Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New v Old

Lewis07

I may have posted something similar in the past but once again tempted by a new shape LC despite the best endeavours of my local dealership who seem to think they start at £80k! I know there is a new shape coming in 2014 but is an upgrade worth the price? I probably know the answer but thought I'd throw it out there anyway,

Is this what you're after?

Sorry Lewis, couldn't get the link to work...:icon-rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Not sure if the new one would start at 80K. They mixing up the 200 series?

It's a year now that I have been with the 150 and it's a bit love/hate with it really. If you have a perfectly good 120, there is not much upgrade in it.

Good points: (not necessarily better than the 120 though)
  • Very comfortable ride - 21.5 hours pretty much non-stop (fuel breaks and an hour breakfast) to Italy with 6 people in and it was very good. Fully loaded the suspension felt lovely.
  • More "toys" than the 120 but on a par with a 9 year old audi.
  • Brilliant radio / audio system
Urm, honestly, that is all I can think of. :? (the 2nd two items are just there as fillers)

Bad parts:
  • Drinks fuel. Less fuel would fall through a 9mm hole in the tank than the engine manages to drink. Current town average - 22-23mpg.
  • A drive-chain that is made up of those red rubber bands the posties drop.
  • A engine which is wanting for power (open to debate though)

4x4 capability is on a par with the 120. I peddled mine 150 around Lincomb and it managed everything the 120 did but on stock road tyres. Took it off road in Italy and it did a fine job there too.

On the gearbox side of things - it is lovely on the highway. Get it to 60, 5th gear (auto) and it locks up. From there it just trundles along. Other than that, it never locks or is super quick to unlock. Traffic driving, even rolling around 20-30 has my rev counter wobbling all over the place as it tries to decide what to do. TC stall also seems high and by the time it gets you going (in traffic driving) it almost lunges forward where you then have to dab the brakes or you'll run into the car in front of you.

A tank of fuel, 87L, gets me 400miles if I am very lucky and doing slow (<70) hiway) or 350 miles town driving.

It's a comfy vehicle to drive but I don't think I'll be holding on to it much longer. :|

If you're unhappy with your 90 and fancy an upgrade, sure. If you're unhappy with your 120 and fancy an upgrade - I don't think it is worth it. There are better, cheaper options than a 150. Maybe wait until the next one.

CP

what are you thinking of getting instead Crispin?

dunno - for the short term, a "normal" car (get my iQ back). I do 60-70 miles a day of pure stop-start driving so the 150 is pissing money out for no real point.

Currently commuting on a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Beats the bus, and can do Morocco or Salisbury Plain happily. Running at 65mpg currently :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Currently commuting on a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Beats the bus, and can do Morocco or Salisbury Plain happily. Running at 65mpg currently :)

what is it like in heavy scottish snow or sleet though ?

dunno - for the short term, a "normal" car (get my iQ back). I do 60-70 miles a day of pure stop-start driving so the 150 is pissing money out for no real point.

thats why I got a D-4D Yaris - that takes care of commuting duties,
but if my wife is driving further, and there is no snow,she takes the Yaris and i drive her subaru forester turbo (as thats more econmical than the LC)

Fortunately we don't get your Aberdeen weather here Andy - but for those few truly rubbish days it'll be work from home :)

what are you thinking of getting instead Crispin?

LOL, you are worse than a woman and shoes.... Cars are such a passing thing for you... :laughing-rolling:

Thats a really sad state of affairs Crispin maybe you should get yourself an old pajero or something for 500 quid drive it for a couple of months and perhaps you will find the LC's appeal again .

Thats a really sad state of affairs Crispin maybe you should get yourself an old pajero or something for 500 quid drive it for a couple of months and perhaps you will find the LC's appeal again .

I'm not saying it is not a great vehicle to drive. I had a lone Korean 4x4 for a few weeks while mine was being fixed. It was nice. When I got back into the LC I had a new appreciation for it. It certainly is a great vehicle - it's just not right for me now which is why I am considering moving on.

My point is that the difference between a 120 and 150 is not, in my opinion, worth the move - they're both great vehicles to drive.

Back