Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Now this is winching

I like that :cool: I was only looking @ the Gigglepin web site last week :mrgreen: Mmmmm.......milky milky :drool:

That is moving a substantial amount of mud!!!!

I do want to go watch one of those events sometime & Corwen isn't far from me - I must get more organised...

I was speaking with a chap rescently who said the top players can take up to 20 spare motors for one of those winches to a weekends event :shock:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sae70 said:
I was speaking with a chap rescently who said the top players can take up to 20 spare motors for one of those winches to a weekends event :shock:
Umm not sure who the top players are- but i know Jason Farr very well, Simon Buck reasonably well, Nick Watts (rogue vogue) well, as well as Bob Treebloke and his lot.

most of them run twin 24v 8274 with uprated mainshafts and drums as well as occasional gear changes as well.

Probably see 1-2 motors at each round of the howling wolf get used up- at worst i've seen 6 i think- but that's for ALL the competitors. Know that Dave Bowyer will carry 5-10 bowmotors to most events he attends. Considering the abuse they go through its amazing the motors handle things so well, and when you go for twin 24v motors there's very little chance of burnig a motor out! You're more likely to blow a battery up as it fast discharges, or melt your wiring if its not in the best condition.

I'd guess that's the price you pay for not only fast line speed but very high torque too. I've not seen fast winches before and had presumed that they were mostly used to winch fairly light vehicles with little resistance (other then the incline) very quickly. But that really is pulling tonnes - literally. There must be significant wear on just about everything. Looks like a costly pastime.

C

pugwash said:
sae70 said:
Umm not sure who the top players are- but i know Jason Farr very well, Simon Buck reasonably well, Nick Watts (rogue vogue) well, as well as Bob Treebloke and his lot.

most of them run twin 24v 8274 with uprated mainshafts and drums as well as occasional gear changes as well.

Probably see 1-2 motors at each round of the howling wolf get used up- at worst i've seen 6 i think- but that's for ALL the competitors. Know that Dave Bowyer will carry 5-10 bowmotors to most events he attends. Considering the abuse they go through its amazing the motors handle things so well, and when you go for twin 24v motors there's very little chance of burnig a motor out! You're more likely to blow a battery up as it fast discharges, or melt your wiring if its not in the best condition.
Mmmm........I guess that's what you get for being the third or fourth person down the line when hearing a story for the first time :roll: :lol: It came from m8 who rescently purchased an hydraulic winch for his LR90 this is what the chap selling him the winch told him :| Actually now I think about it I guess he would as his argument would be that you wouldn't need all of those motors with a hydraulic winch :roll: :oops: :lol:

Even so even if you are only getting through two or three its enough :shock: Thank's for putting me right without to many flames :thumbup:

Wow they are fast winches :shock:

But im sorry i really cant see thew point in winching that far around a course. Surely you would look at that slop and say what is the point :doh:

I like challenges but with a bit of skill invloved and some technical parts or am i missing the point here.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
im sorry i really cant see thew point in winching that far around a course. Surely you would look at that slop and say what is the point
It's because we are British & barmey :p I love it & why wouldn't you :?: :D

A m8 & myself spent three attempts and then a whole day pushing our way through a Byway that had not been used for many many years :D TOR did a road book up to it but then ducked out of crossing it & its only 75 meters long @ best :lol:

We filmed it if you want to watch it :) It's in two parts I'm in the Vit & my m8's in the LR :|

A bit off topic as no winching but proves a point :arrow: we are all a bit barmey arn't we :?: :p :whistle:

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39pLUsgbcE

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-UXHj5ZVEo

silvercruiser said:

But im sorry i really cant see thew point in winching that far around a course. Surely you would look at that slop and say what is the point :doh:

I like challenges but with a bit of skill invloved and some technical parts or am i missing the point here.

Joe

Yeah I agree I failed to see the fun in that.....

TonyP said:
silvercruiser said:

Joe

Yeah I agree I failed to see the fun in that.....

ahh its brilliant- don't knock it til you've tried it- its the fact that you are getting a vehicle through something you struggle to walk through.

Of course a lot of winches in competitions aren't used to get through bogs- they get you up unbeleivable steep hills (and back down again), stop you falling over, help you clear a course quicker than you could do it by driving round the obstacle, or even make it possible to get to a a punch.

Of course the other thing about having a much more powerful winch is that its under less load, and with an electrical winch for the first 80% of load you don't pull much current- the last 20% of torque from the motor pulls all the current and uts your wiring and batteries under strain- more importantly its at this point that the motor starts to overheat- either you stop or dump 24v through for a bit to speed the motor up.

If you have a leccy winch thats close to stalling and you double line it, the line speed at the drum will more than double as the performance curve changes (whilst double lining means the winch has to pull twice the rope in to go the same distance, the fact that the motor spins well far more than twice as fast means that you don't halve the line speed- sometimes yo uactually end up moving faster!)

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a impressive bit of winching, and in a compitition I can see why you would want to go through there etc, but I would rather be doing somthing a bit more technical with winching (like you second set of examples) then using astrong winch to pull a heavy vehicle through loads of mud.

What I want to see is a vehicle getting through that WITHOUT a winch. That's proper bog gobbling. Might need tracks though instead of wheels. Hmm.

Chris

Chris said:
What I want to see is a vehicle getting through that WITHOUT a winch. That's proper bog gobbling. Might need tracks though instead of wheels. Hmm.

Chris

hmm well you're into americna bog runs for that- but the vehices are unsable anywhere else.

The most effective "useable" vehicle i know is Mouse built by Jez Goodwin (of flyingspanners.net) to tackle the Ladoga Trophy and the Croatian challenge series. but its got a 400bhp chevy v8, 38" bogger tyres and portal axles- a truly superb piece of kit.

pugwash said:
The most effective "useable" vehicle i know is Mouse built by Jez Goodwin (of flyingspanners.net)
It just so happens that Jez has spent last weekend under the bonnet of my green car :dance: I have had a load of hydraulic hoses made up today. Final fitting this coming weekend. If my new system works as well as he says it will (and I have no reason at all to think it won't) I will have an amazing winch. Oh yes . . .

Ian

Gav Peter said:
You will have to disable it for Lincomb Ian ;)

Erm, let me think about that for a nano second.

A couple of preview install pictures

DSC00104Medium.jpg

DSC00105Medium.jpg

Back