Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie joins the Ranks

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
Hi all,

The name is Bill Beeton and I was very kindly directed to this site by a Chap on the Hilux Pickup Owners Club forum calling himself Andy. He pointed me in this direction after getting no responses from anyone on the TLOCUK forum.

You have probably heard it all before but I haven't got an LC at present but I'm on the market for an 80 series 4.2TD. I have just sold a couple of bikes and I'm in the process of selling my 2.4 2 Gen Surf.

Some of you may know me from either Elite4x4 or the Hilux Pickup Owners Club as I am one of the moderators on the site. I have been a Toyota convert for the past 4 years after many moons of being a green oval fan. I'm not about to give up my trusty MK4 Hilux just yet though!!! My hilux has been a good solid mode of tranport and has taken me all over Europe as well as being a daily driver and apart from a spell off the road no fault of its own has been sweet for the past 60K miles.

It was while my current toy was laid up for 7 months while I got my gearbox screwed up by a bunch of cowboys in cleckheaton (less said about that the better!! ) that I borrowed an 80 series from a mate while he was working offshore. I fell in love with it and so did my missus (which is rare for her to get attatched to anything mechanical). We were both gutted when he decided to get rid of it as we couldn't afford it at the time and vowed to get one once circumstances allowed. So I have made some sacrifices and sold my 2 other biggest loves, my bikes!! (The missus has promised to get me another one for my birthday next year so all is not lost.

As usual you will probably be asked some pretty daft questions and ones that have been asked before but please bear with me as I take time to learn more about what to look out for and who to avoid :?

So, Anyone I should steer clear of or highly recommended when buying a Landcruiser?

I have seen Chequeredflag crop up from time to time but I'm avoiding him because he seems to be on another planet when it comes to pricing :o

Welcome to the forum - hope you have a great time here. And yes, your No. 1 avoidance has already been noted :p

Keep an eye on the eBay Addicts section - lots of folk watch eBay a LOT :roll: and post found vehicles for sale there from time to time.

Cheers

Gary

Can't really advise you as to 80's but welcome to the forum... There are loads of folk you know lots about 80's on this forum....

LOL I see CF is a swear word on here too :?

Thanks for the advice I will keep an eye out on there. I'm currently watching a clean looking burgundy 80 series import on fleabay. Its down in dudley so a bit of a trek for me but may be worth a look. Ok it doesn't have all 3 difflocks and no leather but it seems straight enough.

Hi Bill

Welcome to the site. You'll find it a much happier place than the 'other' one where you snapped MUX's back end on a post there ;)

Good luck in your hunt for an 80.

Cheers
Gav (AKA Gavlad)

I was very kindly directed to this site by a Chap on the Hilux Pickup Owners Club forum calling himself Andy

Welcome to a new world of happy L/C people, and you have 100% more response.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome - another Aberdeenshire club member!

Dunecht 4x4 sometimes get 80-series in - BUT - their prices seem to be on another planet too!

andy

Ecoman said:
I'm currently watching a clean looking burgundy 80 series import on fleabay. Its down in dudley so a bit of a trek for me but may be worth a look. Ok it doesn't have all 3 difflocks and no leather but it seems straight enough.
got a link for it?

Welcome Bill!

If you have a vehicle that you'd like to have someone inspect, ask away here. I don't know that we have available members covering the entire country but chances are you'll find someone able to help.

In terms of buying, decent 80s are becoming fewer and fewer so it might take a bit of looking before you unearth the right one. I don't know which one you currently "looking" at - my comment is general. Many of the 80s up for sale have been uncared for and worked hard, hence the importance of being patient and inspecting as best you can :mrgreen:

Cheers,

I wonder who has that 80 now... :p

welcome mate and hope you find one soon...

That sounds like I won't need to offer to look at it for Bill then!

Wow what a warm welcome and thanks for the advice everyone. :bow-yellow:

Hi Toby I didn't realise you were a member on here. Yes yours is the one I was on about. The missus drove it and told me that if we got another 4x4 it would be an 80 series. I bought her a surf instead and boy do I regret that :lol: So the surf is going back on the market and my bikes have been sold to finance the 80 :roll:

The one I'm currently watching is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250693180261&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If anyone knows anything about it or lives nearby and can have a butcher for me I would be most greatful :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
With your budget I would aim for a newer one than that as there were a number of updates that are worth having.

Ok thanks. What updates did they do and what are worth looking for?

Ecoman said:
I'm also going to enquire about this one at Walton Motors in Cranleigh Walton

This one is not too far from me - I'd be happy to take a look at it some time if you want? Unfortunately I am off to the US first thing Saturday morning
so I'm not around this weekend but I might be able to have a look towards the end of next week.

Alternatively Ian and Ecky/Les are not that far away either - don't know if either of them are passing that way any time soon?

Cheers,

Ecoman said:
Ok thanks. What updates did they do and what are worth looking for?

About 93 onwards they got better brakes and ABS, thicker drive flanges on the front hubs, different main gearbox, different transfer box, those are the things that I can think of off the top of my head but the others will remember more :)

Ryan Thomson said:
Didn't the rear axle also change from semi-floater to full floater?
It's having a locker that gets you a full floater on an 80, so AFAIK the imports with no rear locker are semi-float.

Thanks again for that. I will dismiss the early one and concentrate on later models. :thumbup:

Back