Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

new ipad, what a horrid interface

Gary Stockton said:
Just don't rely too much on your iDevice for nav work - it uses 'assisted GPS' which triangulates off cell towers and uses other tech to work out where you are - so elevation is often way out, and in poor-signal areas you're pretty stuffed. Or so I'm told. Don't think there is actually a GPS receiver in the iPhone or iPad?
Oh yes there is! Well in the iPhone and the 3G & 4G iPads there is an accurate real GPS chip set :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: True & as Scott mentioned, the WiFi only versions of the iPad don't have a real GPS and use phone masts and the internet to give a virtual position and require a stand alone device for autonomous and or accurate position fixing, but still work very well once one of these is utilised. I only bought the 4G version of the iPad3 for this reason & this reason alone as I didn't want another bit of kit to have to worry about interfacing. Although I'd expect that it would just work first time and always if it were an Apple approved device :D

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12339

sae70 said:
I took delivery of a new iPad3 in the last two weeks :D I ended up getting the 64Gb 4G one but you can run MM on both the 16Gb wifi version as well as the 16Gb 4G, if you get any of the wifi versions of the iPad you will need an additional BlueTooth GPS aerial. Not a concern with any of the 3G or 4G iPads as these all have a real GPS chip set built in. I also bought MemoryMap last week that is now staggeringly only £99 :thumbup: It's all loaded onto the iPad now from off of my normal PC through iTunes and works as sweet as a nut :D :D I did a 230miles journey on Wednesday with it running in the car mapping & tracking my route with no trouble, except for needing to be plugged in to charge as when the GPS is running it uses power a little quicker. The new Retina screen on my iPad3 is better than HD quality and has to be seen to be believed and with the brightness turned up was easy to read. I Will update with photos and more detail but I'm away from home at this moment in time and 'am short of time.

Hope that this has helped :)

Watching this debate with interest....

Having borrowed one for a few days I'm now also sold... Mine (iPad3 32G 3/4G) arrives tomorrow...
I also had some issues whilst trialling - but at the end of the day it'll be used as a toy on long journeys and surfing etc... (not to mention keeping the kids quiet!).

So now I'm now looking back over the old threads to see how these are being mounted - and once it arrives I'll be playing with the MM apps etc...

(FWIW - I've also decided to try an iMac!)

Jon Wildsmith said:
How do you cope with the shiny screen Scott? I thought I'd check out the app store for map apps and happened to be sitting with my back to a window and had to give up because I couldn't read what was on the screen :(
Only once during the trip, when the sun was low and coming through the drivers window I had some glare off of the screen, but I was still able to read it no problem.

I have mine Ram mounted, similar to Steven's. My 80 had an old phone kit mounted to the dash just to the left of the stereo, so a bought a Ram mount 1.5" ball and mounted that in its place. Then I used the 4.5" arm and the Ram iPad holder, it positions the iPad towards me and across the front of the stereo. I think in that position it's well protected from the suns glare, and the ultimate gps has no problem getting signal.

My old tablet mounts on the centre of the dash top, and I used to find the sun affected the screen more in that position.

With regard to the Bit Map app, it's worth while downloading the user manual and having a read, then all becomes clear about how easy it is to use. (Its only a few pages long). The only issue I've had with Bit Map so far is getting the maps and routes onto it, I also got a mate who's way more computer savvy than me to have a go and still we couldn't get them on via the USB cable. In the end we got around it by emailing the data to myself and then using the "open the email with Bit Map" option, and the data was there all ready to use.

I have the user manuals for both Bit Map and Memory Map saved as PDF's on the iPad and iPhone4, so that I can look up any issues I have whilst on the road.

Gary - With regard to your comment about the assisted GPS on i devices, yes some use known locations via wifi to calculate their position, and some have a gps built into them. There's loads of discussions on the web about them, so if anyones interested have a read.

In my case, my iPad is wifi only and has no GPS, so I bought this https://www.emprum.com/shop/product_inf ... ducts_id=1 and as mentioned in my earlier post, I'm very happy with it. Some reports on the web say that's it's more accurate than the apple GPS, but I can't comment on that. All I can say is that so far it's done it's job without issue.

Jon - With regard to Flash not being supported on i devices, yes that's quite annoying at times.

On the whole I've been very pleased with my iPhone & iPad, and I hope to get a Mac book pro soon.

(posted via my iPhone4, ok I'll stop now!)

(Edit: I see Steven has already posted about the GPS whilst I've been typing.)

Not sure about the gps chipset in the iPhone 4. If I don't have signal I can't get a fix on my position. That's why I bought a Bluetooth gps puck. I can get a fix now when in airplane mode (all phone signal stuff and wifi turned off).

Apple use A-GPS (Assisted-GPS) in all of the iPhones from the 3G up, exactly the same as used in the iPad 3&4G's. It's a real/true GPS chip that also uses Cellular phone masts & Wifi Hotspots to give a faster more accurate position. They also have an integrated digital compass to provide the direction that one is travelling in. When I'm using the iPad for navigation in the truck I have no Wifi connection & no 3G SIM fitted, so no Cellular mast information & no stand alone GPS receiver, it's just using its real/true intergrated GPS, as fitted in the iPhones to provide my location.

I have never considered a iPhone or iPad hard to use!

My daughter could use my iPhone when she was 3....?

I've had my iPad for 2+ years. it gets used for hours a day for everything for word processing shread sheets, store and view hundreds of PDF's and pictures. I find a PC frustrating now -turn it on wait, wait some more and finally do some thing :x but then I only spend 30% of my time desk bound.

The iCloud just makes it better still but that's another story.

