of replacement brushes, don't want to fork out more than £500 for another locker? i went to pull apart the old one and salvage from that and its full of rust and dirt and water so i suspect they are passed it.

IMG_3025.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

persuaded the old locker cover off and spent a little time with a soft brush. i think i can salvage the brushes from this one. i think the rest of the unit is past its use by date,

IMG_3028.JPG

Last edited:
That all sounds horribly familiar - I had exactly the same problem and took the same path to 'adjust' the motor position to get it to align.

Having put the brushes back the locker has never worked, I think there's a wiring fault somewhere.

My '100' is currently off the road for some serious body repairs, chassis painting and transmission servicing - but it will have to wait until the spring!

Bob.

Back