Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

noise when stopping

tomrichardson

hello good people.
i wonder if you may shed some light on a small noise my cruiser has started making.
simply, when i turn off the key, as the engine comes to a stop it makes a dull metallic "clunk clunk".
its almost as if you stick a screwdriver into a toothed cog just as it stops.
does anyone elses do this or do i need to make some further investigations??
it has done it for some time now but tonight when i stopped the engine it was very loud and slighly disconcerting.
my mates lorry does it too, but my cruiser doesn't have a 450 caterpillar engine in it!!!!
many thanks, Tom.

I had this on a diesel Land Rover. Turned out to be a loose engine mounting stud on the chassis side. Chassis made the sound feel serious. Check gearbox as well.

Frank

thanks frank. i'll look at the mountings. i have looked at the exhaust etc and been round tapping things but to no avail.
i've heard lorries do it but never my cruiser. maybe i never noticed before but now i have, i tend to listen out for it. must be going mad!!!

does it knock if you reverse up a hill in low range as well? that would be the passenger side engine mount rubber separated from the metal :)

The problem with my Land Rover stud was that it went through a slotted hole to allow alignment. The Nyloc was loose and when the engine stopped the stud shot up the hole and banged on the chassis. The only brand new car I ever bought [1973] and like it from new. Fair play.... nothing went wrong in 76,000 miles of my ownership.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
.... nothing went wrong in 76,000 miles of my ownership.
Frank
That must be some kind of record, you should contact The Guinness book of records :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I knew I would be stepping into the stocks; if any of you can remember them.

Frank

Back