Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not the normal tyre question....

Most of the sipes on the coopers dont actually go anywhere, so I wonder how/where they eject the water? Marketing bullshit, as usual.
Sipes are, in addition to the rubber composition, the most important feature for good grip on ice and snow covered roads. The more and denser the sipes, the better grip you get. It makes the tyre grip a bit like climbing lizards' feet. I think it is because it lets the tyre surface bend and shape itself according to the road surface. Useless for climbing sharp rocks tho'.

Sipes are, in addition to the rubber composition, the most important feature for good grip on ice and snow covered roads. The more and denser the sipes, the better grip you get. It makes the tyre grip a bit like climbing lizards' feet. I think it is because it lets the tyre surface bend and shape itself according to the road surface. Useless for climbing sharp rocks tho'.

This you tube clip does a great demonstration of it.

I am also looking for a new set of tires. I am again tending to/go for bfg muds.
This mainly because in my favorite tire size for the 80 (255/85/16) I have not yet found AT's.

The Cooper ST is or was available in 255/85R16
If I were you i'd get 285/75R16, much more choice and looks better on the 80 ;)

Indeed. Sipes on a proper winter tyre.

20170911_142404.jpg

You can't get the ST anymore I'm afraid. I had the 255 85 and it was truly a great tyre. Something to do with the environment and the EU

I've just been browsing utube and the interweb regarding adding sipes to block tread mud style tyres. You don't get that close-together wiggly style of course, but reports are good even from quite amateurish looking efforts. There's an electric groove/sipe tool available from a number of suppliers, maybe worth getting one to cut some sipes into my current set of half-worn BFG KM2s :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They're still a good set of tyres Chris :icon-biggrin:
Will be going on when order my new 35's. Want to get the rims blasted and re coated before fresh rubber goes on.

Have proper winter tyres for the Beemer, it means it can be used even if it snows.

I recall the trucks I drove having the treads recut, the guys used to just run down the deeper part of the tread, sipes did not come into it. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

I've just been browsing utube and the interweb regarding adding sipes to block tread mud style tyres. You don't get that close-together wiggly style of course, but reports are good even from quite amateurish looking efforts. There's an electric groove/sipe tool available from a number of suppliers, maybe worth getting one to cut some sipes into my current set of half-worn BFG KM2s :think:
The yanks are fond of doing this clive, iirc some tyre fitting places also offer it as a service.

I recall the trucks I drove having the treads recut, the guys used to just run down the deeper part of the tread, sipes did not come into it. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave
My father still has one of the grooving machines dave. He used to re-groove his landrover tyres. Ill get a pic at some point

Hay Gary, I'd forgotten that you'd had those from me. I just couldn't get the 4th one I needed for a set.

My father still has one of the grooving machines dave. He used to re-groove his landrover tyres. Ill get a pic at some point

What I saw on utube was a grooving tool, where the 'U' shaped grooving blade was reversible, for use as a sipe cutter. It gave 2 sipes per stroke apps 5mm apart, so you could split that spacing with a second cut, giving sipes every 2.5mm or so.

I like the muds in soft fresh snow, but they're useless on anything hard-packed or ice. I recon some siping could give you some decent performance all round when the snow comes.

Cooper STT (owl) were discontinued quite some time ago to make room for the STT Pro something many stockists refused to admit when i was looking to replace mine with the same pattern so you might come across some new/old owls still .

I only skipped through the thread but yours are pro Chris .

What I saw on utube was a grooving tool, where the 'U' shaped grooving blade was reversible, for use as a sipe cutter. It gave 2 sipes per stroke apps 5mm apart, so you could split that spacing with a second cut, giving sipes every 2.5mm or so.

I like the muds in soft fresh snow, but they're useless on anything hard-pack or ice. I recon some siping could give you some decent performance all round when the snow comes.
Sounds a handy tool. Muds and to a slightly lesser extent ats are very good in deep snow, but as you have noticed, hard pack, slush and a couple of inches is where they struggle and proper winters come into there own.

Yeah I've always looked for sipes in my mud tyres, absolutely essential if you plan on driving in the wet on tarmac, let alone off road.

Owen

Well order placed today for a set of Cooper stt pro, should be here in the next couple of days

Back