Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Normal 2h engine sounds??

Take the fan belt off and eliminate the other bits which are turning. I've had a few 60's and non of them clattered like that.

Andy

Hi have you adjusted the valve clearances? Generally with the 2h it's the best thing to do to it, it also will allow you to wring out the best possible performance from it.
Be a good and easy place to start. Easy job to take the rocker cover off and check. I can look up the hot tolerances gaps for you if you dont have them..... iwan..

Hi Iwan
Thanks for that. Yes, I had the valve clearances/tappets set two weeks ago - the mechanic said that 8 were slightly ut but they are done now and the noise is still there.
Cliffy

I've had 2 HJ47,one with 230 000km,and just got another with 40 000km,and they sound different.
They noisy when cold but after the more you rev them the smoother they sound,mine don't sound like that not even the 230 000km one.Will try and post a video of mine,tomorrow.
Hope it helps.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi FJ Thanks for this. Unfortunately, mine makes that clatter at all temperatures.

Hi All

To give an update...

I just had another diesel mechanic check her over and he says there are no mechanical problems as such, but he felt the engine is missing due to a likely injector fault. New injectors are on order.

Off to a LC mechanic now to get his view.

We'll see!!

Hi there Cliffy

If its missing then you will have unburnt fuel, if so you will also have black smoke, just check you have before you order injectors. By the way every OZ truck I have had has needed the fuel tank cleaning and new fuel filters (sometimes a few times), if you have not done this yet you might not want to put new injectors in it just yet. Trust me your tank will be full of brown sand, which is no good for anything.

Giles

Hi Giles/All

Good to hear from you. Thanks for that interesting guidance. Very helpful. I shall pass that on to the mechanic. I've had a new fuel filter a few months ago, but as you say, maybe the whole system needs cleaning.

I've just returned from the LC mechanic - he's the guy I mentioned who did his apprenticeship on 40s in S Africa. He used a stethoscope to listen to the injectors and let me hear - there is a very different sound coming from the first three injectors, with no. 1 & 2 being VERY clunky. No 1 was especially knocking and he was also able to change the clatter by altering the nut, so he feels it is likely the injectors. It is also misfiring, very obviously. He ran it up to full speed (until governor set in) and he says that all the bearings, rods, camshaft, gudgeons etc sound normal. He is confident that it is the injectors giving a bad 'spray pattern'. He also said that the clip I posted doesn't help much as it is taking general noises and amplifying them from the side of the truck. He will also recheck the compression, do (wet and dry) a leak test, and other stuff but doesn't expect to find anything but the injectors to be at fault.

We'll see!

I shall keep you all posted, thanks for all your input so far.

Cheers

Cliffy

Hi mate

glad that you seem to be getting somewhere,,if you think it is the injectors 1 and 2 the quickest way to see is to swap them with 5 and 6 and see if the noise moves,, you could even play the screwdriver game i mentioned earlier. I have engineering place next to me and they have loads of great kit, one of the things they have is a sonic cleaner, works great on injectors, carbs , anything, you might find you don't need new ones they just need cleaning

ps if it was mine I would not use it a lot or rev it hard until it ran right.

Giles

Thanks Giles

Appreciated. Incidentally, what oil do you recommend for 2hs?

Cheers
Cliffy

I am with Andy just use good mineral, if its not had an oil change for a while do another oil change in a few thousand miles or six months if its not driven a lot. As your truck was from a mining company its unlikely much maintenance was done unless things were dropping off, so you might have a bit of catching up to do if you know what I mean

Giles

Thanks for that. I had the oil changed about 2,000klms ago, but what you say makes sense to change again. Also, I don't know what oil the mechanic used. I bought a bunch of filters of Terrain tamer so I have those 'in stock' for convenience.
Cliffy

Back