Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nu' 10 meeting, bad whatever.

As Frank states, alcohol at work, instant dismissal. It was always that when I was working.
Anne Widdecombe on tv this a.m. said they often had "working lunches" with wine, and she didn't see a problem with it. They say alcohol clouds your judgement, they had none to start with !
Another them and us !!
They think we are stupid Karl, but thats insignificant as to their own stupidity when excuses and apologies are given, after saying there was no party. FFS !!

Just to be clear, as a technicality, alcohol at work is an ENTIRELY company related policy. There is NO law at all saying that you cannot consume alcohol during work hours. It would make being a wine taster or a distiller for example very difficult as it would having a business lunch in many cases.

Train driver? Different scenario.

when i worked on building sites in germany, it was normal to have a beer at brotzeit, mittag and feierabend.
then one on the way home from work in the old merc van. then they would go to the kneipe and have a couple more.

yes, most of them were raving alcoholics.

i of course refrained from such behavior..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its a red herring designed to take the plebs eyes off the ball and i can't get excited about it.
When you compare the complete destruction meted out to the country as a whole by this govt doing the bidding of oligarchs and those seeking world domination, the deaths in loneliness and isolation and life changing injuries already happened and all those to come resulting directly from their decisions a back slapping party by the same criminals who did as they were bidden by their handlers is very low down the list of charges they should be facing at Nuremberg 2, which won't happen anyway because such people never have to answer.
The parties have however opened many eyes to the utter contempt the ruling class have for the rest of us plebs, but don't let the parties be the thing you should be angry about, among their lists of crimes against humanity and all that is good its nothing.

They have nothing to offer , so instead they create a lot of hot air by slagging off those who did exactly the same thing as they themselves would have done if they were in power .

Meanwhile in the real world not much changes .

Below is dated 2005 and i really can't be bothered to find out if its still true .

Can you smoke in Parliament bar?

"It [the Palace of Westminster] is not technically covered by the ban. That is right," said a parliamentary spokesman. "In bars where food is served smoking is banned but it is still allowed in all the bars that don't serve food except Strangers' bar where it is banned. ... MPs can smoke in their offices if they want to."

Sliding scale indeed Frank, where does that start and end, with the government being exempt of course. lol.

I don't know why (if they do) different employers should adopt a different attitude to drinking at work. Yes, some jobs have more responsibility than others, so what, does that make it ok for some and not others ? We all know the effects alcohol can have, and different amounts can have different effects on different individuals which could impact on workmates and/or the general public, whether by action or decision.
If it is deemed ok for certain jobs to drink at work, and not others, maybe even working for the same company, that is ludicrous. Even a road sweeper could do serious damage to passers by, lashing out with his broom/shovel, but that is on a small scale compared to a train driver, but that's alright ?

If it was a party it was illegal. If it was work they should not have been using a drug (alcohol). Most people get the sack for drinking at work. Even my GP did. Down with Johnson.
Tbh, I couldn't give two hoots.
Problem is its a huge distraction when they should be cracking on with the job in hand.

I bet Andrew drank at work. If you are in line for the throne I would think you are always on duty. Even the Aussies can't untwist their rules. Novac, Is that short for No vaccination? = petri dish walking.

Tbh, I couldn't give two hoots.
Problem is its a huge distraction when they should be cracking on with the job in hand.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

The job in hand being making as much money for themselves and their chums as possible via dodgy contracts and sleaze, whilst everyone else is worrying about their post-Covid lives in a post-Brexit economy..... certainly wouldn't want the public's attention to shift to the government's activities.

That might cause protests, or even riots!
But don't worry, this government is ahead of the curve; it's already thought of that and given itself (bypassing much of the normal parliamentary scrutiny) the power to crack down on what most public might consider moral causes.

As you say, crack on! ;)

Just to be really clear, again. I am not advocating whether people should or should not be allowed to consume alcohol in any measure whilst at work during paid or even unpaid hours. As a moderator one of the things I have to TRY and do is make sure that what people type is factually correct, not slanderous and so forth. Difficult at times given the tide of non Cruiser related **** that some of you chaps seem to love posting. :whistle:

My point was, before anyone started down the wrong track, that there is no universal UK legislation that prevents the consumption of alcohol in this way. It wouldn't work. Do I want my brain surgeon quaffing a quick claret before going in? Well of course not. Do I care if the pilot of my private jet is draining the dregs of the champagne flutes before we take off. Of course, it's mine and he's stealing it. But do I care if a person in a non machine operating, non public contact, non nuclear button pressing occupation celebrates something with a small glass of Chablis at lunchtime. Jeez, if we do we'd better all just dig a hole, climb in and be covered over. Have the debate or sure, but just know that suggesting we should sack half the government because having a drink at work is a criminal offence - it isn't. The phrase 'tree, up the, barking and wrong' springs to mind.
And before you start, having A drink is not the same as being smashed out of your tree. That's about conduct. And my question would be... Why wasn't I invited? Someone pass the cheese and nibbles please.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

The job in hand being making as much money for themselves and their chums as possible via dodgy contracts and sleaze, whilst everyone else is worrying about their post-Covid lives in a post-Brexit economy..... certainly wouldn't want the public's attention to shift to the government's activities.

That might cause protests, or even riots!
But don't worry, this government is ahead of the curve; it's already thought of that and given itself (bypassing much of the normal parliamentary scrutiny) the power to crack down on what most public might consider moral causes.

As you say, crack on! ;)
i wont be drawn...

:icon-smile:

Back