Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
This weekend i am mostly going to be fitting these

SP_A0040.jpg

and these

SP_A0041.jpg

is there anything i need to be aware of before starting .... ????

If I did it again I would disconnect the brake lines so the axles can drop right down then the springs fit with no spring compressor hassles

Tie the front shocks closed with wire, fit easy then.

People said the front was more difficult but I found it a whole lot easier...

Any chance you could measure the shocks extended and compressed before you fit them? Pretty please! :pray:

Start hitting the relevant nuts and bolts with penetrant now, and every day until the weekend when you fit them. should make things easier on the day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ModelMakerMan said:
Any chance you could measure the shocks extended and compressed before you fit them? Pretty please! :pray:

yeah sure ..... will post the measurements tomorrow :thumbup:

The dampers have different size posts at one end (thick post & thin post)

Thick post free length
Thickpostfree.jpg

thick post compressed
Thickpostcompressed.jpg

thin post free
thinpostfree.jpg

thin post compressed
thinpostCompressed.jpg

Hope that helps

jeepmadmike said:
If I did it again I would disconnect the brake lines so the axles can drop right down then the springs fit with no spring compressor hassles

Tie the front shocks closed with wire, fit easy then.

People said the front was more difficult but I found it a whole lot easier...

i didnt need to disconnect any brake lines, and i didnt need spring compressors either, and that was fitting +2" springs! :?

with live axle vehicles you can use a trolley jack under one side of the axle, as you jack it up, the other side automaticaly drops allowing you to get the spring in. then simply move the trolley jack to the side youve just fitted the spring to and jack it up. this will compress the spring youve just fitted and allow you to push the other spring straight in. couldnt be simpler! :thumbup:

Ben I had no change to do that, could get away with it on one side but not the side with the flex hose

Thanks for that its a great help. Im assuming the thicker shocks are the rears and the thinner ones are the fronts? If that is the case then the rears are 145mm (5.75") longer on extension and 80mm (just over 3") longer when compressed than standard shocks. If the springs are +50mm (2") then you should get 95mm (3.75") extra droop on the rear though the 80mm (3") extra compressed length worries me a little but Ive yet to measure the actual ideal length with the axle fully articulated.

done the fronts, ...wasn't as bad as i thought they were going to be :thumbup:

old saggy springs and dampers
SP_A0043.jpg

Shiney new springs and dampers
SP_A0050.jpg

sorry if the pics aren't very good ....did them with my phone

Did you have the same issue as Mike with the top bush tubes - he made up new ones as the shocks didnt come with any.

Pete

Back