Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OEM immobiliser

Snap ! Exactly the same on mine, same multi-plugs. I can even see your 4x 7.5 amp fuses.

Where the alarm module then?

There are some very non Toyota looking bits in there. The fuse block and a singe bullet connector too. The other plugs do look genuine.

We need Karl, a bucket full of modules and some blippers!

Hmm, bit coincidental that they should both be missing,

The alarm box should be screwed to the large bulkhead pipe high up just underneath the dash surface with 2 self taping screws. The immobiliser box is a separate unit sometimes to the left but high up. The only thing I can see in Chrises picture is the red wires which have the fuses. The problem is the workshop manuals were supplied with the alarm kits to Toyota and their engineers fitted them. Quality of work varied greatly. Mine was fitted correctly and has been 100% reliable apart from when I disconnect the batteries.

If parts of the alarm are missing it's curtains as the fobs are preprogramed with these. The immobilisers came in batches and have labels on their backs with a number. If you have the same number immobiliser as your original it will work. It is keyed to the alarm, not the fob, that just tells the alarm to turn the immobiliser on.

I have a PDF available which ought to be put on the "manuals" section.

Frank

Hmmm.

If we can get some photos of what's needed we can go from there.

Mine doesn't work as well. It did do until 4 months ago :(

I think you've both missed the modules. They are very high up. That white plug Chris is nothing to do with the modules. They have millions of pins in each connector if not more :icon-biggrin:

Sleep well
Frank

Frank, I am wise to these after market Yota alarms and so I did have a look right up inside, but as it's cold and dark and holding a torch, it wasn't very productive. But couldn't see any alien stuff at all. Will look again in the light.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I have been out there again and I have to say I cannot see anything in there at all. I can see right up to the dash vent area where there is a nice collection of dead wasps etc but nothing that doesn't have a Toyota sticker on it saying what it is - eg electronic emission control. Not a thing.

I rather think that it's curtains for this one. Once I get it all poshed up, it might be a case of having a decent alarm fitted. I do have a Waeco key fob central locking set but frankly there are that many wires I just keel over every time I try to read the instructions. It would be good to fit that. I think Matt fitted one to his so it IS possible.

I have found even more bunches of plugs in there but they might be ABS. I don't have ABS but under the bonnet there are a corresponding number of very similar plugs where the unit normally would sit.

Chris everything looks original with the scorpion 5000 as they are black boxes with "TOYOTA" embossed on them. The harness is also taped to the Toyota harness.

Do you have the siren still?

Frank

Morning Frank, like I said anything that I can see has a Toyota patch saying WHAT it is. Nothing says Toyota Alarm, immobiliser, TVSS or anything at all. I can only see a couple of boxes in any case. Some heater bits, emission control and such. There are a heck of a lot of loose plugs in there and some do look un Toyota like. There is a light blue female bullet connector for eg. When did Mr T use bullet connectors?

Yes the siren module is still on the inner wing where the ABS would sit. That is branded Toyota. There is a bonnet plunger above the wiper motor area that has been disconnected. It has a small eye on the end and looks as though it was originally connected to the plunger. It rather feels as though a PO has had problems and just pulled the lot out.

Mine doesn't work as well. It did do until 4 months ago :(
The later ones like yours and mine have a different system to what's currently being discussed Karl so the bits are different and in different places plus we have coded keys and that security fitting on the fuel shut off solenoid. Some of the parts are still available from Toyota and it is documented in a Toyota service manual e.g. how to add / remove fobs, perform diagnostics etc.

Might have to agree with you Chris. The alarm/immobiliser boxes just say "TOYOTA" on them with no other description but as the bonnet switch sounds original to the 5000 alarm and has been disconnected the other parts could have gone. I have a drawing board if you need one.

Frank

Right,

Have had a proper look behind the glove box and I can clearly see where the unit would have been fitted. It's been removed, although everything else is still in place and connected. Bonnet plunger siren, etc etc.

Its a PITA as I have to use a key to lock/unlock. So looks like a new alarm is needed.

Thanks for the heads-up Frank, 'twas a great help.

What a pity. Two non existent alarms to think about. I have spoken to the man at Scorpion several times who designed this alarm. They did get a bad reputation for packing up but he thought due to poor fitting. Mine was fitted in Scotland and has been the best alarm I've ever had. I have often found that rural people take more pride in their work than those in more heavily populated areas.

Frank

Yep, I think the alarm pixies have been in there. Need to consider how to proceed. One thing is for sure, if I go to foreign climes, I shall want a noise box to give me some warning at least. Won't stop them nicking the valve caps, but pinching the entire contents may not be quite so easy.

Well that is all resolved. New Sterling One fitted yesterday. Fitter arrived at 08.15 and left at 15.15. Oops it was supposed to be a 2 hour fit. He thought he was onto a winner to start with - original alarm removed, he knew the system and said he could tap into the tails off the old loom and be gone in a flash. All was going well until...... the doors wouldn't lock on the fob. Really odd - I can't recite the whole sequence, but the system worked fine until a door was opened and closed. The interior lights somehow cancelled the remote door locking. The only way to bring it back was to turn the key in the door and it would go again. This went on all day. I have never seen a guy cut an resolder so many wires. It was not the alarm module, we proved that. I suspect that the unit was ripped out by a PO in frustration at some fault that was occurring back then. The fault is somehow embedded in the vehicle but we couldn't find it. There really is nothing to show except the sounder and the fob so here you are. I went for a slightly more expensive alarm, mid range really, but if you want a simple door locker and alarm without ultrasonics etc then there are some cheap options from GAP. My experience with GAP was not without a hitch, but I guess I just had bad luck. The paper work was late, the fitter didn't return my call, the power to their building went off whilst I was talking to them yadda yadda. But the alarm install was done properly and they have answered all my emails so far. Thing is that you may say, Ahh, one to avoid then. But if you are fitting one to an 80 that has the same issue as mine did then you may well be better drawing on their knowledge of this issue. They ran a by pass in the end directly into the arm rest switch which cured it.

So all fitted and protected plus a pair of nice new fobs to lock and unlock.

P1010296.JPG
P1010295.JPG

Hi Chris

Real nightmare, car wiring. The 80's fitted with Scorpion alarms came with connectors and fuse box to fit an alarm if needed. So yes looks like a PO did not disconnect from these original points. I tried to get to the back of my fuse box once as I wanted to check something but found it impossible!

BTW I have discovered another immobiliser on my 80 as when the engine would not start after I fitted the test gearbox I found an earth wire leading to a mysterious black box which was nothing to do with the Scorpion alarm and immobiliser. I have not got a clue what controls it but it is connected to the fuse box and wiring harness by 8 identical black wires so it's staying there!

Hope it remains reliable for you.

Frank

It should have been very easy Frank looking at what he had to connect. Quite simple. He had a dedicated set of instructions for the vehicle with all the colour codes noted. Tap into those, mount the sounder, bonnet plunger and fire it up. It really should have been that simple. All the loom was there from the post factory install right down to the multi plugs and fuses. Alarm control unit had simply been unplugged and removed. So what was causing this problem is a mystery. Only non std items in terms of lectrics are sunroof, a mobile phone car kit removed a VERY long time ago and the original alarm. Nothing else has been touched. But it was creating some signal somewhere. Everything worked except unlock after triggering the inside light. Really strange. He wired straight to the relay. Still didn't work. In the end he wired into the door switch and mimicked the operation of that - and that worked.

Reminds me must look into a new remote as its a bit hit and miss lol.

Back