Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie colorado questions

Michael Crabtree

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi everyone, had my collie a couple of weeks now and just trying to figure some bits out, any help would be greatly appreciated.
First my central locking..... I do not have any fobs, but the motor came with three keys, opening any of the door locks opens just that lock not all the central locking, but when I press the central locking button on The drivers arm rest it works all of the locks, is there a fault or would I be able to get a fob and programme it?
Secondly the drivers side rear window does not work, it doesn't function from either switch, is the motor a common fault?
Apart from these couple of bits I cant really find fault, both diff locks work , air con still works and im just enjoying driving it, work from it too and the load space is spot on, just want to fix these couple of bits and then add some personal touches, again I would appreciate any help and you seem like a helpful bunch, cheers Mike

Welcome to the forum.

The door lock operation with the key sounds normal, only one door opens. Early models (pre about 1999 I think) have a single button fob for the alarm (if fitted) and later models a two button fob. Spare fobs are available from time to time on eBay and there are threads on how to program them to the vehicle on here.

I wouldn't say the window motors are weak on these, most trouble comes from broken wires in the loom between the doors and body, especially the driver's door as it gets the most use. If you take the door trim off and unplug the window motor you can apply 12 volts in both directions tovtest the motor. I did this on my n/s rear window that isn't working; the motor is fine but I have a broken master switch unit and possibly a wire break somewhere so I've just left it for now.

hmm, I have a 97 model and if I open the drivers door with the key all doors will open.

does your truck have any alarm system in place?

Mine is a 1997 VX petrol model with standard alarm. There's never been any interconnection between the doors on the central locking using the key in the four years I've owned it. It could well have been broken from the outset, I did have to reconnect a couple of wires in the driver's door loom early on but never found out what that fixed.

The fob, when it worked, did open all of the doors so it makes sense that the key should I guess. I only use the key now as the fob became temperamental and I often had to drive with the alarm sounding.

Michael - some models came without remote central locking (like my GS model). In my case a previous owner fitted an aftermarket remote central locking and alarm kit but my central locking also operates from the key in the drivers door. It is therefore possible that you have a base model that never had RCL, but your CL should work on the key if so.

If you need second-hand electric window switches, it might be useful to check whether those from a Toyota Yaris will fit as they are likely a lot cheaper. That worked for my faulty driver side 3-door master switch. I had to swap the top trim over but I saved £40 or so!

Brilliant info thank you, well mine is a 97 gx model, now im not sure about an alarm but there is a light that flashes, like an alarm light below the steering wheel, it looks factory fit?? The yaris switch tip sounds good, is there any cross over on the key fob? Any other models that possibly use the same fob? Or anyone have any idea what toyota would charge? Cheers for the replies

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thats an alarm. I have a GX as well and came with two fobs alongside two keys. If you get hold of a ebay toyota fob you can re-program the fob and use the alarm system in place. However, your doors should still be opening all at once upon opening the drivers side door so something is up there.

CA6B7981-9E4A-4740-B5E6-309B37E2D2EE.jpeg
I'll start by apologising for the duff information I've suppled so far. I blame it on having a man-cold all week.

I dug out the key fob that I've not used for 4 years and it has TWO buttons!

The fact that mine doesn't centrally unlock on the key must be a fault (most probably a broken unlock signal wire in the door to body loom. Mine does centrally lock so I've not found it too inconvenient as it is.

My jobs for when the warmer weather returns will be to fix the locking, get a replacement window master switch from a Yaris (there are Chinese copy units on eBay for £20 though) and maybe recommission the fob. It will make a change from having three welding jobs to do on it, although they may be necessary too when the Winter salt has done it's work.

Thats brilliant pal thank you, theres some two button ones around for sensible money so ill get one ordered I think, watch out for the man flu it can be near fatal . as for the welding jobs, I hope all goes well, ive just ordered a can of the krown t40 to hopefully hold off the winter salt! I think ill leave the window switch til I have more time but hopefully ill be able to sort the central locking. Cheers for the replies!

Ha, I jiggled the wires between the driver's door and the body today. I now have central lock and unlock from the key; fixed! Well, sort of. Will do some dismantling and soldering later.

The fact that mine doesn't centrally unlock on the key must be a fault (most probably a broken unlock signal wire in the door to body loom.

Mine doesn't when i have the battery out and lock with key , i bet your fob will still work if you put a new battery in it and hold both buttons down for 30 seconds while stood next to the car .

Nice, well ill check my wiring when I get a minute! Might have to be one of the jobs on the to do list for over Christmas when I need to escape from mindless tv.

My mate who has a 95 has just had a key issue with his. Fob used to work then would only do one door, after digging on the internet he found an odd fix.

He removed the battery and pressed both keys to effectively “discharge” the fob. Put the battery back in and now everything works like it did before.

That sounds good , mine didnt come with any fobs, but ive just picked one up on ebay, so ill have to dismantle the dash and recode it......another on the list ha

I have a late 1999 FX (no flared arches) and the central locking works from buttons on the keys (no separate fob) and the car will also lock centrally by using a key in the driver's door lock. However, if you lock it using the button on the key then try and unlock using the key in the door lock the alarm goes off.

I have a late 1999 FX (no flared arches) and the central locking works from buttons on the keys (no separate fob) and the car will also lock centrally by using a key in the driver's door lock. However, if you lock it using the button on the key then try and unlock using the key in the door lock the alarm goes off.

That was the problem I was having with my unreliable fob a few years ago, had to drive home with the alarm going a couple of times. The good news is I took the fob to bits last night and noticed that the "open" switch was all gunged up and wouldn't move easily. I cleaned it up with IPA and it now works. If it sticks again it doesn't look difficult to solder on a new tactile switch as they are surface mounted on the PCB. CPC-Farnell sell them for pence. They are 5mm square.

20171204_185313000_iOS.jpg

I just bought some spares but while i was waiting it occurred to me to dismantle the fobs again and soak the rubber in Ballistol which got happy results .

I already have used one of those file paper punches to cut a thin circle of stiff plastic which is the ideal size for inside the rubber button and glued it inside .

I have a print out of Toyota new fob program instructions which i will post up later though they are TVSS rather than vehicle specific .

That was the problem I was having with my unreliable fob a few years ago, had to drive home with the alarm going a couple of times. The good news is I took the fob to bits last night and noticed that the "open" switch was all gunged up and wouldn't move easily. I cleaned it up with IPA and it now works. If it sticks again it doesn't look difficult to solder on a new tactile switch as they are surface mounted on the PCB. CPC-Farnell sell them for pence. They are 5mm square.

View attachment 137586
I've never seen it as a problem, I assumed it was an anti theft thing to stop people forcing the locks

Back