Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not the introduction I was hoping for..

Dankiama80

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,

So I've had a few vehicles, and always loved my off roaders, first was a raised '79 VW single cab ute flared with big Duelers, was surprisingly capable! Then a SWB MavPatrol which didn't need much but some suspension extension. Then lots of fun was had with the '76 RR 3.9 Cant think of a nut I didn't turn or upgrade on it. Then the '04 hilux dual cab with the 1kzte 3.0 T. Reliable! Great work and play truck. Upgraded to the '14 Ranger XLT. Amazing out of the box. Covered Fraser with stock tyres and suspension, not stuck once.

Which brings me to now.. So I was looking for a towing and adventure truck with my limited budget of around $7.5k And settled on a FZJ80 pet/gas with 400k, receipts for 10k services and evidence of garaging its whole life. Stock, with the original spare on the carrier, mostly used for mum going to the pool and shops and dad to the boatramp then the carwash. Immaculate. I get it for $6k. Checked the oil for water and the water for oil, drove it, agreed the gas needed a slight tune as idle was low.

Towed that day for 350ks no problem, 3 days later started to push water out of overflow and lpg thingy freezing up and wont drive 10k's on lpg, great on petrol. Replaced rad cap and flushed coolant system, bit of blockage in smaller hoses, not sure what. Then all good. Installed snorkel. All great. Next day drive to work and pull up billowing white smoke.

Go to mechanic and we agree the head has to come off due to missing and smoke and steam.

Damn, its a week in my driveway and looks like Im up for a $3k repair. Should have done a pressure test..

Im looking for a Head with gas valve setup and bolt and gasket kit. Any help appreciated please.

Cheers,

Dan

IMG_9317.jpg

Hi Dan and welcome.

That's a nice looking truck there. It's a real shame its got cooked in your first week of ownership.

Good luck with fixing her up. You've come to the right place for help and advice. Best advice I can give is to use genuine Toyota parts for something as critical as this.

Look forward to seeing her fixed up and back on the road. Would be good for you to do a write up on what is found with the head off and what is done to fix it with lots of photos as we all love photos on here.

Best wishes
Richard

Back