Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Obligatory first snow of the winter photo

No snow here yet this Winter, so far so good! :thumbup::thumbup: Maybe we'll just get a warm wet one this year.

We had a mini hurricane here in South London, a 30 sec walk from the supermarket to my car and I had to change clothes when I got home, the wind was so strong the rain was horizontal, :icon-surprised: I was soaked.
1/2 an hour before I was shooting arrows in sunshine, very windy mind but sunny.

Ok I'll admit to that!!

Its depressing when your walking through it while getting rained on though!!

Totally off topic, but I meant to ask you this before for future reference, on the transfagarasan road (DN67c), when you get to the dam and the road crosses over the dam turning to the right, where does the other track/road that goes straight on bring you?

Err....

First, believe the Transfagarasan is the DN 7C.

Second, the road I think you mean looks like a forest/Vidrarul Maintenance road. I've never been on it, and it may be restricted due to it's proximity to the reservoir.
Am I talking about the same road as you? The yellow running from the dam at the bottom of the map up the left side of the lake?

If yes, it appears to meet the Transfagarasan again at the northern tip of Vidrarul.

I hope this helps :icon-biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
DSCN1109.JPGSorry fat fingers moment there!

That's the one, I was curious because I drove a little way up it. That's coming back down again towards the tunnel it goes through.

The map I had showed it coming out and linking again and it proved to be a pretty good one. A German map by Reise, I've just never got into GPS/Sat stuff!

I tried to ask in the place I stayed that night a bit further on but their was only 10x better than my Romanian so I didn't get very far!

Wet, mud, wet mud and more mud here :( Getting a bot cheezed off with it now. even the trails in the forest behind are a sea of mud and there are 3 labbydoors who insist on going for walkies a couple of times a day - running out of dog towels & the hair driers wearing out! Need ice and snow ASAP but nothing on the horizon :(

Wet, mud, wet mud and more mud here :( Getting a bot cheezed off with it now. even the trails in the forest behind are a sea of mud and there are 3 labbydoors who insist on going for walkies a couple of times a day - running out of dog towels & the hair driers wearing out! Need ice and snow ASAP but nothing on the horizon :(

I have two labs and i know how muddy the house/car gets but adding another i can feel your pain. roll on summer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
its been snowing all morning, got 1cm of wet snow, some roads closed in NE scotland,

will head out later to see if deep enough for a ski in one of the local forest trails

View attachment 11442Sorry fat fingers moment there!

That's the one, I was curious because I drove a little way up it. That's coming back down again towards the tunnel it goes through.

The map I had showed it coming out and linking again and it proved to be a pretty good one. A German map by Reise, I've just never got into GPS/Sat stuff!

I tried to ask in the place I stayed that night a bit further on but their was only 10x better than my Romanian so I didn't get very far!

I'm not surprised yogi! :lol:

I'm not sure of that road mind, only how it looks on the map. I'm more interested in the tracks "local" to me at the moment for w/e runs, but I would like to explore further afield.

We had another foot of snow today, in the open (no drifting) there's 60cm in my garden and it's still snowing. On TV they announced Code Red and I'm worried now the police will block out journey back to Bucharest. We're leaving in 10 mins!

Ffs. Can you send it here please Clive...

It would be my pleasure Karl, but the postage might be a bit steep!

Got back to Bucharest safely, but it was slow going on many stretches that were just packed snow. I tell you, after 90 or so kms of that driving, I was glad I had my new BFG MUDS on!

I know now the debate, but in practice, I could feel them biting whereas on Saturday, still running on the half worn GG AT2s, I was drifting on the surface.

Just my observation and opinion, I don't really want to start the debate off again, interesting though it was. Also the BFGs are new and very sharp blocks! :icon-biggrin:

Funnily, most people I saw today were either ok or digging themselves out. When I got back to Bucharest, the only parking space available was a 1.5m drift between 2 cars that weren't going anywhere for a while. Muggins ended up digging himself in! Got in though, with only 2 attempts. It was funny and a bit embarrassing actually, 4 lads stood and watched me and applauded when I finished. (They must love 80s too) :lol:

I'm not surprised yogi! :lol:

I'm not sure of that road mind, only how it looks on the map. I'm more interested in the tracks "local" to me at the moment for w/e runs, but I would like to explore further afield.

I've just been chatting to my missus and she reminded me that her father was the guy who commissioned the construction of the Transfagarasan, when he was the Minister of Forestry.

So, the plan is to ask him and get some proper details. He's 93 now but still going strong, he's in the middle of writing his third and fourth books at the moment. There can't be many 93 year olds lugging a laptop around writing word documents and researching the web like he does!

Fair play to him! I would be very curious, hopefully I'll be back that way this year in my 80!!

On a similar note my grandmother broke her hip 3 weeks ago (she is 94) and is supposedly getting out of hospital Wed to go back to her house and continue to live on her own! Hopefully we will be that fresh at that age!

Fair play to him! I would be very curious, hopefully I'll be back that way this year in my 80!!

On a similar note my grandmother broke her hip 3 weeks ago (she is 94) and is supposedly getting out of hospital Wed to go back to her house and continue to live on her own! Hopefully we will be that fresh at that age!

To close this off-thread drift, I sincerely wish her a speedy recovery! The old man still lives alone too! :icon-biggrin: (PM me when you come over, maybe we can meet up:think:)

Last edited:
Well it's still snowing. These are the cars parked outside our block. It's -8C and falling. :lol:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 65
although 99.9% of UK population will be blissfully unaware of it :)

in the Scottish mountains, above 600m - massive snow depths are building up, deepest for many years

here are comparison pics comparing last year (hut visible), and this year (hut buried!)

a hut by Goose T-bar at Nevis Range ski centre (Fort William)
Tower 4 - 2013.jpgTower 4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Andy, that's a good couple of meters thereabouts, amazing!

The snowing has almost stopped here now but it's getting rather cold, -16C forecast for tonight in Bucharest and it's -15C already...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 91
Back