Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
:mrgreen:

I tried convincing Jess an Android device made more sense but she's insisted on having an ipad 3 so she can play Sims free or something. Anyway, what a horrible device it is to use! Just setting it up for her, no two apps have the same button or even buttons in the same place for the next step, or to go back a step, often there isn't a button to go back a step and you have to start again from the beginning, if it will let you :evil: sometimes the home button takes you to 'home', sometimes it's a back button, sometimes you have to look for the particular apps back button only it may be labeled as something else and in a different place to the last app! For an interface that's supposed to lead the market it's very poorly designed. Reminded me why I hate iphones so much as well :twisted:

Oh yes, how do you get caps lock? Must be some special iCombination to do that surely?

Just wanted a rant :mrgreen:

Funny isn't - for the Apple fans (and their numbers are growing by the second), there isn't a better invention since sliced bread, actually it's probably rated better than sliced bread. :?

I've never used a iPhone/iPad for more than a few minutes whilst browsing in John Lewis/Comet/Carphone Warehouse etc. So can't really comment on the user interface. However they certainly seem to have showroom appeal and the little things such as the snazzy folding iPad cover add to that appeal. :cool:

Having said all that, when I do decide to go for a tablet or new smartphone, it will be Android based. :thumbup:

Jon, double tap the shift button, it'll go dark blue = caps lock

adrianr said:
Jon, double tap the shift button, it'll go dark blue = caps lock
Thanks, we already tried pressing shift twice which is much easier, more intuative and oh what every one else does :evil:

:lol:

Welcome to the world of uncontrolled, standard-less development.

Don't look at android though - video drivers behave differently depending on what hardware platform you port to - absolute chaos.

Thank goodness it's not used for life-support systems - yet!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
So is an Android tablet like a Samsung the way to go then?

No clue, never used one. But if you want versatility out of the ipad then jailbreaking it is an option...

I have an iphone and I'm really happy with it. I've been playing around with navigation apps recently and after a bit of fiddling and jailbreaking I can now link my iphone to a £10 bluetooth gps puck I bought off of ebay and have memory map running for green laning (which has been tweaked so I can run a load of maps I acquired from a friend without purchasing licences for each one :shifty: ), as well as Navfree for day to day duties, which is free and more up to date that my Garmin Nuvi map wise. There are also apps that you can load the T4A maps onto...

I definitely want to get my hands on an ipad now, it would be great for navigation with the bigger screen!

Not sure what the down side is really...

Jess seems happy enough with it so job done I was just very surprised how clunky it was to set up.

I used a mapping app called "Bit Map" for the iPad on my recent trip, and I like it a lot :thumbup: The Memory Map app is also good.

The iPad was bought as a Christmas present from my better half, to replace my original navigation tablet, and so far it has the thumbs from both of us. My old tablet was quite old though, and is a long way behind the current crop on the market.

My iPad is wifi only so it has no internal gps, at first I thought this was going to cause me an issue, but a bit of research showed that I could use a plug in device called "Ultimate Gps". It turns out that this gps unit is more accurate than the apple internal gps, so far so good, it's getting great signal mounted on the dash. Plus I can dialogue with and charge the iPad through the device.

It was nice on our last night on the road that I'd loaded the pics off of the camera, and we sat there after dinner watching a slide show of our trip pics, accompanied by music on the device.

(Posted on an iPad) :shifty:

Re: Re: new ipad, what a horrid interface

Andrew Prince said:
So is an Android tablet like a Samsung the way to go then?

I have a sumsung and would not buy another. Clunky, often has pregnant pauses for unknown reasons, faulty screen problem, I could go on.
Biggest letdown was bringing a bunch of 4x4 magazines on a flight to sa and it could not load them due to size. They were only 50 - 80MB! The ones which did load were slow to scroll.

Frequent browser restarts needed because it hangs or becomes slow.

Really don't think it's a great think...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

No I won't , not on this debate

I like Macs and iPhones but as yet I simply cannot think of any reason I'd want an iPad. I just don't get it. I have fiddled about with one on a display and all I do is stare at it blankly and end up pressing buttons on the calculator. Hmm £500 for a calculator ?

Nah.But feel free to fill yer boots

Chris

Main reason I was steering Jess towards an Andriod tablet was she uses a lot of web sites that are Flash based and AFAIK i devices don't do Flash. So long as she can stick lots of games on it'll be fine, it's mainly to help keep her entertained while we're traveling long distances in a few weeks.

Just don't rely too much on your iDevice for nav work - it uses 'assisted GPS' which triangulates off cell towers and uses other tech to work out where you are - so elevation is often way out, and in poor-signal areas you're pretty stuffed. Or so I'm told. Don't think there is actually a GPS receiver in the iPhone or iPad?

Jon - sounds like job done for Jess - meets her needs :lol:

Cheers

Scott said:
I used a mapping app called "Bit Map" for the iPad on my recent trip, and I like it a lot :thumbup: The Memory Map app is also good.
How do you cope with the shiny screen Scott? I thought I'd check out the app store for map apps and happened to be sitting with my back to a window and had to give up because I couldn't read what was on the screen :(

Just don't rely too much on your iDevice for nav work - it uses 'assisted GPS' which triangulates off cell towers and uses other tech to work out where you are - so elevation is often way out, and in poor-signal areas you're pretty stuffed. Or so I'm told. Don't think there is actually a GPS receiver in the iPhone or iPad?

Jon - sounds like job done for Jess - meets her needs :lol:

Cheers

Gary Stockton said:
.... Thank goodness it's not used for life-support systems - yet!!
But it will be replacing the 'Observation Charts' that you see at the end of patients beds soon :thumbup:

:::.Sent from my iPad while still in bed..... the Mrs is in Majorca and I'm having a lazy day.:::

One mans meat is another mans poison I guess :mrgreen:

The Samsung is a very close competitor to the iPad and I nearly went with it so many times while trying to make my descision what way to go, but in the end bought the iPad3 64G 3/4G and love it, love it, love it :D :D :D

Insidently the sales of the new Samsung have just been suspended in the US due to its closeness to the iPad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Since buying the iPad we have completely embraced all that is Apple & now have an iPhone each (another awesome device) & an iPod with Dock for music and internet radio in the kitchen. We have set up iCloud so that absolutely everything on each device is backed up without having to think about it. All our diaries are linked so that when I add an event onto my iPhone calender moments later it lands onto all the other devices so no more diary clashes..............I could go on & on, but I do love mine despite the one or two quirks that it has :D :D :D

Back