Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Non starter

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Yesterday all was fine, this afternoon it won't turn over, all I get is a faint click from behind the dashboard somewhere, battery reads 12.47v any ideas chaps?

That's what I was afraid of Karl, got a spare :pray:

Neutral start position? Oh hang on - you're in a manual now aren't you?

Chris

Chris said:
Neutral start position? Oh hang on - you're in a manual now aren't you?

Chris
No Chris it's an auto, and I tried it in N & P, no go :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmm, right. Quite possibly the starter contacts. I had to do mine the other week. No real warning, just wouldn't spin. I got a sort of Whuump noise as the plunger went up and down in the bore. Took it off, removed the end of the solenoid casing and cleaned up the contacts. All fine again.

Chris

The only noise I can hear is a very faint click, which at first I thought was coming from behind the dash but later while I was upside down under the steering wheel running a cable and turned the key I heard it from down near the left-hand side of the pedals.
I tried thumping the starter with an iron rod while my wife turned the key but that didn't work.

Not sure about that Chas, but it doesn't sound immediately as it's the starter. Presume you have tried the trick of giving it a precision clonk with a hammer :whistle:

The clicking might just be the fuel relay. Not got an immobiliser has it?

C

Sounds like the starter solenoid. As Chris said give it the ol' precision tap

:confusion-confused:
Chris said:
Presume you have tried the trick of giving it a precision clonk with a hammer :whistle:
The clicking might just be the fuel relay. Not got an immobiliser has it?C
Yeah I've tried that with a lump hammer, it does have an immobiliser but that seems to be OK, at least if the immobiliser is activated when you turn the ignition on you only get some dash lights coming on, but when you press the alarm de-activator they all come on but it still won't turn over so I suppose it's not the immobiliser. :confusion-confused:

karl webster said:
Hi Chas

Did you sort this out ?

Karl
Not yet Karl, I might have a go at getting underneath and removing the starter motor today, but it's going to be a bit difficult as the only jack I've got is the Toyo screw, all my other stuff is in the 80 up at Julian's and my back problems and a touch of arthritis in my hands is going to make it a bit physically challenging :thumbdown:

You can get in from the ns wheel inbetween the Chasie and body :thumbup:

If you want one sending out let me know and I'll charge you for it if you need it.

Karl

Thanks Karl, I've never taken one off before, I didn't realise you could get at it easily, I'll try and get it off and have a look and see if the contacts can be cleaned. I'll let you know if I need a spare :thumbup:

Had a look in the garage for an axle stand and also found my hydraulic bottle jack which I thought was at Julian's, so battery disconected, :thumbup: , handbrake on, :thumbup: , gearlever in park, :thumbup: , and a chock behind the rear wheel, :thumbup: . OK we're all systems go. Wheel off and removed the splash guard protecting the starter motor.
I can see the lower bolt on the flange but for the life of me I can't see the upper one, I even printed off a picture of a starter motor to compare in situ, I know where it should be but can't see it let alone get a spanner on it. Help needed please!

Hi again mate :D
Top of the starter slightly towards the engine. The auto box loom may be hiding it :thumbup:

karl webster said:
Hi again mate :D
Top of the starter slightly towards the engine. The auto box loom may be hiding it :thumbup:
Cheers Karl, I'll have another look, what I really need is someone who knows what their doing here.

Cossack said:
.... what I really need is someone who knows what their doing here.

I'm going to get my popcorn now. Pretty sure there's going to be some 'interesting' comments :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
Cossack said:
.... what I really need is someone who knows what their doing here.

I'm going to get my popcorn now. Pretty sure there's going to be some 'interesting' comments :lol:

:lol:

I could do a call out fee chas but would cost a fortune you being 1000 miles away

Back