Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New D4D Owner - Help Needed

birdy81uk

Hi all just purchased a 2001 colorado 3.0 d4d gx - needed a tow car for the other halfs horse trailer and the bmw wasnt up to the task!

anyway, got to say am well impressed with car a lot quicker and better handling than i anticipated. It came via a country estate where it had been serviced every 9-10k miles so should hopefully sound mechanically! just needed a good bloody clean!

as usual with a second hand motor i have found a couple of issues which need to be sorted out,

first one i have solved - handbrake warning light kept coming on then stayed on for a day or two when driving - quick trip to halfords to get some brake fluid and a quick top fixed that one!

other problem is the locking - came with the one toyota master key with the lock unlock buttons on, have changed the battery and confirmed that that the fobs emitting a signal however no response from the car. the electrics place i went to printed me off the open door close door etc instructions to sync the fob and car but still cant it to work - any ideas?

other locking problem is with the drivers door - the key will not turn anti clockwise to unlock the doors, turns clockwise fine to lock - any ideas what this could be? just getting a bit annoying as having to open with key via the passenger door given the remote fob not working too!

one of the front fog light covers needs taken off and cleaned - anyone got an idea how to get the cover off?

front suspension sounds a bit clunky when going over bumps - this may be perfectly normal but just thought i would ask,

also was looking for the toolkit but none in the place it should be, only the jack - any idea the best place to source one of these kits?

hope the land cruiser folk can shed any light on my issues,

cheers

Talk about deja vu. You're not my next door neighbour by any chance?

Try pressing and holding both fob buttons at the same time for a few seconds. This sometimes re-syncs the fob. You might need to reset the alarm ECU to the fob. This involves ripping the car to bits to get to the brains with you poke with a pen and hold the fob buttons down. You can get a genuine Toyota lock and two keys from the main dealer for around £40 if you can't cure the jammed lock.

Are you sure you're not my neighbour? :think:
51 plate, BMW horsebox, broken lock, fob not working? Aaron, mate I think someone's nicked your cruiser!

Chris

!

I was just reading this Chris and thinking exactly the same. 51 plate D4D check, Mrs needs it for towing horsebox check, BMW not up to towing check, Key fob not working but emitting a signal check, drivers door lock seized anti-clockwise check.............How bizarre!!Are you sure that you haven't nicked my cruiser?? Haha.

I've had this locking problem for over a week and still not got to the bottom of it!! Try checking all of the fuses incase one of them has blown.
If not you can get a key refurb from ebay for £30 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Repair-Voucher-To ... 335cf465a9
If that doesn't work you can get a replacement lock barrel from Toyota, if you want one the same as your car key its approx £58+VAT (no keys included), if you want one with 2 new keys (different to your key that you have) then its approx £38+VAT.
I am going to firstly get the key refurbed at a local garage and see if that makes any difference, if that fails going to go for the cheaper lock system and have a key to open the car and another one to start it and do away with the remote locking.

I hope this helps, however if you do manage to get to the bottom of your problems with your remote locking then PM me and ill give it a whirl on mine. I'll do likewise and let you know if I manage to sort mine!!

Good Luck,
Aaron

Ha Ha just reading the replies - a bit spooky that! Chris - safe to say i am not impersonating your neighbour and have nicked his car! lol

the locking problem is causing me the biggest gripe as its so bloody annoying having to unlock from passenger side - think i might look into the new fobs on ebay as need the remote locking working as feels like i have gone back in time having to use the key to get in and out,

so you know all these instructions telling you put key in ignition then take out open and close door twice etc etc - are these not for the remote reset? is this to do the imobiliser?

Aaron - sounds like our motors were wired up by the same factory worker last thing on a friday ha ha, dont tell me yours is black as well?

Mind you used it to tow a couple of horses today and it was superb - used an xtrail a bit previously and the weight nearly ripped the back end of the car off!

one more thing what pressure have you chaps got tyres at out of interest?

Aaron i will give you a shout if i solve locking fiasco

cheers

Back