Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

No electric Land Cruiser

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Don't know if anyone saw the press-release for Toyota's 2030 electric range? Looks like you get a Hi Lux and a squashed FJ if you need something with a bit of ground clearance.

Reactions: Raj
Hi I can see a future Hilux in the pics but nothing there is close to Landcruiser

"If electrons can power one of these, a LC should be childsplay........"
CNH and in particular Newholland have had a working hydrogen fuel tractor for around 15 years.... ultimately this is probably the way heavy plant, large AG and construction equipment will go... battery power is never going to work .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
JCB have some working prototype Hydrogen burning engines. The only "problem" with Hydrogen powered IC engines is they're not 100% emissions free unlike Hydrogen fuel cells producing electricity from a chemical reaction which produce only water vapour. They are way cleaner than current fossil fuel powered engines but will they be clean enough for the blinkered Eco brigade?

Will the Hi Lux Pull a Ifor Williams Livestock trailer fully Loaded up a 1in4 Track on a Welsh mountain side at -6 on a Snowy Monday Morning…. Hope So......... This is what iv Just Put in their comments section.... Its awaiting approval...

This reminds me of a short conversation I had with the driver of an EV a while back in a local ASDA carpark. He'd seen me park up on the LC and remarked how clean it looked but then went on about EV's and how they are the future and that there are 4x4 SUV's coming onto the market and their range is increasing all the time. Ah yes, I said but if I stick a 1 ton caravan on the back, load it up with luggage, fishing tackle, 2 people and a dog and head for Scotland, how far will it get? "But they're not made for that" was his reply! Not much good to me then!:laughing-rolling:

In reality we all know in the Future we will need an alternative Fuel source for Most things, Not just vehicles, But Batteries are not the answer...... Oh! and my comment on the Toyota page has Weirdly disappeared ...... I guess they didn't like my Question

Last edited:
Rivian and Ford have shown their pick-ups testing in sub zero (Farenheit) working well, all be it with reduced range as expected. So I'd be surprised if it can't. The big market seems to be in the US though and that drives pick-up rather than "car" configuration which is a shame for people who want to go offroad, tow and have a big family car, but we're probably in the minority.

My wife has a full EV car with a useable range of 240 miles in the winter and just under 300 in the summer, more than enough for her and the majority of people tbh
it has replaced a Audi S3 and believe me the EV makes the Audi look like a slug on performance.
Charging over night it cost around a fiver for power for 300 miles, Audi costs 60 Quid for 300 miles, mostly down to her heavy right foot
I have done a few 100 miles in it and in reality they are way nicer to drive than any ICE car
Would I personally have one, well I have a Tesla Model Y on order, not selling the Troopy anytime soon mind you

Interesting that in the recent floods here everyone was out and about in their nasty 4x4 diesel and petrol vehicles - not a single BEV in sight... but the green brigade were happy to be rescued by emergency services in their diesel vehicles. Just saying....

Many a diesel and petrol vehicle have been lost in a flood just saying, If you did some real research you might find that a full EV may well be better in a flood than a ICE car, bottom line is they all will float away and you die

True enough on the risk side, David - just speaking from direct observation. Not many EV emergency vehicles around my way.

A BEV can be prepped for wading just like any other vehicle but I think, when it comes to emergency response vehicles, "range anxiety" and the flat battery scenario will always be a major con despite the pro's of cleaner/cheaper running, lower maintenance etc, especially if they have numerous ancillaries all consuming power.

At least one German City has stopped using Electric busses after several major fires in depots when charging overnight.....the chain reaction and ferocity of the fires means once started they are impossible to put out .....
All those that charge their EV parked next to their house or garage with other vehicles are asking for trouble... I think as EV's become more popular the incidents will increase and insurance companies will load household policy's as a result .

Back