Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member looking to buy an 80 TD

mathaus

Hi, ive been lurking on the forum for a few months trying to learn a bit about what to look for when buying an 80 series. Ive looked at a couple that were near the top of my price bracket at £5500 but both needed more spending on them so im thining of taking a look at one in Manchester which is listed at £2995 which would leave me with cash left over for any issues.

Its a 1993 with 173K and is currently on Auto trader with Reg number MIL 5379 . The guys says its got some service history and old mots and its only 45 mins from me so I figure its still worth a look even if it turns out to be a dog. It looks to have got some rust around the top tailgate and above the windscreen but I know someone who would be able to sort that out for not too much money so if its not too bad so that wouldnt put me off if the rest of it was ok.

Just wondered what your thoughts are and if anyone knows the truck as it seem to have been for sale for a while.

Thanks

Hi Mathaus, welcome to the forum :text-welcomewave:.

I wish you luck with the 80, for me they're the best offroad biased 4x4 going. I'm biased of course, being an owner for some 9 years now, but they are getting old and will always need some attention one way or another.

Unless you're unlucky, you shouldn't go too far wrong, as long as you're not expecting it to be in mint mechanical condition. Assuming it starts and runs well, the main expense at that age will likely be a front axle rebuild. They're reliable when they're right, but you may find that on a cheaper truck, it may need front CV joints and/or top and bottom swivels, and I'd recommend you having them checked out fairly early on.

Rust is always a UK nightmare, but you'll be having a poke around underneath I guess before you commit yourself.

Do you do your own maintenance? That will save you a shed load of money if you do, for spending on parts and goodies. What do you intend to do with it? Off-road, overland, or just have a big beautiful 8 seater truck?

theres loads of advice, assistance and oddball banter here, as you'll know by now, so sit back and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

Theres a PS, my advice would be to get the big end bearings done as soon as possible. There are loads of examples where there have been no symptoms, but when stripped down, the findings have been most alarming. It's not an expensive job, even if you have it done by others, but it's good peace of mind after having them done.

A BEB failure is almost certainly the end of the engine, kaput!

Last edited:
Welcome.
bebs need to be first on the list and very soon after yo buy it. IF you do!

uk spec trucks don't come with folding mirrors. Could be a mod someone has done.Just have a close look at the numbers against the v5. Chasie numbers are behind the front os wheel bulkhead side on the Chasie. Other I'd plate is NS on the bulkhead.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Electrically retracting mirrors are fitted to "Grey Import" 80's, very useful but never seen them on a UK spec. I presume they would not be impossible to retro fit if you got all the components off someone breaking an import.

I fitted the jap folding mirrors to mine. As far as I know, im the only person daft enough to bother....

I do think there great though and use them all the time.

Also cloth seats usually mean GX spec in the UK. Grey imports have cloth as VX spec.

Last edited:
The early uk spec have cloth as Vx ;)

you could be right Chas. they could mean electric operated mirrors. Not how it reads though I don't think.

Also cloth seats usually mean GX spec in the UK. Grey imports have cloth as VX spec.

95-96 GS = cloth seats
97-98 GX = cloth seats

Grey import 24V autos = suede type seats

Manual VX to 95 = cloth seats.

Auto VX 93 to 95 (12V) = leather trim.

All 24V VX 95 to 98 = leather trim.

All 12V to 93 = Cloth seats.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks for the replies guys.

The truck will be used as our 2nd car for family camping trips, taking the dogs out etc and we live out in the sticks so a 4x4 always come in handy in the winter.

I do plan to do my own maintenance & which ever one I eventually buy, BEBs will be no1 job. I need to read a little more into the possibility of rebuilding the front axle and the costs involved but again it will be something that I will look to do myself.

With regards to the possibility that it may be a grey import. Is that an issue? and would it put you off.

Thanks for the clarification Andy, I still have a lot to learn. :). I had a feeling when writing it was not so straight forward.

Though, mine is an auto 12v 1994 grey import 81, VX which has cloth seats. No wonder I'm confused :)

It doesn't look like a grey import to me and no it wouldn't put me off as I've been driving one for the past 11 years. They are different, mainly in the axles as diff locks were an option on non UK trucks. Mine was like it had just left the factory when it was imported but had no service history. Bits are easy to get. Look at Amayama website for parts for your front axle rebuild, far cheaper than UK dealer bought parts. Depending on what needs replacing you are looking at £250 - £300 per side from Amayama with a 3 week wait or about £1200 a side from UK dealers for genuine Toyota parts.

Yes i had a grey import for ten years & never had any problems with getting parts which i always used genuine yota, if they didn't have the part in stock providing i ordered before 4pm it was there next morning, Insurance was never a problem either.

Well guys I went to have a look at it today It wasn't the one for me. The underneath is really rusty especially the back end. The offside rear arch has been welded at some point and the actual edge of the arch was crumbling away. The top edge of the roof had rusted the full length of the windscreen and both boot lids are worse than I thought. I didn't get as far as looking under the bonnet or checking anything else.

The hunt goes on

So it wasnt a "lovely example" nor in "excellent condition inside and out"?..

To be fair the interior was in good condition but that was the only bit that was. I don't understand some people, he advertises it as excellent inside and out when it clearly isn't but then says it only has a little history with a few mot's but no service book or original folder. I look in the glovebox and the folder is there with the service booked stamped up to 80k at Toyota in 2002, quite a few receipts and most mots from then on. It was kept inside a large warehouse but looked like it hadn't been washed or polished for years.

I'm in no rush and I'm sure the right one will come up at some point.

Some people talk that much bs, eventually they start believing there own bs.
hope you didnt have to waste too much of your time.

Ask Chris about his epic search a while ago !! I've seen a few sheds over the years too, with experience you know where to look straight away. Dont be put off by an early one if its in really good condition, I think Mark Langley's 80 is a 91 I think and underneath and on top it's exceptionable, better than nearly all the rest I've seen.

Back