Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need new front prop UJ's

Steve H

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys. When checking my truck today I noticed that both UJ's in the front prop are worn. Have filled them with grease at the moment to keep using the truck for a couple of days. What make of joints would you or have you used. I fitted a Roughtrax one in the rear last year. Milner use TOYO joints with the grease nipple on one end rather than in the middle, easier to get to. Will be looking to do these soon. Also am I right in thinking I can take off the front prop and use the truck with the centre diff locked without causing any damage? If I can the wife can use it while I replace the joints in the shed at my leisure.
Thanks in advance

Mustie1 on YouTube did the opposite (as in FWD only) with no ill effects. Probably not recommended by Toyota but I would do the same.

Yes to all Steve and i'd go for roughtrax rather than milners because i been running both my 90's on r/t ones for years hence i know they last , and while i bought milners for the 80 ive been telling myself ever since i need to remove the grease nipple before it gets snapped off .

I speed the whole process up by cutting 2 legs of the spider with a grinder which creates enough heat to have the rest come apart quite easy .

However long it takes you to get the prop off it will take you the same again to swap the uj and refit the prop .

The bolts have a minor spline by the way so undo the nut rather than turning the head of the bolts .

Historically the Toyo ones from Milner have not had a good reputation.

One thing I did notice with the 95 was a slight tendency to understeer under power with the front prop off, not a lot but might be worth bearing in mind.
GMB ujs (as sold by RT) have been fine for me, never tried the Toyo.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all your replies. Going to order the joints tomorrow along with a new gearbox mounting as that has come apart on one side as well. The joys of owning a 24 year old truck.
@Shayne Thanks for the heads up about the bolts ,will try and remember that when I take the prop off.:)

Back