Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need tyres - anyone else buying some?

Sam

Garage
Seems I need some new tyres for my 120... so I was wondering if anyone else was looking?

Not sure if it's a good idea to try and buy a job lot or not because unless you've all got tyre elves living in the garage I'm assuming they've still got to be fitted and balanced and stuff - so it could work out cheaper just to buy from a fitting place?

Thoughts?

Just checking I'm not missing out on an obvious way to save some cash.. cos here's the painful bit... I need 5 !!!!!!!

And while I'm here a quick preference check... LC is currently wearing Dunlop Grandtrek AT20s (265 x 65 x R17) .. any significant difference between these and General Grabber AT2 (other than the price) ? All suggestions / advice / donations appreciated ;)

+1 on the grabber AT2'S.

good on road, great life on tread ( 30k for me, still like new) good enough off road. money well spent.

I've got AT2s on the 120 and can't fault them. Done about 40 to 50 k on them and they still have a lot of thread on them. The fronts took a hammering after putting the bumper on but that could be speedy corners. :(

Got mine from event tyres for about 420 for 5.

I would get them again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Well i went for bf goodrich AT and love them i also went up a size to 265/70/17 but they are expensive as i also bought five i think they were about 150 each 2 1/2 years ago.

Joe

Thanks for the advice chaps - definately a toss up between the original dunlops and the GG AT then.
Looking like the Grabbers are coming in £30 cheaper but stock seems to be an issue online.

Crispin: The fronts took a hammering after putting the bumper on...
... that much heavier?

By the way... I meant to ask if you've got any pics laying around of the front of yours with the bumper and winch?
The zoom in my eyes isn't good enough to see your profile pic :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure if it was purely the bumper or a combination. The bumper is apparently 70kgs and the winch another 20-30(?) For most of the mileage I was doing London traffic. Shortly before putting the bumper on I had a new client which allows for an hour journey which has mostly 70+mph( :shifty: ) and a lot of round-abouts in between (hands up who knows Hemel...) and it is then that I noticed the fronts and not looking great. I've now swapped them to the rear in the hopes that they all finish at the same time.

I'll stick a pick up in the morning of them. I suspect the fronts (now rears...) have about 5-6mm left on them. Half the original 12mm.

I would go for them because a) they outlast the dunlops by a long way. I think I chewed a set of fronts in a few months with London traffic. b) They're cheaper c) They're great in the snow (when we finally get some :pray: ) The Dunlops were not found wanting in the snow but did have a tough time. The AT2s were simply good.

I think stock will be harder and harder to get now seeing as they are technically illegal in the UK from Jan (Think it is Jan).
A friend has the new style Grabber ATs on his Honda and says they are brilliant in snow.

Biggest hit on the Grabbers was fuel consumption. Out of all the bits I've done, they made the biggest difference. Used to get, if really really nice, 500-550 to a tank. Post them, it went to 500 only. (Those days are long gone now :( )

Note though that I stuck the 265 70 17s on.

i would put on bicycle tyres before putting Dunflops back on mine. Banana skins even ... Dunlops are that bad in comparison to everything else on the market. Remember Mr T put on the tyre that would be best in his opinion for 99% users - so that would be the mom's taxi school run stuff on a 120 (in most parts of the world).

I run Cooper STTs - very happy, but they seem to have cracked up quite badly, and have been sliced up by the shale in the Lakes, so will need replacing next year - haven't failed MOT yet becuase of them. Contemplating BFG ATs as I can't get KM2's ini my size, and also looking at Maxxis Bighorns or Maxxis Buckshots.

If I wanted ONLY an AT, then GG AT2 or BFG AT would be on top of the list - maybe the Mickey Thomson ATZ (or MTZ for rougher stuff - bit expensive though ...)

Others to consider (depending ion planned use and availability) are Yokohama Geolanda and Pirelli Scorpions - not on my list though :lol:

Cheers

Ouch!

Just spoke to local tyre chap (usually pretty reliable) and indeed getting hold of Grabber AT2s is not looking possible.
Best they can come up with is the Grabber AT... but at £160 a go I'm hurting...

Anyone know if the difference between the AT / AT2 is significant? I know it's the older one - but better than the OEM dunlop AT?

The general grabber ATs are replacing the AT2s, not logical i know. My understanding is that they are better on the road than the old ones but just as good off road... Odd this is that they are not on the manufactures website?!?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Can't get the AT2s for love nor money it seems!

Anyone tried the Dunlop AT3?

Event Tyres want £750 for 5 GG AT2s !!!! Anyone got a better price? :pray:

I'm using 265x65x17 - I'm thinking that changing to 75s is only going to strip the mpg so probably stick with the 65s for now... Unless someone thinks thats a silly call?

Event tyres can't give you 5, they've only got two in stock and can't get anymore, I've just been trying to get some 215/70/16's for my Lexus myself, they may have other sizes?

Ok so I'm thinking of replacing my GG AT2's 265/75/R16 for some muddies. I have 5 and all have 12mm tread except the spare which has 13mm and is brand new. Would you be interested in a second hand, very nearly new set of GG's.

Chris Green90 said:
Ok so I'm thinking of replacing my GG AT2's 265/75/R16 for some muddies. I have 5 and all have 12mm tread except the spare which has 13mm and is brand new. Would you be interested in a second hand, very nearly new set of GG's.
I would be, but they are probaly a bit too big for my Lexus, I need 215/70/16's

Chris Green90 said:

Good idea but Sam has got 17's on his 120 series.

Joe

Sam said:

I'm using 265x65x17 - I'm thinking that changing to 75s is only going to strip the mpg so probably stick with the 65s for now... Unless someone thinks thats a silly call?

the next size up is the 70 profile as i have on mine and i still get 27 mpg out of the kzt lump :thumbup:

Joe

silvercruiser said:
Sam said:

the next size up is the 70 profile as i have on mine and i still get 27 mpg out of the kzt lump :thumbup:

Joe
My Bad...Miss read that one

Thanks for the offer Chris but I'm looking at a possible trip covering over 3,000 miles mostly on tarmac... I know it's not a big step up but I expect it would make a significant difference to the mpg/cost on the run.... for now I think I'm gonna stick with the 65s - :thumbup: anyway though.

Chris Green90 said:

PM me what you want for the spare - I've been thinking of getting a 2nd spare to make rotations easier.

Back