Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Owner with a few questions.....

will2715

Country Flag
england
Hello all,

I have recently bought a 80 series having wanted one for years but never being able to justify buying one due to the running costs, insurance etc etc however a few weeks ago I spotted one lurking in a hedge on a farm I was working at. Two days later I towed it away after handing over the relatively measly sum of £500 to the farmer! As you can imagine its not In the best condition, with a fair few cosmetic issues! But overall it doesn't seem too bad.

Its a 1995 4.2 24v manual with 150k on the clock

when I bought it I was told that it would need a fair bit of work to pass an mot, so I decided to chuck it in for a cheap mot to get a comprehensive list of what would need doing and to decide weather it was worth keeping. To my surprise it failed on a numberplate light and a loose battery! Andno advisories

so far I have replaced the alternator and belts as it wasn't charging, given it a full service and done a uj on the front prop, however there are a few issues that I'm having trouble finding awnsers to.

1) there is a fair amount of 'slop' in the front diff? ( when you get underneath and twist the front prop by hand it probably does at least a quarter if not half a turn before it engages drive as such) is there some adjustment that can be made within the front diff or transfer box?

2) the engine seems to cut out momentarily under heavy acceleration, this seemed to improve after I serviced it which leads me to believe its probably a fuel problem, is there a filter on the pickup pipe or one of those small inline ones somewhere? It does also feel quite sluggish generally, not as pokey as I would expect for a turbocharged engine of that size, is that normal or could also be down to fuelling?

3) are sticking windows a common problem and is there an easy fix? One doesn't work at all, the rest are very slow indeed, the rear wiper motor is also jammed solid

Those are the main problems so far, I haven't taxed it or got insurance on it yet as the last thing I want to do is spend loads of cash on it just to end up with a heap of scrap!

Also does anyone know weather it's possible to fit 15" steel rims on the axles without hitting the brake callipers? There seems to be a better tyre selection in 15"

Many Thanks

Will

Firstly if it's a 95 it should have 16" wheels, if you tip the rear seats forward & lift the carpet you will see a removable panel in the floor, this is to access the fuel tank sender unit & more importantly a pickup filter, check this is not clogged up, there's a pump mod you can do,if you do a search on here there's info on the procedure ,windows are a common fault, a temporary fix is clean all the contacts in the switches on the control panel on the door, clean the rubber channels that the glass slides in and spray silicone down them, new rubbers are a sure fix but not cheap ( £60 - £70 ) whip the door cards off & lubricate everything that moves, check the nylon wheels in the bottom channel are not seized.

Regards joinerman

Last edited:
Well welcome to the club. I'll have a crack at this first. Thanks JM - that'll be second then

Slop in the diff. There is quite a bit and remember you are moving the small bit by wiggling the prop, but it does sound like quite a lot. Adjusting that isn't a 5 min job no. Jack up a wheel and see how much play there is at the drive en. About 5 mins on a clock face is about right.
There can be fuelling issues on the engine yes, but having sat in hedge for ages, it could be all sorts. Breathers, filter and the like. We'd need to go through the whole system really. Even old fuel and water.
Windows sticking? That's standard. They can be eased but replacing the rubbers is the cure. Very very expensive.

Fit 15" Wheels? Better selection? Look harder my friend. They came with 15" wheels originally and in around 92-93 went to 16" So I think with the bigger brakes you'll struggle to get the smaller wheels on. Can't recall anyone who's gone backwards.

These go forever even though they might look like scrap. There's lots of home mechanicing that you can do and it sounds like you know a spanner from a pork pie so you should be fine. Loads on here covering every aspect. Look at the stickies in the header of the 80 section to start with.

Good luck and welcome to the brotherhood

Last edited:
Thus spoke the High Wizard himself.
Welcome to the forum Will, don't be afraid to ask on here, mostly you will get an avalanche of good advice,handy tips ans a wealth of experience.

Andy

Dunno what happened there chris, one moment your post was above mine then poof

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dont go round saying "I bought a 24V 80 for £500" you won't be popular:lol:, most people hate you already. I got a "farmyard find" took me ages to part the vehicle from farmer and it cost me £2K and it took me 9 months to get back on the road but it came good in the end.Keep at it, and you could have a good truck on the road for maybe under£3k.

Andy

A 4.2 24v 80 series for £500.......wow, well done! :clap:

Add - should add that even a non-runner for £500 is cheap IMHO.

Last edited:
:text-welcomewave:

Welcome to the forum Will, and welcome to 80 wonderland! I hate the word but they're awesome!

Thrash it, fix it and feed it. You'll love it! You'll never be rich anyway, so why not treat yourself by spending on one of, if not the best, 4x4s ever!

Lots of good info available here, with a bit of crap thrown in. You'll get to know the difference soon enough. A friendlier forum you won't find!

Welcome.
Sounds like a bargain find! Need pics. Not blue is it? :whistle:

I'm running 15 inch rims for the 35's, do have a big offset rim and spacers fitted, not much space to the brakes though!
I had the wheels before the 80 as they were planned for another motor but the 'one' turned up and plans changed.

I offered 15" rims to my front and estimated less than 1mm clearance to the caliper. Too close for comfort for me.

Whereabouts are you? You can fill in the location on your profile to let folks know :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Hi Will

Welcome. Super bargin find I must say. I'd be happy if I could fine a few at that money.

Some people drop on there feet. Nice one,

Everything sounds covered with your questions.

Karl

Thanks for all the helpful replies,

I couldn't quite believe it when the farmer said he was after £750 for it, and even more surprised when he accepted my offer of £500!! It's the second time I've been lucky with a Toyota, a couple of years ago I managed to buy a mk3 double cab hilux from another farmer for £700 that didn't need a lot of work, unfortunately I ran out of money and had to sell it but I'm determined not to sell this one whatever!

I can't quite work out how to quote people's posts but Gary it is blue and I will make sure I get a couple of pics uploaded tomorrow!

Earlier on I pulled the rear seats out and unscrewed the sender unit in the tank, the filter was literally blocked solid' so much so that I could fill it up with diesel and none would come through the filter! I soaked it in white spirit and blew it out with an airline, that has definitely cured the engine cutting out under load which is one job off the list with a simple fix! However the engine still 'hunts' abit if I reverse and break suddenly or if going up a sharp inclines, not quite sure what the problem is but I'm happy with it for now.

Tomorrow I'm gonna have a crack at the windows and check all the fluids in the axles, gearbox and transfer box etc, I couldn't get the rear difflock to work earlier so I'm assuming that's the actuator? Ill investigate further tomorrow anyway.

I'm looking at getting a suspension lift before I replace the wheels and tyres for bigger ones, I rung west coast 4x4 and they suggested a 2" ironman kit at about £405, is the ironman kit any good or is there better out there for the money?

I'm also in desperate need for a replacement steering wheel as mine is very worn and horrible, I'm struggling to find one anywhere for a landcruiser my age, anyone got any ideas?

Regards,

Will

Try Karl Webster from the forum, there is a firm that does a very good new cover, I saw one at Karl's last time he was there so you can ask him about it. the problem is by the time they get to the breakers the steering wheels are like yours.

This was my " farmyard find" on the was out of the farm.
e5ed02fc-5cfb-4522-abe5-a8faf07b3998_zps59badd6c.jpg

The finished article
DSCF0360_zps85be36f3.jpg

It took me 9 months to do and cost less than £1k to turn it round to a minter.
Take inspiration!!

Andy

Back