Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy LC 120 Diesel

I haven't tried any diagnostics on the vehicle but the EGR valve is an interesting suggestion........

Valve clearances a possible?
I haven't had one of these down but believe the tappets are shimmed, is it possible for a shim to escape leaving a larger than life vale clearance, could there be a worn shim, hopefully not a damaged lobe.
5 minute job to nip the cambelt cover off and make sure everything's hunky dory there.
Another 5 minute job to nip the auxilliary drive belt off, then run the engine for a few moments ruling out everything driven by that belt.

Ok thanks, I will try your suggestions and also try removing the EGR valve and giving it a good clean.

If the auxilliary belt diagram is missing from the air filter housing, take a pic of the route it takes before dropping it off, it all looks a bit confusing which route the belt should take the first time.

I have been doing some poking around trying to find others whose Land Cruiser has a similar problem and found this

Success at last !!Toyota have given the dealer a new set of figures for the D4D 1KD-FTV 171bhp and I had the input this PM the engine is as quiet as new now. Apparently it had to do with the combustion side of things and with the EURO 1V emission control.

Presume all these numbers are to do with the compensation codes on the injectors? I was told by the garage that fited the new injectors that my vehicle a 2004 model doesn't need compensation codes. Anyone else come across this? Does sound exactly the same as what I am experiencing.

I am going to try cleaning the EGR valve out next.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It doesn't sound like the compensation codes on the injectors to me, it sounds like some tweaking of the ECU - not very helpful if they wont share whats been tweaked!

Were the compensation codes entered correctly when the injectors were changed? If you have a picture of the injectors as installed, you can check the codes against the ones the ECU has registered via techstream - the codes are on top of each injector.

That is what I was asking, the garage told me that my LC4 being a 2004 model was of an age that didn't require compensation codes and just wondered if anyone else had heard that? Don't think this problem would show up on a diagnostic device but I will ask next time the vehicle is in at the garage.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure your 2004 *does* need injector compensation codes.

So does that mean the garage fitted the injectors without entering the codes? You need to plug it into techstream and see what compensation codes are in there. If they haven't been entered for the new injectors, it will probably still have the codes for the original injectors - so even worse than being missing, they are just wrong.

Does the garage that did the injectors have techstream, and the ability to verify the current codes and enter the new ones?

Garage didn't enter any codes as they said they were not applicable to my age of vehicle but the noise was exactly the same when the old injectors were in. There is no history with the car after 111k and it is now at 135k so who knows if these were the original injectors that came out. Not sure if any of the local garages have Techstream or not.

Some good information on this video:

Your garage may be getting confused with the pilot learn procedure which isn't applicable to 120 injectors (AFAIK).

If they've changed injectors and not updated the ECU codes, theyve only done half the job.

If you've got a spare laptop and are OK with computers, you can get techstream on ebay and do it yourself. Failing that maybe there a member near you who can lend you the kit or check it for you.

The plot thickens.
So they've slotted a new set of injectors in and not coded them.
As Karl mentions this is easily checked by techstream, other diagnostics are available, a chap i know has a Snap On diagnostics tool, he used this to code in new injectors he fitted to an Avensis, so it doesn't have to be Techstream to check this out.

However, pardon me for being a bit thick here, but if the injectors were not coded how is the engine running at all, how can the new injectors open and respond if the ecu isn't aware of them, its not a mechanical injection system firing fuel down an injector pipe for a given pressure and timing, don't electronic injectors simply take what they need whe ninstructed by the ecu from a constantly pressurised common feed rail?...please try and make any answers suitable for the idiot at the back...me.
Did they replace the injectors or did they get the present set reconditioned and refitted in the same cylinders.

I don't think any of it will be (anything like) far enough out to stop it running, it just won't be running quite right.

I always think of it that the injectors are theoretically manufactured to a particular standard (say X) but in practice manufacturing errors and tolerances means it ends up more like Y. The compensation code is the difference between X and Y - the frig factor that the ECU needs so that the injector actually behaves as originally designed. I might be wrong though - wouldn't be the first (or last haha) time!

I will go and explain this to my local garage, not sure I trust the garage anymore that fitted the injectors for me. Think I need to find someone near me in the Scottish Borders that really understands these engines...

Ran the vehicle through a diagnostics today. No fault codes, errors or anything else relating to the engine or injectors was found. It wasn't Techstream diagnostics but not sure if that would show any difference. The fact that the engine made exactly the same noise with the old injectors in as it did when they were replaced should not be overlooked, probably clutching at straws trying to pin it on injectors again.........

Back