Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New user looking for some info on LJ78

malteser

Country Flag
malta
Hello there,

My name is David, and I'm from sunny Malta :icon-cool: I'm new to this forum, and also new to Land Cruisers.

I've been wanting a LC for a long time now, but since they're quite rare here in Malta I haven't managed to buy one yet.

Most models we have here are the 70 & 90 series, and a couple of 80's whose owners won't part from.

Now I have the chance to buy an LJ78, which is in VERY good condition (only 38k miles on the clock!)... but the asking price is quite steep :| actually I think you'll think its ridiculous... but unfortunately here in Malta a car like this doesn't go any cheap. He's asking £6700.

It has the factory 2.8ltr (3L) engine (don't know if these were sold like this in the UK)... fitted with a turbo kit similar to the 2.4ltr engine. Apart from that, the car is completely standard.

What do you guys think on the LJ78 ?

I also wanted to ask a question about it's 4wd system... I tried to look for the 'diff lock' switch but did not manage to find one. Does that mean it doesn't have a central diff lock ? (front hubs are manual, not electric.. if that matters)

Thank you in advance for your help :icon-biggrin:

Welcome malteser, like the name and Malta, spent several holidays there over the last 25 years, love the place.

I'm not clued on the 70 series, but there's plenty of advice here from those who are.

Pictures we need, lots of photos, they're mandatory! :lol:

The 2.8 when turboed is a nice powerful engine, the lj78 has no centre diff so 4wd is only used off road, rear wheel drive for road, they are comfortable trucks in lwb, and in my opinion I prefer the 70 series over the 80 for body shape

I liked mine, solid chassis, nice square body and coils all round.

The downside was the 2.4 lte engine, even with a turbo it was asthmatic and had the reputation for cracking heads, so if you have the 3L (2800cc) engine as standard then I think it could be a good truck.

Prices on malta are known to be higher, so hard for us to comment on price, but there was a lad on here last year selling the most immaculate 80 series and it was a toe-curling price to UK owners.

Photos when you have them.....

Pete

The guy selling the vehicle just texted me saying he's changed his mind and doesn't want to sell anymore. What a bugger :icon-cry:

So now I'm on the look out again for another Cruiser... will keep you updated if I find/buy something else

Hi David

Mine is a KZJ78 3.0 Turbo Diesel and what a great ride!:text-bravo:Very very happy with the 70 series!
Sorry to hear you missed out on the buy and hope one pops up for you soon!:twocents-mytwocent:

Crazy Dutchman

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back