Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

I got the boot all fitted out so the waffle boards and hi lift fit in, air compressor is mounted between the rear seats and the storage box, there is a load guard but hadn't refitted as need it out to pick the sliders up (when they're eventually done!!)
20130906_214205.jpg

had it's first decent run out this weekend since the lift etc, performed spot on and cruised happily. mpg taken a knock but to be expected and so has the gearing but nothing that wouldn't be expected, still pulls like a train lol

I got the boot all fitted out so the waffle boards and hi lift fit in, air compressor is mounted between the rear seats and the storage box, there is a load guard but hadn't refitted as need it out to pick the sliders up (when they're eventually done!!)
20130906_214205.jpg

had it's first decent run out this weekend since the lift etc, performed spot on and cruised happily. mpg taken a knock but to be expected and so has the gearing but nothing that wouldn't be expected, still pulls like a train lol

It's a beaut Gary, job well done there! :clap: looks the danglies on the wedding photo!

Hate to ask the awkward question, but will that HL jack actually lift your truck off the floor? I had the 36" version, sure lovely and compact but useless. I ended up with the 5' all steel model. PITA to put anywhere in or on the vehicle but anything less imply doesn't lift a wheel. Even on the sliders the 36" doesn't work unless you ratchet strap the axle to the chassis first.

It wouldn't lift the back end of the trooper so used one of those wheel adapters on that. Never had an issue when needed it.
Still to try on the lc tbh Chris (still waiting for my sliders!) There's a push chair in there currently instead of waffles etc lol.

Got some more tyres for the 80, rather then wearing out the 35's and the spare taking up a fair bit of boot space for day to day use, I've got some 255/85 16 cooper st's to go on the stock rims. they'll be better for winter and if do any sort of touring in it.
4 from ebay and I've got 3 to pick up from Chris, so a couple of spares that can always go on the roof if need to. Might even crack 17mpg :lol:

20130919_162952.jpg

excuse the weeds :oops:!!! waiting for a patio and few other jobs to be done following extending the house so garden is a bit unloved at the mo.

Been on with a bit more...

Gave the standard wheels a bit of a clean and paint ready to put the 33's on, no point wearing the 35's out when using it on the road and when winter weather hits we usually use my trucks rather then the focus.

20130922_202052.jpg
Good old concrete blocks to stand them on

I eventually got the sliders back from powder coat today

The drivers side has a guard for the cat convertors, burnt out 2 drills cutting the vent holes with hole saws!

20130930_174031.jpg

20130930_174200.jpg

Got them fitted, had to do a couple of tweaks here and there, should really have done before got them coated :eusa-whistle: little tickle with the grinder stopped the exhaust knocking when starting the engine :icon-biggrin:

I tried to keep the guard as high as possible and a nice tight fit so not always hitting it off road.

20130930_220740.jpg

20130930_220853.jpg

looking from underneath, the cats are fairly well protected so shouldn't get damaged. Where the exhaust routes under the chassis might be getting changed a bit, either get it closer to the chassis or re route over the top through a gap that's there, a little undecided about that currently.
20130930_221049.jpg

I've got the rear locker to sort this week which will hopefully repair after it failed while engaged :cry:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's all coming along nicely Gary! :icon-cool:

Gary
can we have a pic of the sliders side on to see the gap between the bottom of the door and the slidder.
they look very good and i like the idea of reusing the oe step top.
stu

Gary
can we have a pic of the sliders side on to see the gap between the bottom of the door and the slidder.
they look very good and i like the idea of reusing the oe step top.
stu

I'll get a pic from a bit further back, there's a pic on the 2nd page from the side when I was building them. They're 60x40x3mm box and the outer part tucks up under the step about 20mm. The steps still mount to the body and I've put some thick rubber sheet between them where they contact. I kinda like the look of stock steps plus the wife said to keep them lol

Cheers.

