Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New ('ish) member - Falkirk, Central Scotland

kjm1311

Country Flag
scotland
Hi, my name is Ken and I've been a member since mid 2015 when I bought my Colorado but never posted.

I bought a 1998 SWB Colorado GX in standard condition in June 2015 and the plan is to develop it and take a couple of years to drive to Cape Town when we retire in a few years. My partner is from there and her kids and grandkids are there so we go back for 3 weeks every year and observing the 4x4 scene over there the overlanding off roading bug bit. She's done a bit over the years too so I have some backup.

The car has the 1KZ TE engine which seems fine for what we need, mileage is just over 150,000 miles.

So far we've fitted BFG AT K02's, Pedders springs (standard height) and suspension all round, sheared a few bolts, bust a few knuckles and replaced all the bushes. The rear diff actuator went so bit the bullet (££££) and bought a new one from RoughTrax and used the forums to figure out how to align it and works great now.

Other changes are removed the side steps, new exhaust, new battery and removed the rear seats and made a cargo barrier.

We intend to use a trailer and visited the Metalian factory in Cape Town last year and have all the specs and were planning to do a personal import but that may prove too expensive so keeping an open mind and exploring options. Reason for the trailer is we like the idea of unhitching and going for a game drive without the hassle of breaking camp.

Done a couple of SORC trials and a couple of green lanes to give me practice driving off road Been around Hexham are and holed fuel tank in Lake District in October so car is off the road while I wait for broken leg to mend and fit the new one.

Hope that is of interest.

Ken

IMG_3314.JPG Sect 8 - 1.jpg Sect 10 - 5.jpg IMG_3085.JPG

Hi Ken,

Good looking truck, and a great intro. All the best nursing that broken leg. I hear whisky helps speed things up.

And pictures on the first post too.... :dance:

Welcome to the forum Ken.

Yep, hope the leg heals ok :thumbup:

Welcome! Ahh, memories of Lil BLue.

Give Heinz my regards when you visit Metalian. I love my Midi. Stan has a couple for sale here in the UK of course. Depending on the spec, he may already have what you want. Or be able to get it for you. Having one built is nice but it's a long slow process.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome! Ahh, memories of Lil BLue.

Give Heinz my regards when you visit Metalian. I love my Midi. Stan has a couple for sale here in the UK of course. Depending on the spec, he may already have what you want. Or be able to get it for you. Having one built is nice but it's a long slow process.
Hi Chris, we were looking at a maxi for the extra space as it'll be home for a while but they are expensive. My partner is over in February and she'll be looking at other options now as well. Might also look at a bespoke build here in U.K. too - get a trailer company to make the shell and doors to our spec then fit out myself. We've already got half a garage worth of camping gear so we're well on the way.

Ken, did you put the BBS wheels on the Collie? I've a spare set if those and wondered what they would look like.
I'm missing a couple of the centre caps and wondered where to get them from.

Ken, did you put the BBS wheels on the Collie? I've a spare set if those and wondered what they would look like.
I'm missing a couple of the centre caps and wondered where to get them from.
Hi Andy, I can't help you I'm afraid, they were fitted when I bought it and there's only 4, spare is std Toyota steel. The caps are not great being plastic and held only with 1 (should be 2) screws. I think the plastic caps go brittle and a touch too much tightening and crack.

Not much in it worth reading i'm afraid Ken its an army trailer and an old trailer tent from the 1990's which after much thought and even more procrastination was eventually thrown together in about a fortnight .

Hi Andy, I can't help you I'm afraid, they were fitted when I bought it and there's only 4, spare is std Toyota steel. The caps are not great being plastic and held only with 1 (should be 2) screws. I think the plastic caps go brittle and a touch too much tightening and crack.

I think thats what has happened with mine, they're nice wheels but a couple of the centre caps have broken.
Still searching for where I can get a couple of caps from.
Thanks for that Ken

Back