Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

Good to hear. We have been away from home 72 hrs now and the temp down low on the sides has been -6 deg. But top middle is almost 5 deg higher. I will need to get this insulation thing sorted at the very first opportunity. Weve discarded the idea of using this mobicool as a freezer for the time being and just going with veggie and fruit fridge with some milk.

I'm going to add a second layer to the lid area as I think it's the weak area but only because there's space and I've got loads left, we've had dairy (including the cheese we stocked up on in hawes) fresh chicken and other meats (All went in Friday afternoon and some came back home Sunday eve), drinks, fruit and chocolate (that goes in the little top section) we had a good amount of rain so only had the rear door windows open an inch or so for ventilation, it was a warm weekend and when the sun was out the 80 being black gets hot quick. Everything has been fine, the bottom and sides are colder but overall temp was good. Extra drinks stored in the drawers got put in as needed and cooled down nicely even if up top.

I set it to 0 degrees and forget about it. It sits behind very dark glass too which probably helps.

Well I decided as it's been a nice evening I'd give the 80 a bit of a clean, it's had the black colour magic, the auto glym ultra deep shine and a coat of auto glym hard wax, I'm bloody knackered but it's come up nice.
The old girl will be 20 at the end of this year!! Does get used hard at times but always cleans up

20170618_211625.jpg

20170618_211649.jpg

20170618_211712.jpg
20170618_211727.jpg

This thread depresses me... :eusa-snooty:

80 shouldn't be that clean? :lol:

The bonnet took 2 coats of black, 2 coats of deep shine and a coat of hard wax!

Got a couple of nasty stone chips on the front I need to sort.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
80 shouldn't be that clean? :lol:

The bonnet took 2 coats of black, 2 coats of deep shine and a coat of hard wax!

Got a couple of nasty stone chips on the front I need to sort.

Maybe mine should, but never is, even after a wash!

It's beautiful Gary, you've found a way to 'use' it and keep it looking first class. It's a credit to you mate.

I'll stay with my ugly sister, I still love it... :lol:

wow that looks great. Im way too lazy to attempt that kind of finish .

Cheers. I think because i don't take it to pay and play sites it helps keep it nice, does get some scratchy lanes and has had a few knocks here and there.
I've had the abused off roader and the goal always has been to look after the 80. It's still a family vehicle after all.

Cheers. I think because i don't take it to pay and play sites it helps keep it nice, does get some scratchy lanes and has had a few knocks here and there.
I've had the abused off roader and the goal always has been to look after the 80. It's still a family vehicle after all.

That's what I was hoping to do with mine but the lacquer is coming off and some very deep scratches .

It does still come up.nicely with a good mop with cutting compound but doesn't stay clean due to how much I use it.

Well it's mileage check time, I bought the 80 november 2012 with 72k miles. It's not doing too bad.

I've probably put £3.5 to £4 k in fuel over the years so still below the purchase price of a similar diesel lol.

20170625_152044.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I was hoping to do with mine but the lacquer is coming off and some very deep scratches .

It does still come up.nicely with a good mop with cutting compound but doesn't stay clean due to how much I use it.
flash over time? does the 80 red fade like Vauxhall red used too?

can you show a closeup of the tray for the cooking stove and connectors. Thanks

Eventually got time to strip the front brakes (yep free time is that short) 2 seized pistons on one side and one on the other.
Boxed up and on their way to bigg red.
Should sort my pulling under heavy braking and judder.

Already got some new bits ready to go on while I wait for them to come back

20170703_201035.jpg

All new front flexi hoses, genuine pads and pins.
Need to replace the metal pipes on the front axle and the pipes from the abs to flexi hoses.

Will get that done hopefully before calipers come back but can see the 80 being on axle stands for a couple of weeks!!

Back