Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

No electric Land Cruiser

My wife has a full EV car with a useable range of 240 miles in the winter and just under 300 in the summer, more than enough for her and the majority of people tbh
it has replaced a Audi S3 and believe me the EV makes the Audi look like a slug on performance.
Charging over night it cost around a fiver for power for 300 miles, Audi costs 60 Quid for 300 miles, mostly down to her heavy right foot
I have done a few 100 miles in it and in reality they are way nicer to drive than any ICE car
Would I personally have one, well I have a Tesla Model Y on order, not selling the Troopy anytime soon mind you

the S3 isn’t slow either , same engine and performance as my Golf R , 310bhp and 4.5 seconds ish 0-60 time !

My wife has a full EV car with a useable range of 240 miles in the winter and just under 300 in the summer, more than enough for her and the majority of people tbh
it has replaced a Audi S3 and believe me the EV makes the Audi look like a slug on performance.

Yes but what does using that performance do to the range? You can boot a diesel/petrol all day long, it's no big deal and refuel it just about anywhere. For a stop-start commuter a BEV may make perfect sense but for something a bit more sporty that begs to be "driven", I think not. It's the same, if not worse with bikes. OK for a twist and go scooter but riding bikes for fun is a different measure. Battery power make be quick off the line but for shear riding enjoyment, the fun to be had with a gearbox and a power band is immeasurable. JMO

I think at the moment the power requirements for a large 4x4 cannot be met by battery power alone. A hybrid option - smaller combustion engine operating more efficiently with a traditional drive train but supported by batteries may be a potential interim solution.

We've been looking at hybrid solutions for a different type of project and it is pretty fascinating.

I think not. It's the same, if not worse with bikes. OK for a twist and go scooter but riding bikes for fun is a different measure. Battery power make be quick off the line but for shear riding enjoyment, the fun to be had with a gearbox and a power band is immeasurable. JMO
And have you heard an electric bike? A big part of enjoying motorbikes is the noise and vibration, at least that's what the wife said. ;-)

Is that a Suzuki in the lineup ?
If it was I'd be happy. Massive plus for my Jimny is how tiny it is. It doesn't sink (too much) in mud. Fits through gateways around an old farm. And is ridiculously easy to park. That thing isn't usefully big or small.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agreed Rob , mate of mine , self employed builder mostly around farms managed fine with his old Jimny because his homemade 4x6ft trailer was pretty much a permanent fixture .

Yeah, well that's just fine and dandy but pointless really. What's needed is an affordable car for the masses with batteries that last as long as an ICE, that you can load up with the family and luggage, drive 400+ miles on one charge and recharge virtually anywhere in the time it takes to fill a petrol tank. Then, the car buying public may be persuaded out of their dependable petrol/diesel cars but not until.

I have no doubts about the electric cars from a driving point of view , used to drive a gas bottle driven forklift years ago (do they still have them ? it was something to do with it going into the fast freezer i think) , and i never gave any thought to how it was powered .

What i object to is the certainty that buyers will be at the mercy of sellers for anything more complicated than replacing a window wipers .

Daughter in law would like one and because she works for the NHS she could get one through one of their schemes as her workmate did . Trouble is she says her friend has a private drive and there is no way she herself could run an extension lead to the car from her terraced house overnight even if in the unlikely event she could find a parking space close enough on a public road .

My attitude is if it works for you then great and good luck to you , but they cant MAKE people want one , especially people who know it won't fit with their needs .

No stopping it though because soon they will need all the oil to run power stations so people can charge their cars :lol:

My take on this is that I'd not buy a petrol car now, but I'd still invest in a diesel. I can't think of many reasons to continue producing petrol other than for cars, yet for as long as people need lubrication or cooking oil a diesel engine has a future. Maybe not the Euro6 versions that might get upset on such derv, but I'd bet in future that diesels become less picky over what they run on / the process to cheaply refine derv improves.

I can't have been the only one eyeing up the vegetable oil during the Diesel shortage a few months ago. :laughing:

I tried to go back to support my local biodiesel garage in the middle of the fuel panic but their pump was dry. Not because people were flocking to fill up with cheap and green fuel made from plentyful sources but because Brexit meant they could no longer source the chemicals from Germany.

Last edited:
Don't petrol and diesel come from the same process, from crude oil ? What does 'keep producing petrol v/s diesel' mean here given that's the bit running out (?) And claimed to be causing the problems (?)

I guess the point is you can create fuel for a basic diesel engine without crude oil. I don't think you can for a petrol engine. I'm not sure how viable all that is at any sort of scale though. We can only eat so many chips and growing crops for bio diesel doesn't feel like a very efficient use of the soil with 7 or 8 billion mouths to feed.

I think the future has to be fewer private cars. Better pubilc transport. Less need to travel. Electric cars are a pretty thin smokescreen for that.

