Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

No electrical power

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
Hi folkS

Trying to get the cruiser ready for my return in a few weeks, my nephew went to charge the batteries and removed the drivers side to charge (so he pulled the wrong one anyway)
Now there is no power at all . No lights on the console when the Key is turned and no start.
Batteries are healthy, he assures me he reattached all the wires to both batteries.
Does this sound like it may be the fusible link ?

279AABC4-DE36-41F4-925A-427A7AE28047.png
Oh and if so is this the correct one ?
Just wanna come home and drive my cruiser and be happy.
I was forced to drive my nephews corsa for three days while I had my MOT done and it made me want to cry.

Does your 80 actually have a fusible link? Mine has non that I can see, just two connectors.
The one in your picture doesn’t look big enough to be the main fusible link from the battery, if it has one.

DF630AF9-55F6-4AFB-B31C-CE107C19594C.jpeg

I think it does, its been a while since I did the 12v conversion. I'm hoping it's something simple like he left a cable off the terminal, i'm waiting for some photos to confirm.
I'm just going to buy a full set of fuses including the slow blow jap ones as a precaution and then I've got spares too.

There is this fuse link that goes on the passenger battery, one side to positive terminal the other terminates in a little plastic box. I've had non starting issues because of this one.

20180628_095134.jpg

There is this fuse link that goes on the passenger battery, one side to positive terminal the other terminates in a little plastic box. I've had non starting issues because of this one.

View attachment 145971

Aha! That looks very much like one of the wires coming off the pos terminal on the DS battery and into the small plastic box type connector in my pic. Two larger cables exit the connector, one to the intake air heater and the other to who knows where?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just check everything is connected and nothing is wrenched off. Earth strap to inner DS wing could cause this if broken.

View attachment 145971

Cheers Trevor,
Sure he didn't put the battery in backwards? Sounds like a stupid question, but....
The IBS battery monitor is showing charge so I’m assuming the polarity is correct. The batteries are sided by then the terminal posts wouldn’t match.
I think I may just kill him as a precaution.... he has just got “driving other cars’ as he just turned 25 so I suspect he wanted to take it for a run to impress his mates.

The battery can be disconnected by loosening only the clamp bolt. Loosening the terminal bolt means all the cables come off individually. If he’s disconnected the battery by this method he could well have left one off.
You’ll still get all the lights on the dash with no earth to the drivers side battery until you try and start it.

Cheers for the help guys, He is busy this weekend being a paramedic so I won't get the pics till next week.
Hopefully it's something minor or he will need an effing paramedic when I get back.
Got a whole 2 weeks to tinker so I am hoping to have the intercooler finally plumbed in, the EGT and boost gauges wired and the fuelling set up. May be a bit ambitious but ill give it a bash.

I replaced the fusible links with fuses, the links are becoming troublesome with age.

The cables after the little connector block are power for vehicle electrics except starter heavy cable. There IIRC at least 3 cables but they merge in the loom, one will go to fuses/relay for glow plugs (12 valve), and another to 'AM1' in the fuse box.

I will check how many when I see my car again.

Rsgards

Dave

Well it's hardly a "where's Wally" but I think I've discovered why it isn't starting.
When I got the picture I almost pointed out the problem but then realized that means it's going to be driving around in circles at the edge of town shopping centre car park on one of their "cruise nights"
"It's OK son ... I'll have to call the AA out when I get back :)
db26a433-d51e-43c7-8423-3869a5fb549d.jpg

D’oh!! :doh:

Do the AA send Paramedics these days then H?

:tearsofjoy: I think he got away with it this time... I'm relived I don't have to waste time fault finding on electrics. I just fitted a new stereo on the other car and thanks to my colour blindness I had to have someone tell me the wiring colours. Now I can finally plumb in the intercooler.

Back