Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New calipers

silvercruiser

Ive been debating this for a while and every time i service the landcruiser i would take the pads out and give the pistons a free off to make sure i didnt warp my new grooved discs:icon-biggrin:, but last time i noticed the rubber boots had split slightly so i looked around and believe it or not euro car parts came in cheapest and they are from Pagid so seem nicely put together, ive also ordered some nice braided brake lines as the ones on it at the moment are the originals.

013.jpg

014.jpg

So i know what im doing on sunday.

Joe

Thanks for the link Rob, i checked and luckily for me they are the same price.:icon-biggrin:

Joe

Interesting, most service parts are cheaper.

Ok just re checked and they are £1.20 cheaper per caliper but im still happy but its good to know for future:thumbup:

Joe

Well i finished a bit earlier today and thought id swap my brakes over as my nice new braided brake lines had also turned up:dance:, But the calipers would not fit:angry-screaming: it must be an error on the website, my car is a 2000 X reg with the kz engine and they have sent me the front calipers for the 2001 d4d colorado. so when they open in the morning i will be on the phone. so it looks likes i wont be doing my brakes this week:(

Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Didn't realise the callipers were different, more power in the d4d I suppose. Had to do the rear myself as the truck failed the test on a brake imbalance. £130 from miners and very happy with the quality.

6d4ca7a5cd776d7e085e09a5ca73ea04_zpsf7b5b542.jpg

40125a053a02b7aed3a13f6809b99b53_zpsb080e4c4.jpg

Also did the anti roll bar bushes, embarrassingly beyond the sell by date...

df2a2bd84e2279e62a853662734459ff_zps6b6133ff.jpg

Prior to fitting the new caliper, I would suggest that you remove the rust from the edge/tip of the brake disc. This will help stop unnecessary wear to the pads. Also a smear of a copper based grease on the backs of the pads---where the pistons/caliper brackets touch---plus some on the anti rattle springs will stop squeaking.

Roger

Yes Bob the discs and calipers must be slightly larger for the power, as they just wouldn't fit and cheers Roger ive fitted them today with the customary copper slip as i do hate squeaky brakes:thumbup:. I take it your referring to bobs rear brake disc as i have fairly new grooved and dimpled discs all round so no lip for me:icon-biggrin:.

Joe

Bob - your new rear calipers and pads - did your old ones not have shim plates? I ask as you dont have them fitted to the new setup?

Pete

Nope, they went on exactly as the old one came off. And the only ones ever to touch the back brakes on this truck were Toyota since I got it until last weekend. Would all of them have shims fitted? And would it have much effect on braking.. As I had cause to drop anchor in a hurry yesterday and there was no problem with stopping

I have to say that I never have put copper grease anywhere near any of my brakes - ever - and have never suffered with any noises. But, I have always had the anti-squeal shims in there, which I noticed were missing too. There should really be two plates on top of each other, one slotted and one plain.
No they don't have anything to do with braking effect, they are there to prevent pad chatter IIRC.

Wonder where they went. They would deff have been there originally.

Chris

I honestly don't know Chris. I bought the truck from a Toyota main dealer and it had rear brakes done there about 25,000 miles ago. Then I replaced pads on both sides with the calliper and there were no shims to be seen. Would it be worth getting a set and putting them in? Like you I have never had even a mouse squeak from my brakes.

Cheers for the input fellas, And sorry for the thread hijack :text-imsorry:

Bob

I can't say Bob. It's always difficult to advise when you are not entirely clear on why they were there to start with. I am a bit of a purist, so I would buy some and put them in or it would be on my 'to do' list forever. And that would drive me nuts.

Chris

I'll look into that so. I have a couple of other small jobs to do anyway. Main thing is, it should now pass the re-test tomorrow afternoon and I can tax it then!!

Ive looked on milners web sight and they are now listing the rear brake shims.

Joe

I didnt have any fitted on mine, noticed it when I replaced the discs and pads a couple of weeks back. I will get some as I have a slight chatter on the back end, which I think is down to lack of the shims.

These things are always fitted for a reason, I try and keep with original plans if I can. I only have half the amount of springs on the pads that there should be, so will need to pick some of them up as well.

Pete

The milner kit is for just one side? It should be two plates and four springs per caliper, same as front?

Cheers for the link Joe! :thumbup: Interestingly no chatter or squeal from the brakes at the mo, but will get a set of shims and throw them in anyway.

Learn something new every day... and I'm a teacher!!

Back