Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Top Gear

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Same show different faces, Ginger Overkill & US "Monotone" - I'll give it another week but can't see me staying the distance. I want a Nomad though.

Matt was good on his pieces to camera, showing his acting background. The ginger one was crap, looked nervous, and showed his lack of experience in motoring journalism and lack of knowledge about cars and driving (it's called oversteer Chris).

Liked the new star in a reasonably priced car style

They need to seriously sort out the studio sound quality as well.

Well they made the worst mistake they could make, trying to copy old TG with different hosts :(

Do want a Nomad though :)

2 out of 10 for me. I think I am in Chas's age bracket and am closest to his comments.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
agree with Mark, they should have gone their own way, trying to copy the old format was a big mistake

The only good thing was the nomad. I was expecting a totally different format.

I thought that Tg had ran it's course and the new version would be a great very disappointed that all they did was add new presenters.

Will watch next week and see how it goes.

The Beeb now own the rights to the TG format as we all know it, signature tune, The Stig, Star in a RP car etc, which they probably paid a lot of money for so it's understandable that they'd be reluctant to change it. I expect the antics will be much the same, just with different presenters. The challenge IMO is for the new team to build a similar chemistry with each other to that which the old trio had. It's a big ask but maybe they'll gel better after a few episodes.

First picture of Clarkson, Hammond and May after the first episode of the new Top Gear.

top gear.jpg

Agree. It's like a left over script or maybe the original three all ate a dodgy curry and they needed stand-ins. I think the audience were bought too. You WILL look like it's the first time you've seen it and you're amazed.

They needed to keep the feel, but not try to replicate the format. They may well own it, but no one watching gives a toss. If this was on at the very same time as the new Clarkson offering - and we haven't even seen that yet, I know which I'd be watching. But it's not. And there *** all else on so I'll watch this

One thing worth remembering is that the original new top gear took a while to settle in. James May only joined in the second series, and he was very wooden for a while, and the studio stuff took a while to get up to standard, but the advantage they had, was there was no precedent, no expectation, wheras these guys really have to hit the ground running

I've just finished watching it on catch-up.

They could have got a new editing team. The camera work looks exactly like the old. It really does look like the old format with new people. I think Matt was ok, Chris was a bit "nervous" but maybe that's his style - I've never heard of him before :lol:

TG will live on and live on well. After this series is over no one will remember the previous three.

Watched it on catch-up this evening too - was OK, then again I wasn't expecting much. The production, editing and camera work etc. were identical so in that sense, it was only really a changing of the guard and nothing much else. The whole studio audience thing is getting a bit stale now and even the SIRPC set-piece was dull.

Chris Evans needs to take a chill-pill - always seems like he is trying too hard, whilst Le Blanc was better but not much (I wonder how much Belstaff are paying him?).

The ginger one was crap, looked nervous, and showed his lack of experience in motoring journalism and lack of knowledge about cars and driving (it's called oversteer Chris).

Not sure whether you were making a serious comment - but Chris Evans certainly knows his cars, there's no doubt about that. He's a huge petrol head and has a large collection of exotics which he's not afraid to use. In an episode of the original TG, May borrows a Ferrari 250 California from Evans' collection as his "dream car"

Ferrari 250 California

I used to watch the original almost religiously, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was just naturally good chemistry with those three. When it all fell apart I really lost interest as I don't think that is something that can be manufactured with new cast. It's like comparing the Rolling Stones to One Direction.

but Chris Evans certainly knows his cars, there's no doubt about that. He's a huge petrol head and has a large collection of exotics which he's not afraid to use.

Ferrari 250 California
Having the money to own a fleet of great cars doesn't automatically make you an expert, never heard the expression 'All the gear and no idea' I'm not saying he has no idea just he's got a load of dosh.
I actually like the chap but unfortunately he didn't shine on TG the other night.

It was good to see some footage in Dades Gorge in Morocco, and 4x4 action with the landy and jeep,
but didn't seem right having old format with different people
not as bad as I thought it was going to be though

Back