Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Fuel tank?

Tim Kelly

Hi folks.

My lovely '97 colorado is having a bit of a non toyotaish moment. Last week we broke down on the M25 with the head gasket going complete with cracked head, so it's at the garage threatening me with a 2k bill, at the same time the fuel tank has started leaking. I've spent a fair bit of time googling around but not come up with anywhere I can get a new tank. There's a place in Hartlepool who will repair it for about £300, but I figure it would be easier to just get a new tank.

Any suggestions where I might get one from?

Where exactly is it leaking from?

Common issue is a leak from the top front of the tank by the fuel pipe which gets corroded. That is easy (and cheap) to fix.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't dropped the tank out to check, but it's leaking even when there's not much fuel in the tank, so I'm assuming the leak isn't at the top of the tank anywhere.

2k for the head repairs is a lot mate!!! :shock:

When I first had my head problems, the guys swapped the complete engine for a jap Import engine and that cost me £1500. But that was a low mileage engine.

You're probably best picking up a good second hand tank from a breakers, they're probably charge you £50 for it. Good luck!

Probably. It needs a new head as the old one was sent away to the head skimming bloke. He said the head had already been skimmed, so they had to check the tolerances to see whether there was enough meat in it to skim again. Then he found a crack in the head, so we need a new one. It's been sitting on one of the lifts in the garage for a week now taking up their work space. London ain't the cheapest place to get cars repaired either!

Is there nowhere that makes pattern tanks or even better plastic replacement tanks?

The simplest option would be to get a good used tank from a breakers - that would get you mobile for not a lot of money while you look at other long-term options if that is what you want, ultimately.

Give Karl Webster a call here: http://www.landcruiserparts.co.uk/toyota/index.php

Karl may be able to source one for you.

I assume you have the 1KZ-TE motor ( :? ). When I cracked a head I got a fully-built-up replacement from Roughtrax - it has been fine :thumbup: .

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=621

I suppose in London the hourly rate pushes the price up :doh: .

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Bob. :thumbup:

Looks like a second hand tank will be the best option. I'll check out your head place too. much appreciated.

Back