They wont be responding to bomb scares in cars likely to multiply the blast impact 10 fold .

Both petrol and diesel can be produced without crude oil, bio diesel from veg oil and petrol (bio ethanol) from cane sugar and other crops but not sustainably in the quantities required to completely replace fuel from crude.
Most countries have set targets to banish fossil fuels long before current reserves of oil run out and oil exploration with new discoveries are set to continue, if only for the use of oil in many manufacturing processes and products.

I can see the attraction of EV's in city locations....

But living in the outback of West Oz it will not happen until some alternate charging method can materialize.

Even those traveling though town which is 700 klms north of Perth would have to line up for a recharge if and when they put in a charging station.

No one has said how long these machines take to re charge... have to be a pub nearby to charge up yourself...

We all have a mobile phone even though mine is a hand me down from the brother as it don't work out here but when I'm away...

The bastard thing go's flat cause its over 2 years old..... motor cars 300 klms this year... 250 klms next year 100 klms in 5 years... I honestly don't get it....

I love the green thing but realistically how fkn green is it... I have that many mining start ups raping my property in the name of green and clean it ain't funny.
(I have a cattle station)

Its all hype as far as I am concerned ... all about money.... and the next big thing..... and it will be until the next thing that strikes a chord with the greenies comes along... hydrogen for example....

The worlds fked but the best motor car is a pre 2007 Land cruiser... Fuck yeah !!!!!!

Apologies ..... I am old and senile.... but I still love beer... at over 40c for the next week or 2 I'm sure you can see that..

Bungy

Does anyone believe the private transport needs of us plebs are included in the future the elites have planned for 2030 and beyond when their great reset is approaching completion.
Yes the well heeled and those approved citizens with permissions will be able to afford or allotted the carbon credits or whatever the method of permissions/charging, and road congestion for those so blessed may well be less than has been the case so far.
Somehow i doubt the charging requirements of those of more modest means, or those who don't meet required criteria of approved person, even features, their own personal transport is more likely to be a bike or scooter, or maybe allowed to rent something for longer journeys, their transport methods to and from work or the regular injections will be public pleb transport.

WEF, to which so many elected or placed leaders of the western world are associated with are not hiding any of this, ''you will own nothing and you will be happy'' isn't a catch phrase its what they have planned, it's starting in small ways with these electric scooters dotted around so many towns, funny how its ok to rent an electric scooter and ride erratically and stupidly all over the roads and pavemenst but its illegal to do so with one you own privately, there's even electronic signs up as you enter our town from several directions informing you that the use of privately owned electric scooters is illegal unless on private land, thin end of the wedge.
No i'm not pissed either, just about to start work in fact, no doubt the term conspiracy theorist will be along soon.

Note how you barely recognise the country you live in now compared to the days before 1997, what they have planned worldwide is only just gearing up, and the working class masses aint included in the grand plan other than as worker drones, they don't need robots to do the menial stuff that's what the lower orders and classes are for.

Think it won't happen and people won't stand for it? if 10 years ago someone had said your govts would show moves towards full totalitarian with measures reminiscent of 1930's central europe using operation fear over this reported wildly overegged pandemic and people would willingly go along with it, with certain sectors apparently demanding more of the same, would you have taken them seriously?

The e-scooter trial (that is meant to end in legislation one way or the other next year) was a response to hand-wringing in parliament with the usual, they are a danger to the blind, and wheelchair users (cars parked on pavements, we'll pretend that doesn't happen). The rental schemes are supposed to be a way to test how they are used and what legislation is required to manage their use safely. I think they're a great idea. Someone on an e-scooter is someone not in a car. More room for those who really need a big box for a specific task.

^^^^^^^^
massive thread drift....sorry...

Whatever our differing views I think most would agree the future doesn't look a great place to be..... the demographic of many of my customers is 55-80 years old and increasingly they comment that "bloody glad I won't be around to see this nonsense play out "

It breaks my heart that my grandchildren will never get to enjoy the things we did and do..... not because of climate change but because the world is increasingly run by faceless multimedia groups and they are allowed to get away with it by the generation who are my grandkids parents.... they will unfortunately reap what they have sown.... a selfish , woke and offended society where the minority have more power than the majority , where groups claim they are bullied but then bully those that don't follow their agenda....

The pandemic will pass .... the sun will continue to rise and set ..... the greedy and selfish will continue to flourish , wars will happen on European soil again .... and unless evolution is given the chance to wipe out those amongst us who shouldn't be allowed to procreate we will continue in a downward spiral.... ( this maybe controversial but the recent murders of 2 young kids by their "parents" indicates such people exist)

Happy Christmas to all ..... whatever race , colour , sex or creed you are identifying as today ;-)

Back