Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noisy rear end

Aspire

Country Flag
england
Hi now my exhaust sorted I have slight whine from the back end. On inspection there is metal in the diff oil. The noise seems to be coming from the rear near side.. The noise is only apparent above 50mph and under throttle if you ease of the noise goes.

So I'm thinking new rear diff and poss wheel bearing, so as I have to take the drive shafts out might as well do both wheel bearings. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

regards

Simon

I am unsure what model you have (no sig?), IIRC the earlier versions had the bearings exposed to gearbox oil so it could be just a bearing? When on the move knock it in neutral and whilst rolling try steering gently left and right as if following a winding lane. If the noise changes then more likely a wheel bearing, the noise will increase when under load, for example if it gets noisier when turning right then it is the left bearing and obviously the opposite if steering in the other direction.

I would not leave it too long, if the differential is ok now it will not be for much longer.

regards

Dave

Good to see it is sorted, what model/year is your car for reference?

regards

Dave

Back