Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

No New Land Cruisers in the UK

Just a thought, are we here all dinosaurs?

The rest of the motoring public seem to want to 'rent' their vehicles for 3 years and hand them back, no one else apparently apart from us expects 20+ years of reliable trouble free service from a vehicle, mind you we expect to maintain it properly, others are under the impression an oil change once in their 3 years rental is too much trouble, think about it, who apart from silly buggers like us do you ever see working on their own cars, the only people i've seen where we live were the Polish lads who rented a house up the road and worked on a few cars out on the road Much to the annoyance of their immediate neighbours, never bothered me some working class blokes trying to earn a crust), i can't recall anyone else even raising a bonnet.
We arn't bothered about pointless toys which only go wrong anyway, nor do we worry about fashion fads or give two hoots about what image our vehicle might portray.

Are we a dying breed of vehicle 'owners', i bet most here also have an admiration for Dacias, quite fancy one of the new Joggers myself, they do a natty hybrid, practicle and likely to be looked down upon or ridiculed by people we'd rather stick rusty nails in our eyes than associate with which would be a bonus.

Years ago my mate, brilliant car welder, aired his thoughts there was a market for simple no nonsense robust reliable easy to fix vehicles, but until Dacia came on the scene in a big way few buyers opted for them, arguably the 3 year lease/rental market arn't bothered about either simplicity or durability because it will never affect them...or does that depend on incomes being high and constant enough to ensure the 'never never' monthly payments can continue to be made, seeing what's happened to almost every working persons outgoings since the covid scam, is the 3 year rent/lease still the way?

On the dinosaur point, that was tongue in cheek up to a point, i've long thought that if humans last as long as the dinosaurs without self destructing it will be a miracle.

Sorry about the off topic meanderings, just some odd thoughts as to why LC sales are so low as apparently to be of no interest whatsoever to Toyota GB.

as you were :icon-redface:

I think it's also an image issue

Toyota GB would bring the 150 in if they thought it would sell .
But and it's a big but..... The Landcruiser image of rough tough last for ever vehicles has been eroded in the UK and they haven't imported the big "tough" versions for a while anyway .

If you compare a 150 to say a Discovery , Mercedes ML or what ever the model is now , or a Volvo XC or VW whatever they all have more toys , more flash kerb appeal , bigger and more powerful engines ...and then you add the "new" Defender into the mix.... it is as we all know a disaster reliability wise but most owners don't care.... JLR warranty will pick up the bill and they'll of sold it before it's out of warranty ... but it's the new cool school run car round here often loaded with £thousands of extras...

The "Landcruiser" brand in the UK is niche by comparison....we don't have the conditions or space to "use" ours in the way the Aussies do.....and sales have reflected that..... very different in other markets where reliability counts and HD versions are aspirational and thought of as working vehicles

Now if Toyota GB decided to bring in the 75 series to sell against the Ineos Grenadier , and the 300 to sell to those that need a reliable 3.5 ton capable tow vehicle they might sell a few but not enough to justify the UK paper work required

Agree with that Grimbo, the last forever bit we've discovered Toyota didn't make provision in their design to account for countries with a road salt fetish, mechanically they're pretty good albeit injectors still appear to be made of cheese, the lack of protection of the undersides at manuaacture stage was a serious mistake.

Had they arranged for chassis axle casings and vulnerable fittings to be galvanised on vehicles bound for europe, if nowhere else, they would be even more coveted than at present.
If a 15 year old 120/100 needed a new engine or transmission on a vehicle still as solid as the day it was made few of us would baulk at the ££££ it cost, safe in the knowledge the rest of the vehicle was only at half life point...wouldn't have hurt them to have factory exchange recon units ready to fit either.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And all the Sloane rangers and 'celebrities' (wetf that means) don't take an interest/care about all the recalls on their bling mobiles, but still buy them.
No good stood on the drive or recalled by Toyota because they don't work, or are dangerous - numerous times.

Years ago my mate, brilliant car welder, aired his thoughts there was a market for simple no nonsense robust reliable easy to fix vehicles, but until Dacia came on the scene in a big way few buyers opted for them, arguably the 3 year lease/rental market arn't bothered about either simplicity or durability because it will never affect them...or does that depend on incomes being high and constant enough to ensure the 'never never' monthly payments can continue to be made, seeing what's happened to almost every working persons outgoings since the covid scam, is the 3 year rent/lease still the way?

what is the typical monthly repayment on a landcruiser/rangerover kind of vehicle?

a 80 series owning mechanic mate of mine had a 2016 200 series on his ramps a couple of weeks ago.

he said come and have a look at this, underneath it was literally a couple of winters away from needing some serious welding. cost the owner about 25k iirc.

not good enough and not for me thanks..

Would you pay £110k for a 300 series VX ?

The problem Toyota has is that they can't keep the top line edge for the LC brand at a price that makes sense.

They stopped selling these in the US for the same reason. It's not the market has gone, it's because the market changed. If you don't believe me, look at the ford raptor and bronco sales numbers.

Does anyone actually pay these prices though or are they all just leased?

If you actually did spend £110k on an LC you'd be scared of getting it scratched. That's no use for that type of vehicle is it?

Toyota has followed a different design brief for the "new" LC models over the last few years IMO. They've kept the 79 series (which we are denied here in the UK anyway) for "proper" off road duty and targeted the Chelsea Tractor brigade, focusing on road manners and performance, gadgets and comfort. They obviously don't see a market for a stripped out, belt and braces, basic utilitarian model as LR do with their new Defender.
A quick review here of a new contender but still pricey at £69k.
Inneos Grenadier

Well this is kick up the arse I need to clean and re-Lanoguard the new one. I might even think about considering contemplating doing a bit more remedial work on the old one.

hey obviously don't see a market for a stripped out, belt and braces, basic utilitarian model as LR do with their new Defender.

The commerical seems more back to basics than any new Defender. And a *lot* cheaper - OK, if you could buy one. The poverty spec Defender hardtop is £52K.

I'm with Juddian on Dacias. But it's annoying I'd have to buy a "fancy" one to get 4x4. Doesn't look like Suzuki will ever sort out supply with the petrol Jimny, but I did treat the underside of my old one a few weeks ago, possibly just in time.

There was a review of it on Pistonheads couple of weeks ago of the Jogger Hybrid, quite interesting.
Yes please Karl, be interested to see what they have to say.

There's a Renault/Dacia dealer less than a mile from us, trouble is i'm sworn never to go near the place, delivered a truckload of about 8 vans there one day, the bloke who checked them i was just about the most obnoxious arse i've ever met.
Always annoyed with myself for not putting the buggers back on and taking them to our local compound, Union Convener would have backed me to the hilt, instead he blacked the place.

Interesting that Flint, i've skimmed through for now and will have a poke nose later on.

One thing stuck out like a sore thumb, no petrol option Diesel only.

It's only the west in a headlong rush to self inflicted penury, what with project Zero and all the other bullshine, the rest of the world arn't going to bankrupt themselves to please politician and media owning oligarchs who travel in private jets to Davos to lecture working people for daring to think themselves above serf statuts.

Back