Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the Hobby

Rschiller3

Hi,
I'm new to this sight, but a long time 4x4 guy, having owned a multitude of Jeeps (oldest being a 1944 Willys), trucks and Toyotas.
im driving a '15 TRD Pro 4Runner now, but have dreams of owning an FJ40.
My dad was driving a 1970 FJ40 he bought new when I came along in 1971. Apparently he'd kept the tools from it all these years, which he gave to me when I visited my folks recently. Except for a few grease spots on the cover, they look brand new!
Anyway, there are a multitude of published information sources out there for Jeeps, especially for the WWII era. You know, with information on production, accessories, etc.
IS THERE SUCH A "BIBLE" FOR THE FJ40, or Land Cruiser in general? I want to have my research done before I start looking. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! Nice intro and honorable intentions :thumbup:

Cant help you on 40s, but someone intelligent will be along I'm sure.:lol:

Hi and welcome,
Maybe a good starting point is www.cruiserfaq.com which contains everything from production numbers per year through to colour codes. it will give you a good 'feel' for 40 series trucks. Also worth looking at www.sor.com aside from being an original and aftermarket seller their diagrams in original sections are taken from the factory fiches and they also have a history section.
There are plenty of other good info sites but I don't have that information with me and I am away from home for a few weeks. When I do return I will add other sites to this post.
Am I jealous of your original factory tool kit? Perhaps a little... possibly quite a lot... a glance in the mirror shows me that I've turned a green colour!!!! Good on you that's a great start!
Hope those two sites give you a reasonable insight and I look forward to following your progress with interest (and hardly a twinge of envy re the tool kit!!). (Not really!)

Regards,

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegSo thinking that the folks here would be the experts, and that a picture is worth 1000 words, here are some pics of the items dad gave me during my last visit...
Can anyone tell me if these look correct for a 1970 FJ40?

Back