Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy power steering pump

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I changed the fluid this morning. Very simple job once the bash plate is off. Mr-T left a "pointless" join between two rubber pipes just in front of the rack. Very easy to get to and it is the lowest point in everything so can only assume it is for draining.
Clips off and out came the brown fluid. Turned the steering from side to side as well as turning over the engine without injector fuse in (because of oil change) and some more came out.

I refilled the tank with about 200ml jacked the front up and started the engine. Turned the wheel from side to side but short of hitting the stops and it took more ATF. Eventually it stopped taking it after about 450ml and is now on the COLD level.

I used DEXTRON III as per the book. Odd thing though is that the pump is now quite noisy. Quiet when wheels straight and enough of a noise to hear it in the cab when you turning. Quite loud when against the end-stop. Why would this be?

One thing I did notice though is that the ATF in the reservoir is a lovely pink froth. I'm guessing this will pass as the air works its way out. Could this be causing the noise?

Ooo-er - according to the FSM which i'm looking at, those symptoms signify a problem, and you need to bleed the system:

3. BLEED AIR IN POWER STEERING SYSTEM
NOTICE:
If you replace or separate the components for the power
steering fluid pressure line, bleed air from the power steering
system after the operation.

(a) Idle the engine at 1,000 rpm or less until bubbles in the
fluid disappear. (Be sure not to turn the steering wheel.)

(b) When the bubbles disappear, slowly turn the steering
wheel from lock to lock 2 or 3 times.

(c) Repeat procedures (a) and (b) until the fluid level in the
reservoir becomes stable and bubbles disappear. If the
fluid level goes below the MAX line, add fluid.

(d) When the fluid level becomes stable, increase and decrease
oil pressure 2 or 3 times for both left and right by
turning the steering wheel to the full lock positions and jiggling
it there.

(e) Make sure that no bubbles exist in the reservoir. When
turning the steering wheel quickly or turning it from lock
to lock, check that the steering wheel is not heavy to turn
and there is no abnormal noise or vibration.

(f) When there are fluid leaks or abnormalities after bleeding
air, repair them and repeat procedures (a) to (e). If the abnormalities
still exist, replace the related parts.

Good luck!!!

So after letting it idle a bit more and slowly turning from side to side I go for a drive around the block. I get back to see a text message on my phone from Gary saying "DON'T DRIVE YOUR TRUCK. See the forum". My heart sank. I could see money falling out my pockets.

Well, it is all quite now and the bubbles / froth have changed to a nice red liquid. I needed some more topping up but all is well. No noise, even when held on the stops.

Next time, RTFM first :mrgreen:

I just change the fluid in the reservoir when I remember, less messing about and seems to work.

Back