PS
I wasn't always a apple person, I didnt want a iPhone but I'm a convert.

iClostly yes but in 4 years I have only killed one iPhone- I dropped it in my stream- I think the drop from the top of the ladder did more damage than the water. It still works but has no reception! Nokias used to last 6 months

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
jeepmadmike said:
Nokias used to last 6 months
Their smart phones yes, but their simple phones used to last years

Nope old school nokias used to last 6months

Buttons used to stop working.

Speakers fill with metallic swarf.

But a motorola I tried once lasted a few days, I dropped that down a 30m shaft so that's not really a true representation of the phone- but it was awful to use!

Dropped it in your stream Mike? You should stop making calls in the loo then! :lol:

Chris

It's not hard to use, just unpleasant and full of stupid design choices.

sae70 said:
Apple use A-GPS (Assisted-GPS) in all of the iPhones from the 3G up, exactly the same as used in the iPad 3&4G's. It's a real/true GPS chip that also uses Cellular phone masts & Wifi Hotspots to give a faster more accurate position. They also have an integrated digital compass to provide the direction that one is travelling in. When I'm using the iPad for navigation in the truck I have no Wifi connection & no 3G SIM fitted, so no Cellular mast information & no stand alone GPS receiver, it's just using its real/true intergrated GPS, as fitted in the iPhones to provide my location.

x2 We used an iphone with the Copilot app in Australia with roaming and data switched off and it worked VERY well on GPS only including locking on for initial location. Only went dicky in South Geelong for a bit but for two States it was fine.

ipads do look nice but I wonder how rugged it would be in a dusty shaking truck, and also, you wouldn't want to be looking for an Apple store in the middle of nowhere if the battery dies on you.

Scott said:
it positions the iPad towards me and across the front of the stereo. I think in that position it's well protected from the suns glare, and the ultimate gps has no problem getting signal.
Thanks, that might explain it. You mentioned looking at pictures on the ipad at the end of your trip, how did you get them from the camera onto the ipad? I haven't risked plugging the end of the USB lead into a PC, last time I did that with an iDevice it installed iTunes and the machine never worked properly again.

Thre a small adapter you plug into the port on the iPad and you upload pics straight to it.

Thanks Adrian, ordered one of those, something else to keep Jess occupied :) although it did mean being exposed to more Apple weirdness :roll:

SimonD said:
ipads do look nice but I wonder how rugged it would be in a dusty shaking truck, and also, you wouldn't want to be looking for an Apple store in the middle of nowhere if the battery dies on you.
Otter Box Defender series for the iPad or the Griffin Survivor Military-Duty case or the Gumdrop Drop Tech Series :D

http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-Defender-S ... lt,pd.html

[youtube:11xiytmj]DV6cqQB66VE[/youtube:11xiytmj]

http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad ... vor-ipad-3

[youtube:11xiytmj]F0XJtbYaEbM[/youtube:11xiytmj]

http://www.gumdropcases.com/drop-series ... -case.html

[youtube:11xiytmj]J1o1S79nH5E[/youtube:11xiytmj]

Jon Wildsmith said:
Scott said:
it positions the iPad towards me and across the front of the stereo. I think in that position it's well protected from the suns glare, and the ultimate gps has no problem getting signal.
Thanks, that might explain it. You mentioned looking at pictures on the ipad at the end of your trip, how did you get them from the camera onto the ipad?
I used the apple USB adaptor that plugs straight into the iPad, just as Adrian has suggested. Hope Jess enjoys her new toy.

sae70 said:
.... When I'm using the iPad for navigation in the truck I have no Wifi connection & no 3G SIM fitted, so no Cellular mast information & no stand alone GPS receiver, it's just using its real/true intergrated GPS, as fitted in the iPhones to provide my location.
Not having WiFi or 3G obviously means the maps must be installed on the iPad. What maps are you using for this Steven?*

*Sorry if I have missed this somewhere

Bat21 said:
sae70 said:
.... When I'm using the iPad for navigation in the truck I have no Wifi connection & no 3G SIM fitted, so no Cellular mast information & no stand alone GPS receiver, it's just using its real/true intergrated GPS, as fitted in the iPhones to provide my location.
Not having WiFi or 3G obviously means the maps must be installed on the iPad. What maps are you using for this Steven?*

*Sorry if I have missed this somewhere
I'm running Memory Map with the iPone/iPad APP loaded onto the iPad :)

Memory Map was £99 for the full UK and the APP was £4.99 :)

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12339

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=14267&hilit=ipad+memory+map

P5150017.jpg

25042012002.jpg

sae70 said:

Thanks Steve, I see in the App store MM seems to be getting a few bad reports, is that simply user error?

So if I have this right, once the £99 Memory Map is loaded onto the iPad you basically have a digital OS Map of the UK in your hand? What scale are these down to?

Bat21 said:
sae70 said:

Thanks Steve, I see in the App store MM seems to be getting a few bad reports, is that simply user error?
I managed to get it all working absolutely fine and I'm a complete computer numpty :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I did struggle at first but got it in the end :| Can't remember what the problem was now :think: But it's been working fine since I finished getting it to load. When you buy MM it comes on a DVD that I loaded onto my Compaq PC, then you have to load it onto the iPad via iTunes and I have to put my hands up to there being some quirk, but once your over that it all works fine :) :) :)

Bat21 said:
So if I have this right, once the £99 Memory Map is loaded onto the iPad you basically have a digital OS Map of the UK in your hand? What scale are these down to?
Yes :) It's the complete set of Ordnance Surveys 1:50,000 scale LandRanger maps :)

Back