Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Normal 2h engine sounds??

Cliffy

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All

I'm seeking some opinions on 2H engine sounds, perhaps you can assist?!

My HJ47 2h has reportedly only done 60,000 miles from new and been serviced pretty well. Perhaps, perhaps!

My mechanic, who did his apprenticeship on LC 40s tells me mine sounds normal, and that the clatter is merely compression noise - although he recommended a new set of injectors, which are on order.

However, I can't help feeling that the annoying clatter that comes from this engine (which seems much louder than injector clatter I'd say) would have been rather off-putting for sales, so I do wonder if mine is as normal as it should be. Having never driven another 2h I'm clueless.

The mechanic (who seems really conscientious and thorough btw) recently set the valves/tappets (he found 8 slightly out) and replaced all the exhaust gaskets and a manifold stud. He said everything else was like new, clean, smooth etc. When the truck is idling it has a lovely 'tight' 'bubbly' diesel sound. But when driven at anything less that 100klms/hr one never loses the wretched clatter.

Can any 2h drivers confirm/reject that a clattering is normal for these engines?

Cheers to all

Cliffy

Maybe if you post a vid it might allow someone to recognize the noise . If the conscientious and thorough mechanic who served his apprenticeship working on LC 40's happens to be correct and the annoying sound is normal maybe an exhaust modification would make the sound less noticeable .

Hi Shayne
Thanks for the suggestion. I can certainly try - not sure on film how easily the clatter will come across/through the general wind noise etc - which is a more powerful noise but I'll give it a go! My guess is that anyone who's driven a 2h will either say there should or shouldn't be a clatter - it sounds like a 20kg dragonfly is stuck under the bonnet! It's not that though as I;ve looked!
Cheers
Cliffy

Hi there Cliffy

sorry to say you have a problem, I am no mechanic as i have said before but I have had a few of these and they don't clatter, if anything the harder you rev the smoother they are. Have you done a compression test? if it was me i would get a long screwdriver, put my ear to it and try and work out if the noise is worse front to back, or bottom or top of the engine.

Giles

Hi Giles
Good to hear from you! Certainly the faster I drive the less the engine clatters, but when I'm listening under the bonnet it all sounds fine. It simply sounds like a very noisy tappet but it can't be as they've been reset. The mechanic said the compression was fine. The clatter seems to come from the top end, but as I said, one can only hear it if driving so I can't put a screwdriver against the engine unless it is stationary when you can rev it as much as you like and it sounds fine. I asked another diesel mech to check it and he also said that it sounded 'lovely'. But I'm still not convinced.

I need another 2h owner to run it I think.

Cliffy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that Shayne, but this noise is definitely of engine origin, not transmission.
Cheers
Cliff

Where abouts are you? I have a 47 and am in Cumbria
mines noisy like a bag of nails when she's cold, after that it's just a big ol Diesel engine noise, nothing I'd say that clatters
but we could meet up somewhere and have a look ?

Hi Stan

Thanks for this. I'm in Kent! But oddly enough, I have booked a two day break to central Cumbria (nr Keswick) on 10-13 November. But if this is a 'bad' clatter' then I'm not sure I'd risk taking it that far!

If you can imagine the normal diesel 'knock'/clatter you get on idle, but then imagine that it stays through to about 6mph before disappearing, then that's what I have.

Cliffy

I could TRY to put a film with sound on here but I'm not sure how to do that! I have a bit of film already with the truck moving at slow speeds whilst in Wales which has some of the clatter in it. Otherwise, I guess I'd have to attach the camera under the bonnet somehow and drive with it?!

So it's fine when it's not moving and fine when it's moving fast yeah ? Makes me think it's something to do with airflow , a loose heat shield or something , when your stopped it sits tidy and at speed it's pushed constantly away from the surface it rattles against at slower speeds .

Hi again Shayne

That's an interesting idea. Yes, it's true, at idle it sounds like all the other 2Hs I've listened to on Youtube when they are idling. And at speed it runs quiet (except for wind etc). I've got some some film that should let you/anyone hear the noise (albeit above the human chatter!) If anyone can tell me how to put it on here?!

Cliffy

I use photobucket , its free . Upload the vid there and in the bottom right corner it says copy code , click on that then you can right click and paste the vid here .

Ah ok thanks Shayne. I'm first gong to try uploading to the truck's FB account and see if that works. Hold on...

Hi Shayne, nearly there - had to find a piece of film that wasn't too long. trying to upload to FB now and should have link in a jiffy!

Hmmm FB is taking forever and doing nothing it seems!

Looks like another 10 mins of uploading time - even though the clip's only 45 seconds or so! sorry for delay!

Back