• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, well, well... a big win late today.

As a last resort, I contacted the company that builds the Dakar trucks for MAN factory and regaled my story of woe. (with the help of German speaking buddy). Explained that I don't require race spec dampers as the truck won't be doing 150km+ off road and leaping into the air and if they could offer a solution as they built the truck.

Their response below

"Hello,
Thank you for the request.
We have enough from them on stock new but they are old 2008. Without guarantee we can give you them for not so much money.
There should sticker on the dampers with the SACHS number (there are 2 versions)."

After various emails, he offered them at a final price ... €250 each !!!!

I grabbed 12, 8 + 4 spare.... result as I got 12 original NOS for the cost of 1 Reiger.

Happy boy indeed.:dance::dance::dance:
Great Result! 24k is a bit steep for shocks!

I seem to recall Methyl Hydrate being squirted down brake lines to thaw them on Ice Road Truckers. :icon-biggrin:
Here endeth my knowledge on the subject.

As a truck mechanic all trucks fairly modern have air dryers as said, they're straight after the compressor. They should be changed every year and they're always full of crud. You can also drain the tanks individually which gets rid of a bit more moisture. In regards to alcohol or spraying anything in the lines I've never seen this done on anything, our climate must not warrant it I assume?

Grrrr, grrrr, and more grrrr

That's 2 alternators from this place, both allegedly brand new and both don't charge or give tacho signal.! :angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:.
Hours of fiddly contorted work to end up having to put the old one back in. That of course still works, got tacho signal and healthy 28.5v at the battery. Shop is sending out alternator no3 from a different supplier so one last try. Thats 4 times I've done a swap now, so at least I'm getting quicker at the job.

Whilst I had everything off, I took the opportunity to thread and cable-tie a spare fan belt to the housing, so it will take me a minute to slip it on and tighten, without having to remove fan and other paraphernalia...Every cloud they say !!!

In the plug of the new alternator is there the same amount of pins? If there is no rev counter I'd say the w line is missing and no charge could possibly from the d+ pin not being there? These could also be external on the alternator and not in the plug

Failing that rev it hard this might get the exciter working, at tick over it might not be enough to kick it in for the first time

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the plug of the new alternator is there the same amount of pins? If there is no rev counter I'd say the w line is missing and no charge could possibly from the d+ pin not being there? These could also be external on the alternator and not in the plug
Yep all pins match as part numbers are identical. Pins are also in the same location and wiring is correct. The plug can only install one way.

Failing that rev it hard this might get the exciter working, at tick over it might not be enough to kick it in for the first time
Yep tried that too on both Alternators to get the "w" to fire... nada. Only other thing it could be, is the wiring of the alternator is different and the pins are mismatched with my current set up.

If you ever need an extra pair of hands just ask. I know nothing but can hold stuff!

Could have done with them today for sure Nick.... Trying to lift the 50+kilo seats into the cab above my head and over and through the roll cage, was an almost impossible task for one. But they are finally in and wired up. Just taken truck for a drive to test the seats... what a difference riding on a cushion of air makes. Great for off road, but not too sure I like the sea sickness aspect whilst on tar!

fullsizeoutput_16c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16a.jpeg

Well feel.free to gimme a shout next time. I was in wgc this morning picking up some air fittings from a customer. Pays to be a nice driver. Got them for free :)

Could have done with them today for sure Nick.... Trying to lift the 50+kilo seats into the cab above my head and over and through the roll cage, was an almost impossible task for one. But they are finally in and wired up. Just taken truck for a drive to test the seats... what a difference riding on a cushion of air makes. Great for off road, but not too sure I like the sea sickness aspect whilst on tar!

View attachment 140000

View attachment 139999

Coo they look dead posh! Very nice indeed.

oh man, that truck is so cool !
btw normally you can regulate/switch off the damping of the seats.

The saga with the alternator continues. The third alternator arrived and in it went. Fired up the truck and still not charging, and no tacho.

