• Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
IMG_2705.JPG
Well after the extensive development of my HDJ81 and with a desire to spend more time in a vehicle exploring the world, I've come to very, very difficult decision that (we) need something bigger. More space, but equally as capable. This last requirement is almost an impossibility, as it is doubtful that I will replace the terrain beating capability of the 80 in its current form.

My initial interest began last year, when along with "Jerman" and "Stockton" we visited the Abenteur Allrad
show in Germany and saw the many different ( and some spectacularl, but eye-wateringly expensive) overland vehicles.

During our last drive from Cape town to Kilimanjaro earlier this year, we met several travellers with different vehicles and solutions, but none of them were what I felt were suitable as a base vehicle.

After a chance encounter in Botswana with a chap nicknamed "Mr Dakar"... ( he'd completed in 17 Paris-Dakar races), I decided after hours of discussions with him, that perhaps a vehicle made for serious off-road rallies would be a good base, from which to start a project. It has so very many advantages, and few disadvantages.

So after weeks of searching and many visits to Europe, these are my new Overland wheels.

MAN 18t.
Professionally built by MAN for the rally. Extensively uprated and improved with twin shocks all round, Full roll cage, special diffs with lockers, gearbox, H/L range, parabolic springs, and a host of other super- technical stuff including a 6,000km range. (expensive to fill up!)

16 speed manual; central tyre inflation system, ( 12 settings which allow inflation and deflation of all tyres simultaneously while on the move from 0.5bar to 5 bar)

520HP & 2900NM torque

Top speed limited to 220 kph scary stuff !!!

The idea is to build an overland truck (motorcaravan) with comfortable living accommodation at the rear. Final goal for the weight is 11t wet, with a GVM of 14t

As this is not a TOYOTA, there may be little interest in a build thread on here... but if there is, shout and I'll post more.

Lazz

Last edited:
That's pretty cool
This will be an interesting thread to follow ;)

having seen these beasts racing I'm sure it'll make a strong base to modify

Agreed, lots of transferable themes no doubt but happy to view elsewhere if thats the consensus

Nice truck!
Obviously you must have a big coffin of gold to deal with such a vehicle.
And Yes I want to see more.

I'd love to see more of your build as it progresses. Brilliant trucks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have also seen these beasts racing close at hand - very impressive. I am sure you are going to love it. And I certainly would like to read of your progress. Good luck:icon-biggrin:

Lazz, this is the Landcruiser OWNERS club. As you qualify with the aforementioned marque, I'd feel free to post whatever you like.

We demand it.

I was wondering when the beast was going to make an appearance.

Incidentally, what the paint shop quote you to respray it in that gold colour?

Impressive! You should have plenty of space to make a great camper on that platform. The Abentuer & Allrad show is a wonderland for an overlander. I'd love to follow your build on here.

What's the future for your 80? Staying in the fleet or is it off to new adventures with a new owner?

AWESOME! love it :) 6000km between fill ups.............omg, thats gonna hurt! if your passing through the Dordogne at any time, please call in I would love to see it :)

Last edited:
That'll be an awesome build.

We saw a unimog camper/overlander last week which had me drooling

Right you are then...

I'll post as it develops. It's going to be a big project so I reckon on about a year to complete.

CJ, that Gold colour is calling.... camel II perhaps??

Scott I haven't decided about the 80 yet. It has cost me many may thousands to build and is in excellent condition, ready to drive ROW. However it's worth a fraction of its build cost. So I'll see. I have had many people ask if I'll sell... if I get a sensible offer :think::think::think:....

Hi lazz love the truck please post a build thread .

I have some ideas of building one of these as I used to build commercial body's. If you want to discuss give me a shout.

Stu

1st class ride & camper, can't wait to follow this thread.

Congrats lazz, it's a beaut :thumbup:

Well after the extensive development of my HDJ81 and with a desire to spend more time in a vehicle exploring the world, I've come to very, very difficult decision that (we) need something bigger. More space, but equally as capable. This last requirement is almost an impossibility, as it is doubtful that I will replace the terrain beating capability of the 80 in its current form.

My initial interest began last year, when along with "Jerman" and "Stockton" we visited the Abenteur Allrad
show in Germany and saw the many different ( and some spectacularly and eye-wateringly expensive) overland vehicles.

During our last drive from Cape town to Kilimanjaro earlier this year, we met several travellers with different vehicles and solutions, but none of them were what I felt were suitable as a base vehicle.

After a chance encounter in Botswana with a chap nicknamed "Mr Dakar"... ( he'd completed in 17 Paris-Dakar races), I decided after hours of discussions with him, that perhaps a vehicle made for serious off-road rallies would be a good base, from which to start a project. It has so very many advantages, and few disadvantages.

So after weeks of searching and many visits to Europe, these are my new Overland wheels.

View attachment 132738

MAN 18t.
Professionally built by MAN for the rally. Extensively uprated and improved with twin shocks all round, Full roll cage, special diffs with lockers, gearbox, H/L range, parabolic springs, and a host of other super- technical stuff including a 6,000km range. (expensive to fill up!)

16 speed manual; central tyre inflation system, ( 12 settings which allow inflation and deflation of all tyres simultaneously while on the move from 0.5bar to 5 bar)

520HP & 2900NM torque

Top speed limited to 220 kph scary stuff !!!

The idea is to build an overland truck (motorcaravan) with comfortable living accommodation at the rear. Final goal for the weight is 11t wet, with a GVM of 14t

As this is not a TOYOTA, there may be little interest in a build thread on here... but if there is, shout and I'll post more.

Lazz
Oh yes Lazz keep posting please

Scott I haven't decided about the 80 yet. It has cost me many may thousands to build and is in excellent condition, ready to drive ROW. However it's worth a fraction of its build cost. So I'll see. I have had many people ask if I'll sell... if I get a sensible offer :think::think::think:....
Thanks for the reply Olazz, I'm not in the market, I was just wondering what you plans would be for the 80 after you've gone to such lengths to modify and adapter her to suit your overlanding requirements; you must have many great memories with the 80 as well.

All the best with the new project, we all love a project!

Awesome! :icon-biggrin:

Cant wait to see what you do to it and where you end up taking it! :thumbup:

Lovely!

Wait one... 16 speed manual. Did i read that right?

Back