Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noise /clonk when i select drive

freestate

Hi, im all new to this forum and very new to Landcruisers in general.A couple of months ago I bought a LC100 with 26000 mil on the meter. The car has been serviced according to the service manual and the overall state of the car is fantastic. However I think I hear / feel a clonk sometimes when I select drive, it's as if there is a bit of play somewhere.
It feels / sounds like it comes from the rear of the car.
Is this something normal or is it a new box or something in between? Should I take the car to the shop or is it something that might just need some extra grease?
Grateful for all comments and ideas.

Sorry, don't know how to edit a post.
Just wanted to clarify that it's not a loud or harsh sound.
Also, the car is a 99 V8.

Last edited:
One common problem is that the splines, the sliding joint, on the propellor shaft are either dry or, more commonly, overlubed and hydrolocked. SOme people have had to take the shaft(s) apart for cleaning.
The propellor shafts have to be greased regularly and frequently, but don't pump to much into the splines if they are tight and don't let out any grease. They will work as a hydraulic ram and push the diff and gearbox apart. When you "take off" (start driving), the rear diff changes position and has to overcome the pressure from the pushing shaft. If you unscrew the grease nipple after lubricating, you will see if there is any pressure building up.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll have a look at that.
I take it from your comment that it doesn't sound like something terminal too you?

I've a v8 2002 and it does the same thing and has done since I bought it! I wouldn't worry too much about it

Ok, I'll have a look at that.
I take it from your comment that it doesn't sound like something terminal too you?
If there is a pressure from the prop.shaft onto the diff and gearbox, it will apply an abnormal pressure on the bearings.

But your clonk could be something else - checked the rubber bushings in the rear end arms?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If there is a pressure from the prop.shaft onto the diff and gearbox, it will apply an abnormal pressure on the bearings.

But your clonk could be something else - checked the rubber bushings in the rear end arms?

Full schedule til next weekend. I'll check your ideas out then and let you know how it went. Cheers.

Back