Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie joins the Ranks

Welcome, this is the best site for advice etc mate.

I Currently have an 80 series, 100 series and 2 new Hilux' and I still dont have the guts to sell the 80 series.

Its simply the Grand Daddy of 4x4's, each time I drive it, I fall in love with it again. My family think I am crazy about the 4x4's and I am beginning to believe them, but I dont care, these cars are worth it.

Like said earlier, do try to get the later models, very nice and many comforts.

Best of luck in your search, hope you find one soon.

Kamal

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

Another thing to consider, and I stand to be corrected on the year, I think in 96 the engine went from 12 valve to 24 valve.
The earlier 12v motors have known to suffer from BEB failure but so have a very few 24v.

I have the 96 24v and the missus has a 97 petrol (due to be LPG converted). Hers is UK spec with lockers all round and mine is Jap with centre lock and a still working LSD on the rear.

I used to say I wouldn't go petrol for off road but now I have seen how well Toyota have waterproofed her engine I am changing my mind.

There are loads of us down south so if you spot any down here I am sure someone can assist with a viewing for you.

Thanks again for the info.

It seems I'm too slow and the LC's I like are sold just before I pick up the phone. :p

I have been onto a chap at Trafalgar Motor Company in Halifx and he has 2 for sale. The first is an 'M' reg VX auto with leather and all the bells. Its got 173K miles on it and he is looking for £3800.

The other is a 'P' reg 24 valve VX manual with 150K miles on the clock, It is cloth interior and although he has all the bits the AC has been removed. He is wanting £5250 for that one so top end of my budget.

I have a mate from Rochdale going round there tomorrow to have a look at them for me. I should be more in the know by then.

Karl has aircon bits - pumps, hoses etc. So would Steff, I'd imagine. I just got my AC reinstated thanks to Karl. Worth knocking them down for that.

Chris

Quick update on the 80s at Trafalgar motor company.

The green M reg auto with leather has had a hard life so probably worth steering clear of. It has been well used as a farm vehicle and the leather in the seats is all cracked. The arches are a different colour to the rest of the body and the engine smokes quite a bit and the smoke reeks of oil.

The later manual is a 24V model in blue and looks a lot nicer. It has a leak from the rocker cover and a leak from the gearbox (looks to be coming from bell housing area). If these had been fitted with ABS as standard then it has been removed from this truck but it has been done very neatly. The carpets could do with a good clean and it has done 10K more than I was originally told so its 160K. Engine runs sweet

Another update....

I have now got a 1993, 80 series, 4.2TD Auto. It has 137K on the clock and is in good condition with no rot. I bought it off another member on here after it was listed on ebay. I did a bit of research and checked out some of his old posts to see what had been done to it. There are a few little things to sort out but nothing to cry about. The biggest job is rear diff lock mechanism needs replacing and a full set of disks and pads. Julian of Overland Cruisers knows this truck and I had a chat with him before I parted with my hard earned cash. He never said anything to scare me off so I decided to jump in with both feet. It has had ACL big end bearings fitted, ironman 2" lift kit (you were right about the ride Julian ;) ), uprated transmission oil cooler, new alternator, Kenlow hotstart (for those cold mornings), new starter motor, stainless exhaust etc. As you can probably tell I'm pretty smitten with it and I'm already compiling a list of jobs and upgrades :D

As I have now joined the realms of the 80 Series owners, look out for my stupid questions in their droves :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
brilliant - need some photos :clap:

will keep an eye out for you cruising round Aberdeenshire in it
bet your looking forward to the snow!

Thanks guys I will get pics up as soon as I can get outside with the camera without this damn rain :thumbup:

Ecoman said:
Another update....

I have now got a 1993, 80 series, 4.2TD Auto. It has 137K on the clock and is in good condition with no rot. I bought it off another member on here after it was listed on ebay. I did a bit of research and checked out some of his old posts to see what had been done to it. There are a few little things to sort out but nothing to cry about. The biggest job is rear diff lock mechanism needs replacing and a full set of disks and pads. Julian of Overland Cruisers knows this truck and I had a chat with him before I parted with my hard earned cash. He never said anything to scare me off so I decided to jump in with both feet. It has had ACL big end bearings fitted, ironman 2" lift kit (you were right about the ride Julian ;) ), uprated transmission oil cooler, new alternator, Kenlow hotstart (for those cold mornings), new starter motor, stainless exhaust etc. As you can probably tell I'm pretty smitten with it and I'm already compiling a list of jobs and upgrades :D

As I have now joined the realms of the 80 Series owners, look out for my stupid questions in their droves :lol:

I know just the one you're talking about, looked and sounded a good one to me. :thumbup:

Well done Bill - glad you finally got yourself one :thumbup:

Hi bill, welcome. Glad you have found a truck. Hadn't noticed this post. If I had I've have been intouch. I have a red clean cruiser auto grey leather 114 on clock. If anyone else reads this post and fancy a look. Karl

24Seven said:
I know just the one you're talking about, looked and sounded a good one to me. :thumbup:

Aye it was the Beige one that had the roof rack fitted in the picture. It was owned by g wizz who is a member on here and TLOC.

Ecoman said:
24Seven said:

Aye it was the Beige one that had the roof rack fitted in the picture. It was owned by g wizz who is a member on here and TLOC.

I was a bit tempted myself, I have been looking for an 80, 100 or Troopie for the last few months.

I saw a 99 plate 100 diesel VX go on ebay a few weeks ago for £6.5K. OK it had 190k on the clock but it was really tidy condition. If I could have raised the extra I would have jumped at it.

Liftman is selling an 80 on here and it looks a stunner :thumbup:

Ecoman said:
I saw a 99 plate 100 diesel VX go on ebay a few weeks ago for £6.5K. OK it had 190k on the clock but it was really tidy condition. If I could have raised the extra I would have jumped at it.

Liftman is selling an 80 on here and it looks a stunner :thumbup:

I'm in no hurry to buy, the wifes Mitsubishi Delica just passed it's MOT, so she can carry on using that for now and I can keep hold of the 95 until something crops up that a fancy and in the mean time my savings are offsetting the mortgage.

I also have an old Hilux which I drive the most and still will when I get my new LC, the Hilux will never be sold, I love it. :mrgreen:

I too have a Hilux but its a MK4 2.4TD double cab. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon either. Its a great workhorse. I loved it so much I joined the hilux pickup owners club and became a mod on their forum :lol:

Anyway here are the pics as promised

DSCF1769.jpg

DSCF1774.jpg

DSCF1768.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1769.jpg
    DSCF1769.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF1774.jpg
    DSCF1774.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1768.jpg