Having removed the central instrument panel I checked the various bulbs and found a number were dead. New bulbs installed and surprise surprise, the battery/charge and EDC lights come on and stay on.
Re-installed the old alternator...again... and although I now have a working tacho and it's charging properly. the lamps don't go out.

Rather oddly, the heater/blower has packed up and one of the fuel transfer pumps has stopped working... I didn't disconnect or do anything other than swap alternators and replace 4 blown bulbs.
No blown fuses, no fuse link issues, no duff relays.

Obviously a more serious electrical problem lurks.

Truck now booked into MAN dealership next week for them to plug in and see whats what.

I can see the $$$$$$$ mounting up!

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I would have a revisit to the wiring in the dash that may have got disturbed since you removed the central instrument panel. Literally retrace your steps and look for loose wiring. There's a good chance the truck has had such a shaking in its life up til now that something is loose enough to drop off.
Worth putting a multimeter on the battery to see what's occurring with the charging voltage.

I would have a revisit to the wiring in the dash that may have got disturbed since you removed the central instrument panel. Literally retrace your steps and look for loose wiring. There's a good chance the truck has had such a shaking in its life up til now that something is loose enough to drop off
Worth putting a multimeter on the battery to see what's occurring with the charging voltage.

The central instrument cluster is quite simple. Consists of three multi-pin plugs and 17 bulbs. There is nothing to disturb or to fall off. The blown bulbs I replaced happened to be for the charging lamp, EDC lamp, PTO, and high range indicator.

Have put multimeter on batteries and getting 28.4v at idle, so alternator is charging properly.

Double check your Earthing....(not being an expert, but experienced similar speed traps) - my 2 c worth

ok -put us out of our suspense and tell us what you found?

Well a bigger problem than I had suspected. I managed to get use of MAN diagnostics on laptop, and there was no communication to the EDC. Also wasn't picking up constant or strong signal to the Alternator. Diagnosis showed a main loom breakdown and a list of other wiring issues. Found a number of pins in the main connectors that were corroded and needed replacing.

As this is going to be an overland truck taken to remote parts of the world, I need to have the electrics sorted, so took the truck to MAN for them to look at it properly. Was there on Saturday for a reoprt and update and they reported a number of problems with the main loom, it had been hacked into for all sorts of additional rally gear and other stuff. Most of the problems have been dealt with, however I have opted to get a new main EDC loom made for peace of mind.

Whilst it's there and no doubt going to cost £££, I've got them to sort out a few other niggles I have; may as well as they have the truck...economy of scale 'n all.

Learning a lot , that's for sure.

As nothing is happening with my new project, whilst MAN sort out the loom and wiring issues, I thought I'd post some picture of the cruiser, now its back in Blighty.

Took it out to wash, clean and sort it, however it was so bloody cold , I hoovered the worst and put it away again for a warmer day.

fullsizeoutput_1bc.jpeg

Gullwings

fullsizeoutput_1b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b8.jpeg

Rear drawers - 90l fridge removed for service and repair.
fullsizeoutput_1ad.jpeg

Fridge slide and under table
fullsizeoutput_1a0.jpeg

Cockpit
fullsizeoutput_1b9.jpeg

Arm rest/storage & cup holders
fullsizeoutput_1a2.jpeg

Bulkhead storage behind seats
fullsizeoutput_1ab.jpeg

Engine bay doesn't look too shabby. Still needs a thorough clean.
fullsizeoutput_1b4.jpeg

Indispensable Bonnet mat with webbing and straps, KC & Lazer LED spots
fullsizeoutput_195.jpeg

I have tied editing and deleting this last picture several times. I didn't upload or post this picture to my media.... how does it keep appearing in my post????
I deleted this thread once before as it kept pulling pictures from my Mac, into the post that I didn't not upload.

Whats going on ??? fullsizeoutput_19b.jpeg

Last edited:
Back