Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie advise please

Trevor Money

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys ,
I've only just today registered on this owners and feel a bit of a cheat really as I don't own a Land Cruiser! ( yet).:icon-biggrin:
I've come on to ask advise as I've seen one I like and would like to know what to look out for .

It's a 1995 SWB 3.0 diesel manual in what looks like quite good condition . They want (dealer) £5,700 for it. 4 previous owners 169000 miles with service history. Looks like its lifted a bit .
any advise appreciated .

thanks
Trevor

Too expensive for the miles . Don't get me wrong its probably good for another 100k but while approaching 200k already i'd want it for under 4 grand .

I can imagine you thinking "but this truck is a really clean example" . The reason for this is build quality , take a similar truck that's spent 15 years on a farm and it will scrub up to look just the same as yours . It beggars believe i know but its true . If your determined to get it your only bargaining chips are that it will almost definitely have seatbelts that wont retract or are very slow to do so because thats so common in these trucks its considered normal and erm .... thats about it i think ?

Sorry just realized this is in 70 series . I was talking about the 90 series :doh:

The description makes it a KZJ 70.

Rare as hens teeth.

About 350 imported into the country by Toyota GB.

It was specific to the UK.

For £5,700 it would need to be absolutely solid. My MoT inspector has being trying for years to buy, steal, borrow or in some other way get his hands on mine. He reckons it worth £8,000 but I think he has stars in his eyes.

So, questions.

By dealer, do you mean a Toyota dealer? Normally a Toyota dealer would not see or be interested in a car that's 18 years old, unless it was serviced by them. Was it?

Will it come with a decent warranty?

If you are interested---and you must be or you wouldn't be asking the question---then you need a good 2 hour test drive and then, if it's still looks a good buy, knock £1,500 of the price and see what happens. I doubt if they paid more than £2,000 for it so haggle hard and still get a warranty.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's not a Toyota dealer
You can see the car on Autotrader under Toyota section between £5000/£6000

I don't think, unless it's mint in all respects and I mean all its worth£5.7K, 4 owners and 169K miles do not a mint car make. Where are you? maybe a nearby forum member could view it with you.
BTW i could fix you up with a very tidy 80 series 24V manual for a lot less than that.
Good luck

Andy

Just looked at it, Yes it's very presentable but unless rot free very expensive. Plenty of London forum members around to help. Pity its not up North.

Andy

Thanks guys
I'm in Epsom , Surrey
I take on board what you say. My main worry is wax oil cover a lot of problems and it looks like its just been done!
Not a spot of dirt underneath . I've not spoken to the dealer and looked at it when there was no one there.

Hi Trevor,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks nice in the pictures, non standard alloys and tyres, and what looks to me like Ironman suspension poking out of the O/S/F wheel arch, so its more than likely lifted (not a bad thing, depending on what your after). The main thing with 70's in the UK is rust, so you really want to give the body a good prod, the wheel arch trims tend to hold dirt and moisture against the body and promotes rust. To me with that alloy wheel, tyre and suspension combination I wouldn't be surprised if the truck has had some work done at West Coast 4x4 at some point, is there anything in the history to that effect? If so, it might be worth giving them a bell to see if they did the wax oiling, they might be able to give you an idea of its condition pre rustproofing.

As Roger has said, they are rare with the 3.0 in the UK, and certainly the ones to have, but it is pricey. I would give it a really thorough inspection and test drive, check that all the 4WD system works including the free wheeling hubs. If you still want it then haggle hard.

One possible haggling point is that Ironman suspension tends to lose its paint finish and go rusty quite quickly, going by others experience on here.

If you go to the classified section here, stumog is selling his 3.0 95 Series Prado, I recall its less than £4k, has 74k on the clock, a much better buy than a 3.0 70 at £5,700k imo.

Of course, a lwb Prado is a different beast to a swb 70 series, so your reasons for buying need careful consideration.

Pete

I possibly could be parted with my KZJ70 for somewhere close to that price and I think you would struggle to find a KZJ70 in as good mechanical condition as mine (apart from maybe Rogers which is mint!). Im sure a few forum members who have seen it in action at Lincomb would agree?

PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
It certainly is a tidy truck Dave and I seem to remember it has a diff lock too?

Thanks Trev

It has quite a long list of mods and upgrades. Off the top of my head:

Full 2.5" stainless high flow exhaust system
Custom raised air intake/snorkel
+2" Ironman springs
Ranch adjustable shocks
Truetrack rear limited slip helical gear differential
285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tyres on 16" Steel modular wheels
Custom Steering guard
Uprated alternator
Electric radiator fan
13 pin euro trailer socket
and as of this week the whole front axle has been rebuilt including refinishing the swivels, new seals and bearings and the Trail Gear Trunion Bearing Eliminator kit fitted.

Im pretty sure there is more but its late and I cant remember it all.

If I were looking for another 70 I guess I would be asking what am I going to use the truck for. If it's a stock vehicle that's in good condition for everyday driving on tarmac and the few weeks of winter we get then that's one thing, if it's for pure offroading then a tidy truck is the last thing I would want (I would cry at every ding....it will happen).

If I wanted a tidy truck that really performs on and offroad then you need to look at the cost of the initial purchase plus what it would cost to sympathetically modify. I've not only seen Dave's truck but I've seen it in action at Lincomb a few times and it impresses at all levels.

I also know that Dave is, well, fastidious. It's all about the attention to detail. That is a lot of truck for the money and certainly worthy of consideration. I would go and see both and compare the two, I know which one I would be swayed by but it's all about personal choice and the truck fitting your needs.

I haven't been a Landcruiser owner or a member of this forum for very long at all but i can tell you there are some very experienced and knowledgeable members on here , the mention of "fastidious" above is an accolade not lightly given .

With my lack of knowledge i would be inclined to put my trust in a truck known by such people over a truck with an unknown history .

Back