Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

Well it's one of those evenings today
20171017_171853.jpg

Got an issue with the heaters which I suspect is going to the panel but best to check!!

Gave the 80 a service
20171111_085722.jpg

Still needs a good wash underneath
20171111_090812.jpg

Went for a little drive on in the Dales
20171113_105156.jpg

20171113_115424.jpg

20171113_131812.jpg
20171113_131812.jpg

The new tyres perform well, better on rock with a few psi out though (no different to the bfg) had a fair bit of ice around and didn't have any issues.

Mot done today, nothing wrong with it and done the usual amount of miles
20180113_110213.jpg

For a change first attempt for the emissions and it's nice and clean. Usually takes a little persuasion to get it through lol.
20180113_110224.jpg

Not much has happened lately with the 80, had a few various issues with the heating system, need to remove the heater box as looks like a blend flap has possibly come loose/fallen apart.

It's a had a new cv after broke one in the snow/ice. Other then that it's been behaving itself and had some nice laning days.

It got a wash and much needed polish today and still shines.

20180708_122452.jpg

20180708_122522.jpg

Have a good shot showing the reflections in the paint but it won't upload

Beemer was feeling left out so that got a clean too lol
20180708_163227.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 80 really needs compounding then polishing and waxing to give it a deep shine again.
I've started to use spray detailers recently and they work very well. 2 hours work has brought it back to life, a full day will have it back to glory.

The Beemer gets done with a ceramic detailer as it's ceramic coated, helps maintain the coating and protect it. Can pretty much rinse dirt off with a hosepipe.

Reactions: Ben
This truck..
My goals. Super clean man, so clean is it hard to want to get it dirty?!

It doesn't often get dirty as such, I prefer rocky tracks more then anything.
It has it's fair share of scratches that need a bit of work tbh.

Well bit of an update with the 80, it's been a while...

It had a little cosmetic surgery on a sill, it got knocked last year and corrosion set in, so cut it out.

Had to take the slider and step off to get in. Bolts broke into the step so all drilled out and replaced with stainless.
20180912_185236.jpg

Had to rebuild the inner skin, the lower wheel arch and outer sill skin.
All new metal welded in, skim of filler then paint.

20180926_175758.jpg

After it's over heating episode it's also had the head gasket replaced, new genuine viscous fan, full service and some new hoses.

Heater issue now rectified by a bit of re wiring of how the system functions and bypassing some of the over complicated system. Will no longer work auto and the heater panel now directly controls the blend motor.

After an attempted theft it's had security improved too. (Won't be posting those details up)

Got some new covert amber emergency lighting to fit inside the stock lights, more for my safety when out with 4x4 response as too many reports of near misses.

Today it got treated to a wash, polish and a coat of ceramic wax.
She's got some shine back again, the paint was getting dull.
20181209_122452.jpg

Annoyingly I found the passenger footwell wet after washing it so either screen or sunroof to sort.

It has been nearly swapped for a brand new hilux tbh but I'll hold onto it a bit longer

Well bit of an update with the 80, it's been a while...

It had a little cosmetic surgery on a sill, it got knocked last year and corrosion set in, so cut it out.

Had to take the slider and step off to get in. Bolts broke into the step so all drilled out and replaced with stainless.
View attachment 152219

Had to rebuild the inner skin, the lower wheel arch and outer sill skin.
All new metal welded in, skim of filler then paint.

View attachment 152220

After it's over heating episode it's also had the head gasket replaced, new genuine viscous fan, full service and some new hoses.

Heater issue now rectified by a bit of re wiring of how the system functions and bypassing some of the over complicated system. Will no longer work auto and the heater panel now directly controls the blend motor.

After an attempted theft it's had security improved too. (Won't be posting those details up)

Got some new covert amber emergency lighting to fit inside the stock lights, more for my safety when out with 4x4 response as too many reports of near misses.

Today it got treated to a wash, polish and a coat of ceramic wax.
She's got some shine back again, the paint was getting dull.
View attachment 152221

Annoyingly I found the passenger footwell wet after washing it so either screen or sunroof to sort.

It has been nearly swapped for a brand new hilux tbh but I'll hold onto it a bit longer
A lot of the young farmers round here have gone from a 80 to a hilux. One came down today to pick some stuff up. He came in his new hilux. He still runs his 80. I asked him what he thought.. " its good yeah, but its no 80..."

Virtually all of them say this.

maybe when you have had the hilux a couple of three years and the young newer model has started to moan a bit, you'll remember all the good times you had with the 80.
Maybe in about five or six years you will get chatting with a fella at the petrol station filling up his 80.."aye, i used to own one of these. I should never of sold it ..."

Or maybe im just talking crap...

A lot of the young farmers round here have gone from a 80 to a hilux. One came down today to pick some stuff up. He came in his new hilux. He still runs his 80. I asked him what he thought.. " its good yeah, but its no 80..."

Virtually all of them say this.

maybe when you have had the hilux a couple of three years and the young newer model has started to moan a bit, you'll remember all the good times you had with the 80.
Maybe in about five or six years you will get chatting with a fella at the petrol station filling up his 80.."aye, i used to own one of these. I should never of sold it ..."

Or maybe im just talking crap...

I had one for a weekend and it's no 80 that's for sure, didn't have the soul and was a bit quiet lol (was the wrong colour and manual)
With a few personal touches it'd be a great motor.

It'd have to be specced and i really like the AT35. Would have to be an ex demo or a couple of years old so lost a big chunk of it's depreciation. If i dropped 40k on a motor I wouldn't be allowed to take it off road lol.

I've got a hilux and an 80 (Yes the hilux is pretty old too) but I drive the hilux every day but when I do get in the 80 and that's the tool of choice for any long drive or big trip it wins hands down every time. Just an awesome bit of kit, the hilux ain't bad don't get me wrong in fact it's better for ease to drive and fuel economy but it just doesn't feel right, the 80 feels invincible and once you've lived with the 2 I think you'll get what I mean......

I drove my 80 f9r the first time since April this weekend and was very surprised how small it felt compared to my d3. Never thought I would see the day when a 80 with a 4inch lift would seem small

My wife moans that the 80 is way to big for her to drive... but when you park up next to some of the Range Rovers/ X5 - there isn't much in it.

Yeah mine is the same will not drive the 80 but will the disco. So I put the measure ments in front of her and she said the 80 is just shit and doesn't want to drive it

Yeah mine is the same will not drive the 80 but will the disco. So I put the measure ments in front of her and she said the 80 is just shit and doesn't want to drive it

No taste or sense of adventure, some folks :lol:

D I V O R C E !
in the style of Billy Connolly

Theres plenty more fish in the sea stumog...

Back