I will post a few more pics, got my transmission gaurd on now and steering gaurd just needs bolting on.
Had to take drivers side slider back off as the exhaust was hitting it under spirited driving :whistle: little tickle with the grinder and some paint it's a good un. Trimmed the rubber sheet down too so don't really see it now

I got the idea for the cat gaurd looking what people had done on mud, seemed to be a few variations. Did think about fitting the cats next to each other then route the exhaust over the chassis, didn't want to mess up the flow and cause a restriction, when I get a new exhaust and have the bend closer to the chassis, the gaurd should help protect it a bit.

Gonna start saving for a new exhaust and go stainless from cat back, get the bend under the chassis out The way a bit.

Lad who I share workshop with has dropped me in it though and decided doesn't want it anymore and moved out, gotta find someone who wants to share otherwise I'll have to move out too :-( will be gutted if have to give it up, great place to keep the 80 and work on it. Where else can you use a grinder at 1am with no complaints lol

Last edited:
A couple more pics...

one from the side

20131005_152702.jpg

And another shot from underneath with the trans guard on

20131004_235624.jpg

what size tyres you running truck looks great wish there was more black 80s

what size tyres you running truck looks great wish there was more black 80s

Running on 35x12.50, got some everyday tyres now too 255/85r16 rather then wearing out the 35's

Not seen many black ones, wasn't my first choice tbh and its a nightmare to keep clean, it ticked every other box on the wishlist though.

Well got on with some more, had to drop out of a trip to Tong as didn't want to embarrass myself with the locker issue and didn't fancy cleaning all the mud off to then fix it! Always next month :icon-biggrin:

Got my cb fitted, after changing my mind over and over the antenna ended up on the A bar
20131015_201218.jpg

The cb itself tucked away on the centre console, it's got an adhesive pad and cable tie (just incase) as there's not holes been drilled in the dash etc i'm trying to keep that way
20131016_211614.jpg

After the locker had to be stripped on a lane as it stuck engaged, I had a pile of bits and some magnets that were loose, I put it all back together making sure it went back as it should (kind of got it wrong but that's in another thread lol)

20131022_202533.jpg
magnets back in
20131022_202526.jpg

Refitted, binned the 10mm bolts as were more 9mm and found some 12mm ones the right fitment
20131024_203810.jpg

20131024_205918.jpg

20131024_205918.jpg

Got the 33's fitted (255/55r16) now I've got a full set thanks to Chris
They look a bit small next to the 35's :lol::lol:

20131024_210337.jpg

They're perfect for everyday use rather then wearing out my 35's :icon-biggrin:

Been where you were today. Rear locker off. You are right about the head being more 9mm than 10 mm. They're an 8mm thread with 10mm heads instead of the usual 12mm. Had to chisel one off. Motor replaced as it was easier. It fires perfectly. By hand the locker flicks across dead easy. Bolt it all together and it just isn't happy. It' sbinding somehow. If I slacken the bolts it locks. As soon as I nip them, it won't lock or release. Anyway, diff swap coming up so I guess it'll all work out at some point. At least it DOES work.

Been where you were today. Rear locker off. You are right about the head being more 9mm than 10 mm. They're an 8mm thread with 10mm heads instead of the usual 12mm. Had to chisel one off. Motor replaced as it was easier. It fires perfectly. By hand the locker flicks across dead easy. Bolt it all together and it just isn't happy. It' sbinding somehow. If I slacken the bolts it locks. As soon as I nip them, it won't lock or release. Anyway, diff swap coming up so I guess it'll all work out at some point. At least it DOES work.

Yeah had to chisel one off, top one too lol. I was being as careful as poss so didn't damage the locker! Gave them a test today to make sure all working, fired in no problem and back out. Rear works so much better then before it failed, do like being able to use Cdl in high range.

Mine was a top one as well. Broke the corner off the casting. But can fix with liquid metal. If I need to that is. Mine doesn't have a centre viscous coupling so not got quite the same drive potential off road without the locker, but odd thing is that when I lock the CD on this one, even a very slight turn on dry ground and it's grinding and complaining. On my other and previous one, I could pretty much do a three point turn with e CDL in. No problem. Does the VC still come into play with the CDL in so that there is still a bit of movement in that transfer case? Does anyone know?

Mine doesn't seem to complain too much if Cdl is in.
I was used to a truck without a cd which would stop if going slow in 4x4 on solid ground!

Back