Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My truck is marking its territory

you don't need an SST to remove the old oil seal, a large screwdriver will do to lever it out and you don't need an SST to fit the new one, just tap it in carefully with a hammer. Don't follow the FSM to torque the nut up, that's what has got Ryan into more work than he planned I think. Tighten the nut back up until the stake mark in the nut lines up with the stake slot in the pinion and stake it, job done.

Hey Dan,

Go with Jon's method! I have just finished taking the rear diff apart and replaced the crush spacer. I'll be putting the diff carrier tomorrow back in tomorrow and then putting it back into the axle.

On the plus side I found out where the "new leak" that appeared after I replaced the seal first time is coming from. My diff lock actuator is FUBAR. The section that bolts to the third member is so corroded it has split into two pieces...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, my diffs all sorted. All in not a hard job just time consuming!

One other pointer Dan. Check your diff breathers. I found my rear breather to be completely blocked. I have now extended both my front and rear breathers up into the engine bay. This could have aided the demise of the seal.

Jon, cheers for the tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back