Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New addition to the motor pool.

Nice motor but I guess not many people on here would buy one with their own money. Enjoy it while you can while someone else (sort of) foots the bill.
I recently got a new company motor and the best all rounder I could get for the £28.5k and CO2 limit was a Passat Estate (SE Business 150PS). My key requirements were decent boot (dog, children, stuff) and decent MPG and a bit of grunt. The only other possibilities (from what were were able to select from ) were the pointless BMW X1 and probably the Tiguan. They all have the same issues as I see it: shit boot space and a crappy parcel shelf thingy (instead of retractable cover) and useless centre seat for a given size of car. (The centre (half) seat is an item of mystery to me. My youngest hates been perched on it and it's not much better in the VW than the smaller SUVs. Why can't there be 3 equal sized smallish seats a la LC120 or XC90)? Most of these small SUVs (in diesel and petrol form) are also 2WD which is just daft. It's been a while since I had the chance to poke around a few brands and it made me realise just how many stupid pointless versions of cars exist in each brand.

The Passat has the Bluemotion gubbins in it and tbh it works well and is nice and seamless. 60+MPG is quite easy to achieve! However, if a private owner, DIY servicing is getting tricky as even the rear handbrake needs a laptop to do a pad change for example; a bit like Chris lifting the bonnet and closing it again.

Chris made the valid point about a few of the niggles and there's one that the Jap cars seem to have and it drives me nuts. Its the one where one-touch only seems to apply to the driver window and the rear window on/off button disables everything, even from the driver switch. Bloody cheapskates! The Euro cars, bad and all as some of them are, beat the Japs hands down when it comes to the finer details of day to day use. It's been a while but rant over!

To be fair the windows on this thing are so fast that you'd barely need the one touch. I'm just happy to be out of the Vexall. The biggest grip though by far is not having somewhere for my fuel card. I've tried everything. I've now taped a pocket to my mileage book and it's shoved in there. Overall, it's pretty nice to drive. Overtook a pedestrian driver today. shuffling along in a 50 zone. One press - whizz, gone. Quite impressive pick up. And that wasn't in sport mode.

Just as a postscript to the likely future of hydrogen powered fuel cell vehicles, there are proposals being muttered about converting the nations gas supply to hydrogen in order to meet climate change responsibilities. If (and it’s a big if) this does actually take off, any worry about filling points should be a thing of the past. Times of change (and the occasional loud bang) ahead !

there are proposals being muttered about converting the nations gas supply to hydrogen in order to meet climate change responsibilities.

Given that over 90% of commercially produced hydrogen currently comes from fossil fuels I think this is a very long way off.

Hydrogen production from natural gas is currently the most efficient and cost effective, the big downside being the by product of greenhouse gases. One ton of hydrogen produces around 10 tons of CO2!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good job my new RAV runs on petrol then ...

Sorry Chris, off at a tangent again with your thread, but what made me think about this was the plan to pump the CO2 produced by present means of hydrogen production into underground storage, mainly using the spaces left from oil and gas extraction, something else for future generations to sort out. With the plasma method, the carbon black produced is a solid, no CO2 given off. But as I said, I’m not sure how practical it would be on an industrial scale. Hopefully the oil and gas industry, or at least those who have a long term future in mind for their business, will see the benefits of this and develop it.

Nice car Chris should be good on winter roads with the right tyres, reliable and comfortable.
And in my opinion Co2 = plant food with regard to the thread jack.

It's OK, it wasn't much of a thread anyway and turned out to be very informative.

Back